F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would make you want the latest model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts
Default What would make you want the latest model?

OK so I'm temporarily sans Jag while I await my 3.0S AWD Coupé to be built.
I ordered it in the knowledge that the 18MY is underway..as seen in the Factory Tour Video.
What would make you order a new model as they progressed? Assuming one had the means.
For me, provided they didn't muck around with the body too much it would be the following..
Mirroring my iPhone on the display so I could use my apps instead of theirs.
Voice commands.
Adaptive Cruise....this is surprising since on my 05MY x100 XKR it did try to kill me a few times by applying the brakes when I least expected it...I knew about trucks on a bend but I got some random inputs sometimes.
Nevertheless used sensibly it's a great system, no doubt improved since 2005.
Head up display.
Built in Dashcams...yes unlikely but the market seems to want it, I do.
Yes the sound system....probably not a problem for me. At my last Aviation Medical in 2003 the doc said "you've passed but don't buy an expensive HiFi!"
That's about it, until I get the beast and find out what I don't know.
What would you guys want in a new model?

Old 12-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Pretty much everything that I would want I could get if it was optioned up enough and I didnt mind paying the freight.

I'm a little mixed on the HUD. It is nice (we have it in the XE) but the lower seating position in the F Type means that you are looking straight at the digital speedo anyway so a HUD would almost be too much. And the projector might spoil the line of the dash a little.

What would make me happy to lose money on a changeover would be quilted seats (my white whale), and if they could develop some sort of gated shifter for the auto, which is a fantasy of mine that I have mentioned before - shifting like a clutchless manual if you want to.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

A straight 6 engine

Old 12-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
A straight 6 engine
In 1974 I bought a 3.8 E-Type Coupé for £400 and sold it for the same money the following year......should have put it away for a rainy day
Name:  ee28c94cb5c8b39cfaf210fab0ca596f_zpsnmoziigy.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  469.0 KB

Old 12-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The only change in configuration that would tempt me to trade up would be a V8 or V12 RWD with a manual tranny. Otherwise I would order the identical car I have now. (horsepower doesn't matter..that we can deal with ourselves).

Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I think everyone wishes the F-type was 300 lbs lighter.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I think everyone wishes the F-type was 300 lbs lighter.
True, but i don't think I'd do a trade (with the associated cost of depreciation) just to get a lighter car.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Incremental year-over-year changes aren't worth chasing. There is always something new just around the corner for any car brand. Perhaps the mid-cycle refresh could be significant, we'll see, but I'm not planning to "upgrade".

I am grateful for the 5/60 warranty which was added in MY16.

Last edited by JackMac; 12-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I am happy with my RWD V8S. I actually plan on holding on to it for MANY years - perhaps for the rest of my life.

RWD V8 cars will soon be history. Perhaps I could be convinced to get a new one if It had a V12 with RWD.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Yep, I'm with Enfield; my V8S 'vert is almost exactly what I want down to the colors I got. With my P7 grill and P7/SVR 575hp tune, it's as close as I can envision an F type to be my version of perfection. Don't want AWD or the wider sills, The real P7 is ultra cool but not practical enough for me (need a real top).

Yes, lighter weight would be nice but it'd have to be a 300-500lb amount to make me truly want to trade. ......the only thing I'm not in love with are my black 20" Tornado wheels and P-Zeros (which are unfortunately brand new) so I can see a change/upgrade there.

....yeah, there is nothing I can think of that would make me want to trade and pony up the additional $40 - $70k it would cost.

Dave

Old 12-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

It would have to get smaller to lose that much weight.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
It would have to get smaller to lose that much weight.
Like a Corvette, Viper or 911 you mean? LOL......j/k, I know there is no cost effective/easy way to pare that kind of weight off an F type without a complete redesign (or stripping it down to a racecar)......look at the "huge" weight difference between an R and a P7 to demonstrate that there isn't much in the way of "low hanging fruit".

Dave

Old 12-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
With my P7 grill...
Dave,
What was your final solution on the two distance sensors? I'll probably launch on this project when the first snow hits.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I think I would consider trading up from the base to S -- for the limited slip differential (would help me in the winter). Plus, I hate the current infotainment system and word is the 2018 will have the upgraded system.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Upgrading to a new R is an immediate $20K+ depreciation hit as soon as you drive away.

As for a new SVR I'd rather buy a one year old R8 V10+.

No new feature could sway me trading in a like-for-like model for a new one. IMO in 2015 Jag came out with one of the best looking cars ever and they have slightly degraded its looks from the each year, R to SVR.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel like the only thing I would change is the addition of air conditioned seats. Yeah, that will add more weight, but I only drive this car in the summer and my back and butt are always hot.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I was thinking the OP, who has closed the deal yet?, may consider a newer model, so some of the responses may not apply. So my response is assuming that.

If there was some really desirable new color, interior finish, wheel combo. Maybe some features of the SVR (titanium exhaust or better suspension tuning/parts).

I would want these for the same price, ideally, however you may pay a higher price.

The biggest changes in the 2016, I waited for is the the awd in the R and the 5 year warranty. Hopefully they don't mess with the looks.

I wouldn't want a permanent eco mode and a model with a 4 banger or a turbo associated with my model year (or at all).The BMW engine swap threat would be a dealer breaker.

Change isn't always good. For instance R buyers who didn't wouldn't want awd, but wanted to order new to get a certain combo may have been out of luck if they waited.

The weight reduction is an item worth waiting for, but as stated unlikely.

I think some would've have waited for a manual in the R but also unlikely.

It's hard to wait......

Last edited by jaguny; 12-11-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Upgrading to a new R is an immediate $20K+ depreciation hit as soon as you drive away.

As for a new SVR I'd rather buy a one year old R8 V10+.

No new feature could sway me trading in a like-for-like model for a new one. IMO in 2015 Jag came out with one of the best looking cars ever and they have slightly degraded its looks from the each year, R to SVR.
I have to agree. The new 'updates' on the outside do not make the car look better to me.

Ordered mine just the way I wanted it. I wanted a convertible V8, RWD, everything black (I even got the black pack) except for: red stitching, red seat belts, red emblems and the brake callipers were already red

Jag's infotainment system was not part of the equation. Let's face it; electronic interfaces change every month. One can never keep up with those. I do not use the infotainment system. I use my phone for all that.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Dave,
What was your final solution on the two distance sensors? I'll probably launch on this project when the first snow hits.
Hi Lance,

....that was a bit "premature" LOL! ....I'm still working on it but hopefully now that it's parked on my lift for the next 6 months, I can putter away. Right now I'm just getting all the bits and pces together and will pull the nose off when my wife goes to visit the youngest in University (no interuptions! LOL) .

My current plan is to reproduce the little black lexan pces that were shown on the other thread but I'm also going to just unplug them and see what happens; I don't think I need front park sensors and it'd be easier and look better IMO to just eliminate them entirely.....we'll have to see what happens. I'll definitely PM you and let you know how I make out.

Cheers, Dave

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (12-13-2016)