F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Replacement Tires Have You Found To Perform Best With Your F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Replacement Tires Have You Found To Perform Best With Your F-Type R?

I'm interested in people's experiences. An obvious choice would be to go with Michelin P4s tires, but they are purely warm weather tires, not recommended for use under 40 degrees, and wear fairly quickly. Great tires though, and I have had them on two cars.

Given its awd abilities, while I would never choose to take an F-Type out in snowy conditions, I would also like to have the ability to drive it at least occasionally on completely dry, clear days between November and mid April here in Michigan. Five and a half to six months is simply longer than I am willing to go without the joy of driving the car. And, even on dry, clear days, there are very seldom going to be any of those days above forty degrees where I live.

To accomplish this, you need either two sets of wheels, one mounted with summer tires, and one mounted with winter tires, or extreme performance all seasons. At one time, I would have agreed with the the commonly held opinion that all season tires are, in reality, no season tires. However, advancements have been very significant in this class. I recently replaced the stock tires on my Honda Type R, which are extreme summer tires, and super grippy, to such a degree that people are only getting 7-8k miles on them, with no tracking. And, worse yet, by the 3500-45-- mile mark, drivers are consistently reporting that they have lost an unusually significant measure of their newer performance. Add to that the fact that they are not rated for use much below 45 degrees per the engineer I spoke to. They are also custom run for Honda's use in the Type-R's and are specified to contain higher percentage of race level rubber in their compounds. At the suggestion of several people in the Type R forums, I replaced them with an advanced ultra high performance all season tire and was shocked at how very close it is to the originals in performance.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I recently fitted Michelin PS AS 4 all-season UHP tires to my R-Dynamic.
They seem to handle as well or even better than the oem Summer P-Zeros.
I am thinking of selling my PZ's ( rears are unmounted brand new) and staying year round with the Michelins.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I recently fitted Michelin PS AS 4 all-season UHP tires to my R-Dynamic.
They seem to handle as well or even better than the oem Summer P-Zeros.
I am thinking of selling my PZ's ( rears are unmounted brand new) and staying year round with the Michelins.
I could certainly see that being a logical option!

Old 03-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm the same way. We drive ours all year. I don't want two sets of wheels and tires. Our tires get old before they wear out. I replaced our Pzeros with soem Continental DWS 6+. Couldn't be happier. They are go flats, but the ride is better and they are quieter. In the past I've always ran Pilot A/S but couldn't find anyone who had the right size. The Continentals were recommended to me here and they have been great!

Old 03-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

There is a pretty recent thread on this with feedback. I have the AS4's on a Challenger and they are really good. Not as good as the drag radial for performance, but they have not had any significant issues keeping the car planted even with stupid power. I had issues with MPS4S's on the f-type so I finally gave up and put Firehawk Indy 500's on there which have been great.

Last edited by gg2684; 03-11-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
There is a pretty recent thread on this with feedback. I have the AS4's on a Challenger and they are really good. Not as good as the drag radial for performance, but they have not had any significant issues keeping the car planted even with stupid power. I had issues with MPS4S's on the f-type so I finally gave up and put Firehawk Indy 500's on there which have been great.
I'm curious, what were your issues with the MPS4s?

Old 03-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by crashxx
I'm the same way. We drive ours all year. I don't want two sets of wheels and tires. Our tires get old before they wear out. I replaced our Pzeros with soem Continental DWS 06+. Couldn't be happier. They are go flats, but the ride is better and they are quieter. In the past I've always ran Pilot A/S but couldn't find anyone who had the right size. The Continentals were recommended to me here and they have been great!
The Conti DWS 6+ are exactly the tires I was talking about using as replacement for the OEM's on my Honda Type-R. I have been incredibly pleased with them, and am considering them as the way too go with the used F-Type R. These tires perform so well that a friend who has just gone through two sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and had been very happy, after driving my car, switched to the DWS 06+ and thinks they are clearly superior.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
Thanks, I did not initially find that recent thread, but will also look for it.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:23 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Not sure if it was a misaligned structural issue but the balancing was difficult, they made noise on one side and pulled. moved them around, ordered a couple more, but still just didnt feel good and I dont have the time to go back and forth and test drive etc. I got them from Discount tire and they didnt even carry the Firestone's, but they ordered them for me. Put the Indy's on, got it aligned just as a precaution and it has been good to go since. And no, the alignment was not the reason - it was green on all 4 and only required a a few small adjustments to get center green. I've had great and not so great Michelins before; one of the reasons I switched to Hankook and Continental for a few years. The AS4's were great right out of the gate so I'll chalk it up to a couple bad shoes for the MPS4S.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Based on what was said here I think I am going to go with Pilot Sport A/S when I replace my tires this spring. I will probably get another month of driving season with them and not suffer much loss in the handling department. I am going to replace the TPMS units too. They are probably getting near end of life at ~ 8 years old.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 03-14-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Based on what was said here I think I am going to go with Pilot Sport A/S when I replace my tires this spring. I will probably get another month of driving season with them and not suffer much loss in the handling department. I am going to replace the TPMS units too. They are probably getting near end of life at ~ 8 years old.
Certainly nothing at all wrong with the Pilot Sport A/S. But I would suggest that you read the Tire rack ratings for this class of tire and look at what is on top.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

So I just had new tires and TPMS sensors installed (the TPMSS were 8 years old). I decided to go with MPS 4S instead of the MPS A/S 4. I used VDO/Continental TPMS sensors - 315 mHz p/n SE52029 from RockAuto @ $45 ea. Supposedly these are OEM but see below.

I bought the tires from tire rack and used their mobile installation service @$30/tire (no charge to install TPMSS or dispose of old tires). The showed up when they said they would and were very courteous and quick. The only complaint I have is they didn't do a good job of removing the old wheel weight adhesive. I usually remove stick on weights and the adhesive myself before a new tire install but I forgot this time.

Did a quick test drive to check the balance and TPMSS function and the balance was good to high speed and no pressure warning lights so the sensor sync was OK. It is amazing how quiet new tires are and how the steering livened up with no tram lining on the highway.

BTW a photo of one of the old FoMoCo TPMSS is below:

Last edited by RGPV6S; 04-08-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
So I just had new tires and TPMS sensors installed (the TPMSS were 8 years old). I decided to go with MPS 4S instead of the MPS A/S 4. I used VDO/Continental TPMS sensors - 315 mHz p/n SE52029 from RockAuto @ $45 ea. Supposedly these are OEM but see below.
They changed the frequency of the TPMS sensors in I believe 2016 to 433 Mhz.

I tried the Falken AZENIS FK510 and now have the Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS. Both were vast improvements over the P-Zeros. The Falkens had great grip, but only lasted something like 15,000 miles. The Bridgestones are All Season, but don't let the AWD badge on the car fool you. It's basically a rear wheel drive car that can add some power to the front wheels when pushing it. It's nothing like the traditional AWD systems on cars made to handle adverse weather.