Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
There I did it. I let the cat out of the bag. But as much as you may love your car, I'm sure there are some quirks about it that you don't like. But this thread may also serve as a way of troubleshooting an issue if one owner is experiencing it and another owner has a fix.

It will be helpful if you state the year, model, engine and packages

I'll start.

2015 F Type Coupe Base/V6. Performance Seats, Premium Pack, Climate Pack.
-Clamshell hood: Looks cool but I dislike how I'm basically dry humping it to shut the hood.
-Stock "Sport Seats". They just look plain goofy next to the Performance Seats. We have a company V8S in our fleet and it has the Sport Seats.
-Glitchy audio system. I recently had to reformat some of my MP3 to 192kbps in order for the audio system to play them through the USB port via my thumbdrive
-Driver side seat belt loop on seat. I'm 6'3 so the hoop is actually lower than my shoulder so it causes my seatbelt to not provide the correct tension
-Not being able to see the front of the car due to the bulges in the hood. This is a preference. But due to the bulges in the hood, I can't see how close I am to a curb when I park nor can I accurately find the lines when I'm hugging the apex of a turn.
-Cheap horn sound when you confirm the car is locked. I like the soft chirp like Lexus or BMW. Again personal preference.
-NO LOCKING fuel filler cap. Enough said.
-NO coin tray
-Odd location of rear foglight switch
There are no loops on the seats of my car, so the buckle is always stuck behind the seat. Your description of what happens to your belt may explain why it appears to have been deleted.
We'll have to agree to disagree on on the seats: The "performance seats" are a caricature of a racing seat crossed with an over-stuffed armchair. Then, there's how much they weigh...

Old 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Things for me on the F-Type

- An easier to shut bonnet
- A more responsive infotainment system
- A higher quality reversing camera
- Better tyres that work beneath 10 degrees
- the hidden switches originate from the old Ford parts bin

However for me, the biggest thing they could improve is the customer service. The Jaguar Customer Response Centre (CRC) is more of out of date in terms of modern standards than the sat nav. Unfortunately you can't evaluate this from the brochure, but had I known it was so poor the 911 might have won out.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Things for me on the F-Type
- Better tyres that work beneath 10 degrees
All performance-oriented autos in the F-Type's competitive set are equipped with tires classified as, "extreme high-performance, summer." Regardless of the manufacturer, none of them were intended to be used below 40şF (4şC).

Putting "all-season" tires on an F-Type would be equivalent to powering it with a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engine. Summer performance tires are expected among most buyers looking at this type of car. If it bothers you, you can find a set of all-seasons pretty cheap.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-06-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
There are no loops on the seats of my car, so the buckle is always stuck behind the seat. Your description of what happens to your belt may explain why it appears to have been deleted.
We'll have to agree to disagree on on the seats: The "performance seats" are a caricature of a racing seat crossed with an over-stuffed armchair. Then, there's how much they weigh...
It maybe a UK option. But here in the US...the Base Sport seats do not have the buckle/loop for you to feed your seat belt through. Nor does the seat have the two holes in the backrest if you ever setup a racing harness. The "Performance Seats" have a buckle/loop for you to guide your seatbelt through due to the more aggressive shoulder bolstering. It also has the holes if you do setup a racing harness.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

It maybe a UK option. But here in the US...the Base Sport seats do not have the buckle/loop for you to feed your seat belt through. Nor does the seat have the two holes in the backrest if you ever setup a racing harness. The "Performance Seats" have a buckle/loop for you to guide your seatbelt through due to the more aggressive shoulder bolstering. It also has the holes if you do setup a racing harness.
Interesting: both the '15 R and the '15 V6S (high perf and sport seats respectively) that I recently test drove had the goofy clip on the outside top of the seats. I specifically recall the sales person having to fuss with them.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Interesting: both the '15 R and the '15 V6S (high perf and sport seats respectively) that I recently test drove had the goofy clip on the outside top of the seats. I specifically recall the sales person having to fuss with them.
My '15 V6S with sport seats does not have the seat belt loop on the seat.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BierNut
My '15 V6S with sport seats does not have the seat belt loop on the seat.
This is correct. Sports seats do not have the seatbelt loop. Just the performance seats.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

The stereo.

Last edited by BierNut; 03-06-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The two things if I have to name some are the limited trunk space, they could have made that a lot larger, there is a lot room left under the covers. The cheap plastic in the center console and the cup holder cover.

As for visibility around the car ... you cannot see the rear or front in a Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or anything else in that category either ...

The following users liked this post:
F-TypeRookie (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
The two things if I have to name some are the limited trunk space, they could have made that a lot larger, there is a lot room left under the covers. The cheap plastic in the center console and the cup holder cover.

As for visibility around the car ... you cannot see the rear or front in a Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini or anything else in that category either ...
Absolutely, which is why I can't understand all the negativity over this on this forum. Anyone with any familiarity with any of the brands you mentioned would know this. It goes with the "beast" in this class.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

My number one pet peeve, is with all my jaguars.....no sunglass holder/compartment. There is not one in my XJL, XKR-S and my F Type coupe.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Plastic paddle shifters
No standard left foot rest
Locking gas cap mentioned many times
Large side view mirrors
The rear portion of the front wheel well should have been flared out further. The front tires are throwing back rocks and tearing up my rocker panel, door and rear fender.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

There I did it. I let the cat out of the bag. But as much as you may love your car, I'm sure there are some quirks about it that you don't like. But this thread may also serve as a way of troubleshooting an issue if one owner is experiencing it and another owner has a fix.

It will be helpful if you state the year, model, engine and packages
Originally Posted by Foosh
Absolutely, which is why I can't understand all the negativity over this on this forum. Anyone with any familiarity with any of the brands you mentioned would know this. It goes with the "beast" in this class.
+1 Foosh.

This thread should have been renamed the "Whiney Whingers Club". It would have to be the most depressing thread running in the F Type Forum at the moment.

I see WhiteTardis's original intent for this thread seemed benign, but I don't think the thread has served as a positive one, and it does a huge disservice to what is a genuinely classic and masterful piece of automotive engineering.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
+1 Foosh.

This thread should have been renamed the "Whiney Whingers Club". It would have to be the most depressing thread running in the F Type Forum at the moment.

I see WhiteTardis's original intent for this thread seemed benign, but I don't think the thread has served as a positive one, and it does a huge disservice to what is a genuinely classic and masterful piece of automotive engineering.
And it was started by an apparent JLRNA employee. If so, there's some evidence that someone at JLR is both "honest" and listening.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I agree completely and why I didn't wish to chime in with any gripe. Why be negative about any aspect in this wonderful car? One can find negativity anywhere they look but, again, why?

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-06-2015 at 11:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
F-TypeRookie (03-07-2015), OzRisk (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 PM

This thread by all means was not to be meant as a "complaint" thread. No product will ever be perfect. What maybe considered a flawless, perfect product to someone else maybe different to someone else. I knew what the quirks were going in...did that dissuade me? No. Did that dissuade all the other owners? No.

Same could be said about my last car. 2 seater convertible roadster. Lacked low end torque. Had a differential fragile as glass. Had a tendency to oversteer if not in the right hands. But yet it was a blast to drive.

Ultimately if we wanted all the things that are lacking in the comments, we would have bought a sedan.

Mods feel free to close.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
Foosh (03-07-2015), OzRisk (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I may be in the minority here and still in the honeymoon phase, but I can honestly say I do not have any issues with the F-Type. I am impressed with the overall quality of this car and feel it is an outstanding effort by Jaguar, which should only get better with time. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the navigation/infotainment over the iDrive in my last 3 BMWs and find it easier to use. I didn’t buy this car because of the stereo and I usually only listen to the radio at low volumes to enjoy the sound of the engine and exhaust. The F-Type does not appear to have been plagued with major first year mechanical problems like I have experienced with other makes. I stepped away from BMW because I thought the F-Type was cool and I wanted more exclusivity. I am excited about the future of Jaguar and hope they can keep the momentum going to continue developing awesome cars for us to buy.

Jaguar designed and developed the F-Type to give us a true sports car experience. If all we can complain about are the cup holders, stereo sound, lack of trunk space, sunglass holder, umbrella holder and coin tray, then I say they did their job. The fact that the F-Type is even in the same league as the “gold standard” Porsche in terms of quality and performance, while offering a less clinical, more raw and theatrical experience, is something to be proud of in my opinion.

I am not a paid spokesman for Jaguar, just a happy owner who smiles every time I push the start button.

The following 6 users liked this post by jmfan:
F-TypeRookie (03-07-2015), Foosh (03-07-2015), OzRisk (03-07-2015), Tar1018 (03-08-2015), TR64ever (05-14-2015), UC3 (04-16-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Amen.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-07-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I didn't take it as a whinge thread or depressing. More just a list of what they can improve in with the next iteration.

As I said earlier none of the small number of things I listed actually cross the dislike threshold for me, just minor niggles on a car that taken as a whole I love more than any other car I have ever had.

RickyJay52 (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Mods feel free to close.
No, no. Definitely not. I'd be horrified to think the mods would close a thread just because a couple of us don't like the views expressed. Everybody should be quite entitled to express their opinions, and I respect that mine is just one amongst many.

But I love my F Type, and I don't think of them as flaws, just little idiosyncrasies. There is no perfect car, but damn, this ones close!

Quick Reply: What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type