F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What product do you use to clean your rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I am in the process of a trial with Sonax Wheel cleaner. I'm not yet convinced this is a long term solution. I'd like to know if anyone has cquartzed (or similar) their wheels. If the brake dust and dirt don't stick, it's likely an easy wash off with normal car shampoo.
My wheels are opti-coated and the break dust still sticks. I didn't have that problem with my opti-coated BMW wheels. They stayed clean for a long time.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by F12guy
My wheels are opti-coated and the break dust still sticks. I didn't have that problem with my opti-coated BMW wheels. They stayed clean for a long time.
Does Jag have stickier brake dust? Any ideas why the difference?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Griot's Garage wheel cleaner. Works pretty well. For the tires I use Chemical Guys Silk Shine. Lasts a long time and doesn't have a tendency to sling. Not really part of this thread, but for window cleaning, Griot's Garage window cleaner is the best I've ever used.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
I learned that the "coating" option mentioned by some of the posters here, is the best practice. It makes beautiful sense that if you can cover the wheels right away with a layer of something that repels contaminants and dirt, it will make some of the brake dust lift right off with soapwater.

But here is the surprise many owners didn't catch on to: Since your wheels are really just PAINTED surfaces, you can rub them with the same PAINT SEALER you use on your car body. Literally apply a coating of the treatment to your perfectly clean wheels (preferably in the first few days of ownership).

I applied everybody's very inexpensive noobie paint sealer: NuFinish Car Polish. Shines up and beads water on the wheels just like on the paintwork.

Then, to actually do the cleaning, Eagle One A2Z All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It clings to the wheel, wheelwell, brake calipers, struts. Four minutes later, hose it off, and everything not only comes clean, but the aluminum shines. I'm not sure if it's the Eagle One that makes it so sparkling, or the NuFinish coating, but Bravo!
This is also VERY mild compared to Eagle One's other brake dust products. No foul smells, no staining or damage to the car's paint, rubber, plastic. But If you keep using it regualrly, the brake dust can easily overwhelm the cleaner and you have to start rubbing with brushes and clothes to get the stubborn areas.

With Eagle One A2Z, I wouldn't recommend letting the dirt stay on your wheels longer than two weekends. It's that mild.
I've used the standard Eagle 1 Wheel Cleaner in the past, which works seriously GREAT, but you can tell from the smell that this has cutting agents in it you don't even want your enemy's pittbull dog to get splashed on him. I'm willing to go with the softer A2Z All Wheel Cleaner, and just not let the dirt get ahead of me.
Along these lines but a far superior product... REJEX

Rejex<br/>

It is a wax like application and an absolutely a game changer.

Note; it requires your wheels to be clean and free of wax - so a good washing is in order. I find it much easier to jack up the car and remove the wheel one at a time. It goes on an off like wax, except slightly more difficult to buff off. It last about 5 serious de-grease cleanings before reapplication. With soap and water only about 10 - 15 cleanings.

For boats it is the ONLY product that will allow a quick cleaning of a diesel-sooted transom. For airplanes, I'm told its the only thing that allows one to clean off exhaust streaks.

Lots of good advice on this thread, but trust me on this one - you'll thank me later - allows you to clean your wheels with soap and water. Nice product for whomever makes it. I buy off ebay.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Like the alternate suggestions here. Iron-X has that 'turns purple' nerd factor but it is a little spendy.

I did wax my powdercoated rims with RIMWAX before mounting them, but after a 2-3 week period I've noticed that brake dust clings on just as much.

A mild cleaner, soft brush and a not-over-the-top pressure washer with a filter system in-line for rinsing seems like the best choice.

Living in Portland I also have to deal with rain almost all the time and getting over the whole 'not driving in the rain' BS. It is a car. To be enjoyed.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I was reading on here about a tire shine that does not make the tires shine like the show room but cleans them and gives them a nice matte finish.. I cannot find said post, anybody know the product?

Edit: After 20mins of searching I found it
right here right here

Last edited by Holy F type; 04-06-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
I was reading on here about a tire shine that does not make the tires shine like the show room but cleans them and gives them a nice matte finish.. I cannot find said post, anybody know the product?

Edit: After 20mins of searching I found it
right here right here
That stuff is awesome. Sonax tire gloss. You can control the shine pretty well by how much you apply.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
That stuff is awesome. Sonax tire gloss. You can control the shine pretty well by how much you apply.
Plus it won't turn your [black] tire brown, as some tire treatments will.