Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
i'll add:
- the wimpy flip down sun visors
- the also-wimpy little tinny-horn sound when locking
A larger one is available according to the Configurator. Has an in built mirror too apparently.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
A larger one is available according to the Configurator. Has an in built mirror too apparently.
You Brits get all the cool stand-alone options. Stateside we get only one (heated windshield).Everything else is part of the massive "packs".

Old 03-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
You Brits get all the cool stand-alone options. Stateside we get only one (heated windshield).Everything else is part of the massive "packs".
There were some stand-alone options available on 14s in the US. Climate pack, for example, was only $600. But, it looks like they've decided to bundle almost every choice into a more expensive package.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Again, US dealers sell of the lot, the percentage of ordered cars is minimal. In Europe you have to order, they usually only have a demonstrator of each car new on the lot. Ordering a premium car in Germany can take up to two years. Nobody in instant gratification US would deal with that. People are going crazy here when it takes six months to get a car hear including at the very least 6 weeks of shipping.

So they bundle here, it makes it more cost effective to produce and easier to sell. It is less likely to get the guy who just wanted that one option and choose not to get it. It reduces the number of color and option combos drastically. They are less likely to sit on a car that does not find a buyer because most of them have mot of the options.

Here is my sticker with basically every single option package in 2014 except for carbon ceramic breaks.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Plus - according to marketing stereotypes - all US customers of premium cars expect them to be "fully loaded".

"No pointless junk" seems not to be a selling point in the US.

That the sun visor exists as an option means it can be retrofitted.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

It sure could, just need the part number which probably can be found on the British site. Except if the mirror has a light and wiring needs to be run.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Again, US dealers sell of the lot, the percentage of ordered cars is minimal. In Europe you have to order, they usually only have a demonstrator of each car new on the lot. Ordering a premium car in Germany can take up to two years. Nobody in instant gratification US would deal with that. People are going crazy here when it takes six months to get a car hear including at the very least 6 weeks of shipping.

So they bundle here, it makes it more cost effective to produce and easier to sell. It is less likely to get the guy who just wanted that one option and choose not to get it. It reduces the number of color and option combos drastically. They are less likely to sit on a car that does not find a buyer because most of them have mot of the options.

Here is my sticker with basically every single option package in 2014 except for carbon ceramic breaks.

Yes, but the point was JLR took bundling to a much higher level for 2016 models. Things that you could buy alone in '14 are now bundled with a multi-$K package.

I have noticed that many dealers order the base cars with few, if any options. My base car is an example, and there is a market for that, but, less so on the high-cost models.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I see that when configuring new cars but I just do not see the point. Unless you get ceramic breaks you cannot even get over $10k in options on a $100k car. That is a mute point. On a $60k Porsche you can get easily over $50k in options. Rather have the already well equipped Jaguar option list with few additional options. It just does not make sense to not have the 3-4 option packages from a resell standpoint alone.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think that the number of options affects the percentage of depreciation to any significant degree. That's the important number, not resale price, per se. Moreover, I think a lot of options often work against you because many used car buyers aren't willing to pay for them. It's not a moot point.

10-15% depreciation per year on your $100K car is a lot bigger loss than the same number on my $63K car. It wouldn't surprise me if the lightly-optioned base cars sell better and bring a higher percentage of their original price as used cars a few years down the road. For many, it's just a toy.

Of course with so many leasing these cars, they really don't care and don't intend to purchase the car at the end of the lease.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, but the point was JLR took bundling to a much higher level for 2016 models. Things that you could buy alone in '14 are now bundled with a multi-$K package.

I have noticed that many dealers order the base cars with few, if any options. My base car is an example, and there is a market for that, but, less so on the high-cost models.
agreed, my dealer told me since this was a new model for the dealers (who hadn't sold a sports car like this before), they didn't know what the market would be like and most of them ended up getting fully spec-ed out cars. Some which sold but many of which are still on lots (see 2014's,2015's fully loaded R's still on lots). They thought people wouldn't buy the lower priced models, but turns out whenever they got one those always sold.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, and you don't see a lot of base cars sitting on dealer lots for an extended period.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I don't think that the number of options affects the percentage of depreciation to any significant degree. That's the important number, not resale price, per se. Moreover, I think a lot of options often work against you because many used car buyers aren't willing to pay for them. It's not a moot point.

10-15% depreciation per year on your $100K car is a lot bigger loss than the same number on my $63K car. It wouldn't surprise me if the lightly-optioned base cars sell better and bring a higher percentage of their original price as used cars a few years down the road. For many, it's just a toy.

Of course with so many leasing these cars, they really don't care and don't intend to purchase the car at the end of the lease.
+1.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Options do not bring anything in resale. I would never expect to get anything for options, it just makes it easier to sell. Of course the percentage loss on a lower value car is less, always will be. At the end the higher cost model depreciates to the lower entry model value because that is what the used car buyer has to decide, this for a used top model or a new entry model. To say options work against resell does not make sense at all. Of course it is a toy, none of my Jaguars are my dailies, roads in DC are just aweful all year round. In summer I drive them to work on Fridays or so but it is rather rare. I would never buy a not fully optioned car, a thousand Dollar option over the course of 3-5 years is $20-30 a month, that is just not worth the discussion.

All these entry level car with low options selling just means people are shopping for price and may not really be able to afford the brand. You really cannot compare resell of a V8S to a V6S, if somebody is price shipping they are not going to buy a V8S and if somebody is looking for a V8 They are not going to compromise for a V6. Same if somebody is shopping for a base Cayman or a GTS/4, different clientel.

Last edited by Schwabe; 03-15-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Options do not bring anything in resale. I would never expect to get anything for options, it just makes it easier to sell. Of course the percentage loss on a lower value car is less, always will be. At the end the higher cost model depreciates to the lower entry model value because that is what the used car buyer has to decide, this for a used top model or a new entry model. To say options work against resell does not make sense at all. Of course it is a toy, none of my Jaguars are my dailies, roads in DC are just aweful all year round. In summer I drive them to work on Fridays or so but it is rather rare. I would never buy a not fully optioned car, a thousand Dollar option over the course of 3-5 years is $20-30 a month, that is just not worth the discussion.
I think we're in general agreement here. I never meant to imply that options work against you on resale, just that you're likely going get a price not that much different than a car without all the same options. The pay-back on options generally isn't there. People might want them if they are already on the used car they are interested in, but they just don't want to pay for them on a used car. It might make it sell a bit quicker if one is selling it privately instead of trading.

EDIT: I see you edited since I posted. With regard to your last paragraph, yes exactly. Lower priced cars in this class are easier sales, and likely command a higher percentage of original sales price in excellent condition. A lot of used car buyers won't really care whether it's a V6 vs. V8, they're more interested in what it looks like, and how much it costs. There are more buyers on the lower end than the higher end.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-15-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I never considered the base because of the active suspension and performance pack. Also wanted 19" wheels, hard to find on base. Limited slip a must!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
I never considered the base because of the active suspension and performance pack. Also wanted 19" wheels, hard to find on base. Limited slip a must!
Most all of the OEM wheel choices are not hard to find at all, and I found nearly new 20" Gyrodynes right after I purchased at a bargain price.

The base suspension is very firm and works well. However, it can't be softened up as can the adjustable one, which I understand might be a drawback for some. It's not an issue for me, as I'd have it on max firm all the time.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

It sure could, just need the part number which probably can be found on the British site. Except if the mirror has a light and wiring needs to be run.
If anyone can post a pic of the optional sun visors I would like to see it. The ones on the 14 convertible are a cruel joke.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All these entry level car with low options selling just means people are shopping for price and may not really be able to afford the brand. You really cannot compare resell of a V8S to a V6S, if somebody is price shipping they are not going to buy a V8S and if somebody is looking for a V8 They are not going to compromise for a V6. Same if somebody is shopping for a base Cayman or a GTS/4, different clientel.
Schwabe...yes we can afford the brand.. i tried the top of the brand with my XKR at 109,000$ in 2007. But i thought that a Jaguar would be a Jaguar at any price. and that a BRAND like Jaguar would not sell junk at a lower price. I suspect that the V8 is not that amazing.....same interior...maybe the sound system is better...
but you know that with a retune...a pulley, and an exhaust...the V6 might be pretty competitive. i think throwing out that we might not be able to afford the brand is a "classless" remark. I have 4 performance cars..and thought that i might try a V6 in this small bodied car. I did not expect that TATA would have compromised the BRAND at any price. and I can tell you that a 2007 XKR was not worth much more then an XK in 2015...maybe a 1000$, so is it worth spending 20k more for a better radio...the climate system is probably just as bad. Here in LA any used Jaguar depreciates like a rock. We all know that going in...sorry.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by johney5
I suspect that the V8 is not that amazing...
it is, actually

but you know that with a retune...a pulley, and an exhaust...the V6 might be pretty competitive.
and with a retune, a pulley (don't need a new exhaust)... The V8 would be even MORE competitive. Your point is?

silly back and forth arguments. Everyone has their own reasons for what they do or don't buy. I won't be measured by your values and you shouldn't be measured by mine. (I don't think Schwabes point was well made though.)

Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Schwabe...yes we can afford the brand.. i tried the top of the brand with my XKR at 109,000$ in 2007. But i thought that a Jaguar would be a Jaguar at any price. and that a BRAND like Jaguar would not sell junk at a lower price. I suspect that the V8 is not that amazing.....same interior...maybe the sound system is better...
but you know that with a retune...a pulley, and an exhaust...the V6 might be pretty competitive. i think throwing out that we might not be able to afford the brand is a "classless" remark. I have 4 performance cars..and thought that i might try a V6 in this small bodied car. I did not expect that TATA would have compromised the BRAND at any price. and I can tell you that a 2007 XKR was not worth much more then an XK in 2015...maybe a 1000$, so is it worth spending 20k more for a better radio...the climate system is probably just as bad. Here in LA any used Jaguar depreciates like a rock. We all know that going in...sorry.

Not saying that buying a V6 versus a V8 is purely based on price. I mean somebody who is shopping for the entry level model WITHOUT any options is. My point if you follow the thread is that the entire options packages from Jaguar, excluding the ceramic brakes is merely $10K and for me that is not even worth discussing. Buy an Audi, BMW, Mercedes or Porsche and you can add up to $50K in options, go even more exotic and you can add $100K. This whole discussion started with people complaining that they just want this one option but oyoyoy they have to buy a $2,000 option package. That is what makes no sense. Try to buy an option after the fact. A steering wheel ordered with an option package is $200, after the fact some $1,500. Variant seat belt color, maybe some $200 or free depending on the package, some $1,100 after the fact. So people who are complaining about having to buy a $2,000 option package to get the one option they are looking for are bottom bargain price shoppers and do not realize that the single option they would want would cost them more then the US car with the option package. If we had the pure base car and individual option order process as other countries have the car would cost more and you would have less options. Have you seen that P Cars and Mercs etc cost more in the country of origin than here? We have the most competitive car market in the world were every car brand is represented. The competition is much higher than anywhere else so the pressure on prices is bigger than anywhere else. We have car brands here specifically made for the US market that you cannot even buy in other markets.
So manufactures and dealers try to offer a product at a discounted price by bundling. And also because they buy cars to be on the lot. They do not want to have 25 variants of V6 and another 25 different v8s on the lot because it would never be the right combo of color and option. In other countries people have to wait much longer than we do to get their cars, as I mentioned before it is not unheard of to wait 2 years in Germany to get your ordered car. So you bought the V6 because YOU PREFER IT, awesome, enjoy and I congratulate you.
If you complain to have to buy a $2,000 option package because you want your burger your way and you want it now, sorry yes, this is ridiculous and may not be for you. It is childish to complain to have to buy a bundle that costs you some $30 a month over the term of owning the car while spending $100+ on your cell phone or $100+ on your cable a month. Yes you may not be able to afford this car.

And if anybody comes back saying it is NOT about the money of the package but I do not NEED the other options that come with the package .... are you serious?

Quick Reply: What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type