F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the widest tires that will fit a F Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
If one is going to have custom rims made to fit both the car and tire, is there a reason - aside from the additional weight - you would not have the rim made to the ideal size for the tire.
None whatsoever. In fact, if using custom rims, the weight issue can be mitigated by going with forged rather than OEM similar cast wheels.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe the OEM is a 38mm offset. For a 15mm extension, you'd want a 32 mm offset on an 11 inch rim and 325 tire. (Foosh's calculations were correct) However, the rear tire would then be about 2.5% larger in diameter than the front. This may create issues if you have an AWD.

Was just going off this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ounted-158437/

You are also right on about keeping the overall diameter within reason. I once tried to mount a 305/35/20 and the car absolutely freaked out.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running 305/30R20 tires in the back with no problem.

Something that no one has mentioned yet is that different brands of tires have different tread widths. In fact, even the same model of a tire might have different actual tread widths, like the PSS where the version for a BMW has different width than the one for a Porsche or Ferrari.

I'm running the Potenza RE070 and they have a 12.5" tread width. PSS only have a 11.4" tread. They look very wide and mean on the back of the car.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I've forgotten about what to do up front if I do 305 in rear. Any advice ? Decided on PSS, wider rears are much more expensive, worth it?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
I've forgotten about what to do up front if I do 305 in rear. Any advice ? Decided on PSS, wider rears are much more expensive, worth it?
You can stick with the 255 or move to the 265 up front. The wider 305 PSSs probably not worth it for performance, but they do look better. I'll be going to the 305 PSS from my current 295 PSS when its time for a new set. The 305s weren't available when I bought the PSSs. There's usually a huge lead time. I have a pair on order now that aren't expected in until mid-summer.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

You can stick with the 255 or move to the 265 up front. The wider 305 PSSs probably not worth it for performance, but they do look better. I'll be going to the 305 PSS from my current 295 PSS when its time for a new set. The 305s weren't available when I bought the PSSs. There's usually a huge lead time. I have a pair on order now that aren't expected in until mid-summer.
Somewhat contrary to availability posted on TireRack.
I managed to hit something with right front OEM PZero three weeks ago. Never saw or even heard what I hit (obviously blaring tunes too loud), but whatever it was did major damage. First indication was info panel warning that right front tire was at 14PSI. I uttered to myself (again not knowing I had hit something), how could I possibly go from normal tire pressure and no warning, to 14PSI as a first warning? Fortunately I happened to be exiting the freeway at the time. Once I found a safe place to pull over in less than one block, Info Panel warning now indicating 0 PSI. Call AAA, get flatbedded to my favorite tire shop - Grand Prix Tire who does a huge volume of luxury and high performance vehicles for the Newport Beach rich and famous - and looking at Tire Rack while waiting for the tow to arrive, I note the 305 PSS tires are backordered till mid April.

When I arrive at Grand Prix 30 mins later, after determining the tire was beyond repair, and I was within a few thousand of needing new rubber on the rear, I opted for new shoes all the way around, and told the tech head at the counter I'd like to change to Pilot Super Sports and up the rears to 305's if he can get them, also volunteering that availability is posted as backordered and he probably can't get them. He looks at his terminal and replies, "no problem, I got plenty" I say: Hook me up!

Now I don't know if all tire places work this way, but I have the distinct impression that tire shops in So Cal never actually stock much rubber and mostly all pull from some central distribution center, cause I'll often see cars at Grand Prix and elsewhere waiting an hour or three for tires to arrive, which often come in batches of 4, 8, 12 or whatever in the back of a van or pick-up truck, several times throughout the day.

Long, round-a-bout way of saying: Don't use Tire Rack as your sole source of info on the availability of tires.

Last edited by IronMike; 04-02-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Somewhat contrary to availability posted on TireRack.
I managed to hit something with right front OEM PZero three weeks ago. Never saw or even heard what I hit (obviously blaring tunes too loud), but whatever it was did major damage. First indication was info panel warning that right front tire was at 14PSI. I uttered to myself (again not knowing I had hit something), how could I possibly go from normal tire pressure and no warning, to 14PSI as a first warning? Fortunately I happened to be exiting the freeway at the time. Once I found a safe place to pull over in less than one block, Info Panel warning now indicating 0 PSI. Call AAA, get flatbedded to my favorite tire shop - Grand Prix Tire who does a huge volume of luxury and high performance vehicles for the Newport Beach rich and famous - and looking at Tire Rack while waiting for the tow to arrive, I note the 305 PSS tires are backordered till mid April.

When I arrive at Grand Prix 30 mins later, after determining the tire was beyond repair, and I was within a few thousand of needing new rubber on the rear, I opted for new shoes all the way around, and told the tech head at the counter I'd like to change to Pilot Super Sports and up the rears to 305's if he can get them, also volunteering that availability is posted as backordered and he probably can't get them. He looks at his terminal and replies, "no problem, I got plenty" I say: Hook me up!

Now I don't know if all tire places work this way, but I have the distinct impression that tire shops in So Cal never actually stock much rubber and mostly all pull from some central distribution center, cause I'll often see cars at Grand Prix and elsewhere waiting an hour or three for tires to arrive, which often come in batches of 4, 8, 12 or whatever in the back of a van or pick-up truck, several times throughout the day.

Long, round-a-bout way of saying: Don't use Tire Rack as your sole source of info on the availability of tires.
Did you notice any difference with the 305's relative to handling etc.? Also, how do you like the look of the wider rear tire?
Lawrence

Old 04-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Bigger PSS available at Tire Rack and my local Discount Tire matched price and 3 day delivery.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
I'm running the Potenza RE070 and they have a 12.5" tread width. PSS only have a 11.4" tread. They look very wide and mean on the back of the car.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately with the shadow, it's impossible to see how wide the tire looks.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Ha. Ha. I thought the same thing but wasn't going to draw attention to it.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 PM

My car's at the dealership getting some new brakes and stuff. That's what I had on had. I'll post some new pics after I get the car back.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Additional question: Largest tire on Kalminos wheels?

Yes spacers are for looks only. They change the geometry to where you can never track the car, nor are they capable of withstanding the weight of the car being on one wheel.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, it appears you have an F-Type S... did you install custom double exhausts? If so, which ones? Or did you take off the R badge and add and S badge?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by myshao
Just curious, it appears you have an F-Type S... did you install custom double exhausts? If so, which ones? Or did you take off the R badge and add and S badge?
Until the 2016 MY, all V8 convertibles ('14 & '15) were designated V8S and were RWD. All model years '14 through '17 also have a V6S. For the 2016 MY, all US V8 cars (both coupe and convertible) were badged Rs and became AWD only.

The car you commented on was a 14 or 15 V8S.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Additional question: Largest tire on Kalminos wheels?

Yes spacers are for looks only. They change the geometry to where you can never track the car, nor are they capable of withstanding the weight of the car being on one wheel.
for those of us who have modified street cars into all out race cars, we used spacers as needed to maximize rubber in the available fender space while remaining within the track width specifications. I am now posting higher lateral Gs on the F-Type with the spacers and lowering springs than when stock.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read this forum thoroughly a couple of times to understand and determine what I can get away with re maximizing my tire width with Oem 20" rims. I have read 315's were technically to wide for the 10.5" rim but it is being successfully done. My question is this: Can I mount a 315 tire on the stock rim and use a 5-10mm spacer and achieve good placement of the rear wheel and not adversely affect the handling of the car?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The MotorTech Sport spacers on all four corners and PSS 305s in the rear with be my route. I do like the way that tread pattern looks on the Potenza, but reading that the PSS tires are better in the wet and I'm in Portland so it is PSS.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 07-13-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Was curious about this so i've reprocessed the image to recover the shadows.
The stance looks good with the 12.5":

Unfortunately the rear 3/4 view shows the main problem: the tire is mushrooming over the rim by quite a bit....if you look at the 4 o'clock position it looks like up to 5-7mm beyond the rim wall.

I don't like the way that looks, and beyond that, the strain on a 20" sidewall at that angle is pretty dangerous to me....I drive on crappy SF streets.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I wish the strain wasn't an issue. Used to always get tires that slightly bulged out like that to protect the wheel from curb rash.

The following users liked this post:
schraderade (07-13-2016)

Quick Reply: What are the widest tires that will fit a F Type?