F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would happen if....OH NO....!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 04:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What would happen if....OH NO....!!!!

Purely hypothetical......but what would potentially be the side effects of having your super performance brake set and rotors on a 16MY R AWD replaced with front and back 325 mm base small break rotors? Oh, and all while, mind you, still using the super performance calipers from the fronts on the new small rotors?

I just realized that I may or may not have been driving on just that situation for 7000 miles. 3 of my wheels are severely bent and I have gone through all the brake pads, does that seem like that might be a side effect? Is frame damage possible?

Would this constitute possibly an exception to the wear and Tare warranty exception for brake pads?

Can someone PLEASE double check what I am supposed to be riding on both air wise. I don't want to be wrong on this one! Vin is sajw8gmkj6dl23888. Yes, I have that memorized by now.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

That's not a valid F-Type VIN, should be K23888 at the end?

K23888 is a 2016 F-Type R to North American specification, with R Performance Brakes (which are 380mm front, 376mm rear) and nice red calipers according to the book.

What would happen if....OH NO....!!!!-screen-shot-06-16-16-08.48-pm.jpg

It's not possible to run the calipers from the big brakes on the smaller ones, the mounting brackets "caliper carriers" are fixed for that size.

The rest of what you have said is somewhat cryptic and makes no sense.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
The rest of what you have said is somewhat cryptic and makes no sense.
+1. Neither full VIN is valid as the check digit does not match. Someone might have installed smaller rotors, but any additional heat (unlikely) would warp the rotors, not the wheels. I suspect your off-road 4-wheeling did that damage.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Neither full VIN is valid as the check digit does not match. Someone might have installed smaller rotors, but any additional heat (unlikely) would warp the rotors, not the wheels. I suspect your off-road 4-wheeling did that damage.
The VIN in my pic is valid, don't worry about the check digit in the features list, that's not for the VIN, for something else.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The VIN in my pic is valid, don't worry about the check digit in the features list, that's not for the VIN, for something else.
your pic is too blurry for me to read. Checking the VIN replacing the k in place of the L causes topix to kick back an invalid VIN response.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry yes switched a few numbers. SAJWJ6DL8GMK23888.

No off-roading, however did curb the car 1000 miles in a blew two tires, could this be damage that was unrepaired?

I will post some pictures of the current setup. All I know if I have the big red calipers and the rotor is under 330 mm

Old 06-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris starko

No off-roading, however did curb the car 1000 miles in a blew two tires, could this be damage that was unrepaired?

I will post some pictures of the current setup. All I know if I have the big red calipers and the rotor is under 330 mm
"however did curb the car 1000 miles in a blew two tires" < what does this actually mean?

Chris, how do you blow two tires curbing your rims? If so, is this why you needed new calipers or rotors or both? Who did the work for you? Not a dealer? Insurance claim?

"What would happen if...Oh no!!!" < what does this actually mean?

Is the point of this goose chase that at some point you had some damage, took it somewhere to have it repaired, and you're afraid they cut corners and installed rotors that were too small? If so, I highly doubt large calipers would even physically work with incorrect rotors. This likely would be impossible.

It doesn't help that you cryptically state that you know your VIN by heart, but then go on to butcher it.

You need to slow down, take a breath, and then provide more detail in your explanation of facts. The guys here are both very knowledgeable and helpful and can be of great help to you, much more than myself, but a post like this is extremely difficult to autopsy.

Explain what happened again, slow and clear. I think many are suspecting that this post is a hoax of some sort unless you provide a setting thats plausible. Pictures would be a great help at this point. I only chime in to help you get the answers you need and think the reason the feedback is slow is because few are taking your post seriously.

If you guys reading this do indeed get it, more power to you and I digress.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
If you guys reading this do indeed get it, more power to you and I digress.
Polaris, go easy on Chris. He's just looking for answers and is obviously desperate for some answers. With some patience, we can find out exactly what's going on, and maybe help.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Default read the post

I'm trying to get you guys answers so you can help him.

I dont think I was being hard by asking for some clarity.

I couldn't make heads or tails of the post.

Chris, I don't think I hurt feelings but if I did, don't take it wrong...Just fill in the blanks.

I re-read my post and I guess you're referring to my phrase "goose chase". No harm meant, certainly much more benign than being referred to as a cheap SOB".

I certainly hope I didn't scare him away, that was not my intention.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chris starko

Obviously, if hitting a curb blew out 2 tires, you probably went over the curb at high speed doing sufficient damage to bend the wheels and damage the brakes.

Your discs should be 380 front, 376 rear. If that is no longer the case, someone did a really bad repair and replaced the damaged brakes with the wrong ones.In fact, front brakes never were offered at 325mm.

Here is the line-up:
.............................Front..........Rear
base Performance......354mm......325mm
S High Performance....380mm......325mm
R Super Performance..380mm......376mm
Ceramic...................398mm......380mm

These are standard specs. The models optionally could upgrade the brake package.

Take the car back to the repair shop and have them install the correct equipment and take the wheels to a wheel restorer to have them straighten the bent wheels. That will only cost $100-150 per wheel. Much less expensive than buying new or used.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-16-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously, if hitting a curb blew out 2 tires, you probably went over the curb at high speed doing sufficient damage to bend the wheels and damage the brakes.

Your discs should be 380 front, 376 rear. If that is no longer the case, someone did a really bad repair and replaced the damaged brakes with the wrong ones.In fact, front brakes never were offered at 325mm.

Here is the line-up:
.............................Front..........Rear
base Performance......354mm......325mm
S High Performance....380mm......325mm
R Super Performance..380mm......376mm
Ceramic...................398mm......380mm

These are standard specs. The models optionally could upgrade the brake package.

Take the car back to the repair shop and have them install the correct equipment and take the wheels to a wheel restorer to have them straighten the bent wheels. That will only cost $100-150 per wheel. Much less expensive than buying new or used.
My question was: Was it even possible to even pair base rotors with the performance calipers? Aren't the calipers positioned to grab the edge of the rotor? If so the base caliper would grab at a lower point and physically scrape the taller rotor....or is the difference minute enough to still work?

Is this mistake technically even possible.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

My question was: Was it even possible to even pair base rotors with the performance calipers? Aren't the calipers positioned to grab the edge of the rotor? If so the base caliper would grab at a lower point and physically scrape the taller rotor....or is the difference minute enough to still work?

Is this mistake technically even possible.
An interference (scraping or no fit at all) would only occur if you mounted a larger set of rotors with a smaller set of calipers. In this case, Chris is pointing out that the rotors are smaller than they should be. In this circumstance, everything could fit without interference, but only a portion of the pad would be in contact with the rotor surface, leading to substantially reduced stopping power and serious uneven wear.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

An interference (scraping or no fit at all) would only occur if you mounted a larger set of rotors with a smaller set of calipers. In this case, Chris is pointing out that the rotors are smaller than they should be. In this circumstance, everything could fit without interference, but only a portion of the pad would be in contact with the rotor surface, leading to substantially reduced stopping power and serious uneven wear.
So then you bring up another puzzling point, UNHNGD...Why wouldn't the OP simply look at the other side of the car if he feels the rotors are smaller? Certainly both replacements occurred on one side of his vehicle, F + R if the "curbing" caused this damage. If a pic would show a problem, his eyes could determine one too, right?

This where some clarity would be helpful. I think we should rest until he bothers to explain. He's been gone 3 days but yet thinks his brakes are dangerous...

Just sayin'

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

jag wheels bend if you look at them funny, so yeah, when you plowed into a curb hard enough to blow out two tires, that's when you bent your wheels.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
jag wheels bend if you look at them funny, so yeah, when you plowed into a curb hard enough to blow out two tires, that's when you bent your wheels.
You're right Nati, but I'm making a totally different point. I'm sure he knows how he damaged his car...that wasn't his concern. He seems to think someone used the wrong parts fixing his car if i'm reading his post correctly.

Begging the OP for clarity.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

So then you bring up another puzzling point, UNHNGD...Why wouldn't the OP simply look at the other side of the car if he feels the rotors are smaller? Certainly both replacements occurred on one side of his vehicle, F + R if the "curbing" caused this damage. If a pic would show a problem, his eyes could determine one too, right?

This where some clarity would be helpful. I think we should rest until he bothers to explain. He's been gone 3 days but yet thinks his brakes are dangerous...

Just sayin'
Since he damaged 3 wheels, I assumed he put at least that many up on the sidewalk (2 fronts and a rear). However, you are correct...we are just playing a guessing game until we get all the facts.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Since he damaged 3 wheels, I assumed he put at least that many up on the sidewalk (2 fronts and a rear). However, you are correct...we are just playing a guessing game until we get all the facts.
Somehow we've made this more important than the OP himself. LOL