Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Not saying that buying a V6 versus a V8 is purely based on price. I mean somebody who is shopping for the entry level model WITHOUT any options is.
That is pure BS, Swabe. I was looking for the lightest F-Type I could buy, PERIOD, and all the options are worthless to me on a two-seater convertible. I've purchased 50 cars over the years, many more expensive. Your stereotypes seem to be rather skewed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Mahjik (03-16-2015), mjm3457 (05-13-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Foosh, seriously? The light argument? If you want a light two seat sports car the F-Type is certainly not the car to shop for, there are just too many that are lighter, handle better and out perform the F-Type. You still have the automatic center AC vent, the fully adjustable electrical heated seats, a fully automated roof, AC, SAT/NAV and stereo, a start-stop battery, automatic deploying rear wing, come on light weight.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Foosh, seriously? The light argument? If you want a light two seat sports car the F-Type is certainly not the car to shop for, there are just too many that are lighter, handle better and out perform the F-Type. You still have the automatic center AC vent, the fully adjustable electrical heated seats, a fully automated roof, AC, SAT/NAV and stereo, a start-stop battery, automatic deploying rear wing, come on light weight.
Sometimes it's not about the money. As long as he is happy with his base model, that's the only thing that matters. I originally wanted the base model but after seeing the V6S, the cost difference was only minimal in the long run. I did not want the V8 because of the noise and useless power with normal street driving. but..... after 2 months of the V6, my next F-type after this lease is over is going to be a V8 lol. Should of went big the first time.

He is right though, some of the options that come with the packages are useless. I hate the auto dimming rear view mirror and side mirrors. It makes it really hard to identify police if they are behind you and you can't even disable that feature like in other cars. Anybody that can afford a $70k car can pretty much swing for the $100k if they really want to. Just a matter of preference and not really about the money.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Yes seriously. If I could have deleted all of the features you listed above, I would have. I don't listen to the stereo system, I don't use the nav (Waze app is far superior), I didn't want the heated seats, seats are the lighter not fully adjustable ones, don't have the useless memory feature, don't care about the deployable wing, or the start-stop feature, which I disable by always running in dynamic mode. A manual top would have been fine.

I obviously realize I could have purchased a lighter two-seater, something else, but as I said, I wanted the lightest F-Type I could actually purchase. If I could have stripped an additional 300-500 lbs., I would have been very happy. I didn't have that choice.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkong79
As long as he is happy with his base model, that's the only thing that matters.
If he's bought 50 cars over the past years, he's unlikely to remain happy with the one he has.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes seriously. If I could have deleted all of the features you listed above, I would have. I don't listen to the stereo system, I don't use the nav (Waze app is far superior), I didn't want the heated seats, seats are the lighter not fully adjustable ones, don't have the useless memory feature, don't care about the deployable wing, or the start-stop feature, which I disable by always running in dynamic mode. A manual top would have been fine.

I obviously realize I could have purchased a lighter two-seater, something else, but as I said, I wanted the lightest F-Type I could actually purchase. If I could have stripped an additional 300-500 lbs., I would have been very happy. I didn't have that choice.
You've just described the new Mazda Miata or MX5 as we call it in this country.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
I was thinking that too! I had one 20 years ago and it was like a go-cart. Also very reliable.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
I did own an original MX-5 (a 1989 first model year) which was a great little car. However, it's missing the supercharged V6 and incredible exhaust note, not to mention the elegant design. Looks are important too.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Schwabe;1184158]So people who are complaining about having to buy a $2,000 option package to get the one option they are looking for are bottom bargain price shoppers and do not realize that the single option they would want would cost them more then the US car with the option package. /QUOTE]

My V6 base came with the Sport seats..and at the time the S version available had limited color options.
the only options i really regret are rear camera, and the headlight follow options...offered at about 5000. The optional active exhaust control was not even offered on the S. Sadly the dealer was not aware that the S in stock, did have active exhaust, just not an optional control. and the S version this dealer had...had the normal seats...and honestly those seats are so ugly. so this particular standard car, looks amazing..has a relatively loud exhaust, that's always on.

Bottom line is...Jaguar was nuts not to include a rear alert system or camera. the follow headlights are a nice touch, had them in my xkr, but are not really necessary.

V8 or not? I love V8's there is no question. but like I said, with a little re tune etc... this car probably has enough power. And a tuned V8 ftype, with pulley etc... would be fun on the track...but for the street a bit of a monster. but i'm not knocking V8's....i've got 3 others.

And i kind of regret having the 18" wheels. However, I kind of like seeing more sidewall and rubber....i don't know why it's growing on me. I think it's because of my classic mustangs... my 66 k code has 14" rims, that's what a Shelby had, and to me this looks a bit more retro and sexy. Very pleased with the Conti tires.... i've had pzeros before, but these contis are pretty nice.

Last edited by johney5; 03-16-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

?.. as I said, I wanted the lightest F-Type I could actually purchase. If I could have stripped an additional 300-500 lbs., I would have been very happy. I didn't have that choice.
And yet no carbon brakes...

A select few Foosh quotes on CCB's. If weight saving was your priority, rather than cost, you'd have them as they're the biggest single weight saving option you can get.

I'm not at all interested in CCBs, just lower dusting replacement pads, for my current OEM brakes. That's what I was hoping one of the EBC products might be.
+1!!!! Answer: Never, except on a race track. Thus, the cost/benefit just flat doesn't work on a street car.
There is one other benefit, which is the lack of brake dust for the aesthetic perfectionists, but that also pays for multiple lifetimes worth of wheel cleaning.
(You're not the only one that can yank chains, Foosh! )

Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I wanted pretty much every option and seeing that the R included most as standard, the difference in price between a fully loaded V6S vs the R was pretty low. It just made that sexy V8 all the more attractive. The V6S is a dandy of a car, but I would never give up the power of the V8. The pull from 50 to 120 is just too much fun.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
And yet no carbon brakes...

A select few Foosh quotes on CCB's. If weight saving was your priority, rather than cost, you'd have them as they're the biggest single weight saving option you can get.

(You're not the only one that can yank chains, Foosh! )
That would be a fair point, except that CCBs are not an available option on the base car, and the models upon which they are available are a lot more weight loaded than what would be saved by CCBs.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

This is continuing the current OT discussion, but I figured I would throw it in for what it's worth...

I didn't want the V8. Not that I don't like V8's, but the exhaust note is always loud, sort of like Clarkson's comment on his review of the Coupe. I specifically wanted a car that my wife would also want to drive. Something sporty, with some luxury and fun. I was actually going to get a V6S vert after seeing DJS's photos in the photo thread, but my wife wanted a coupe. My wife doesn't really go for the muscle car sound. The V6S can be loud, but it's fairly mild with normal driving and the switchable exhaust not enabled. While I can afford it, I never considered the R model. The V8 is just not something my wife would enjoy, which was a reason the C7 Corvette was not an option. Money wise, if I was going to spend the amount in the R neighborhood (new) it wouldn't have been on a F-Type.

I just want to point that people not buying the V8 version aren't doing it necessarily because they can't afford it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mahjik:
DJS (03-16-2015), DuhCar (03-16-2015), Foosh (03-16-2015), jns2001 (03-28-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Not that I don't like V8's, but the exhaust note is always loud, sort of like Clarkson's comment on his review of the Coupe.
I can't speak for the convertible but in the coupe, there is very little exhaust noise if you don't want it. Drive like a normal human out of dynamic mode and with the active exhaust off and it is as quiet as a Camry. The only way you get the loud exhaust back is if you put your foot to the floor.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I can't speak for the convertible but in the coupe, there is very little exhaust noise if you don't want it. Drive like a normal human out of dynamic mode and with the active exhaust off and it is as quiet as a Camry. The only way you get the loud exhaust back is if you put your foot to the floor.
It depends on what you are used to... My wife drives an Audi which hardly makes any noise at all. The V6S is loud compared to that.. There is an obvious difference in sound and volume of the V6S and V8 (whether idle or peddle to the metal). It just depends on what each consumer likes and/or wants.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Not if you have a base V6 without active exhaust. It's open all the time, and pleasantly loud at moderate throttle and at idle.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
This is continuing the current OT discussion, but I figured I would throw it in for what it's worth...

I didn't want the V8. Not that I don't like V8's, but the exhaust note is always loud, sort of like Clarkson's comment on his review of the Coupe. I specifically wanted a car that my wife would also want to drive. Something sporty, with some luxury and fun. I was actually going to get a V6S vert after seeing DJS's photos in the photo thread, but my wife wanted a coupe. My wife doesn't really go for the muscle car sound. The V6S can be loud, but it's fairly mild with normal driving and the switchable exhaust not enabled. While I can afford it, I never considered the R model. The V8 is just not something my wife would enjoy, which was a reason the C7 Corvette was not an option. Money wise, if I was going to spend the amount in the R neighborhood (new) it wouldn't have been on a F-Type.

I just want to point that people not buying the V8 version aren't doing it necessarily because they can't afford it.
Absolutely agreed. I've always had a high-powered V8 something or other over the last 20+ years. If I had wanted another it would have been a C7 Z06, not an F-Type.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 PM

Not if you have a base V6 without active exhaust. It's open all the time, and pleasantly loud at moderate throttle and at idle.
I'm referring specifically to the V8, not the V6 or base.

In the R Coupe there is more road noise than exhaust noise with everything turned off.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The V6 is only about 150lbs lighter than the V8 based on Jaguar's publicized info on JaguarUSA. We have all seen test videos were they showed a much higher weight and the F-Type has to be considered a 4,000lbs car.

So all the options that come standard in the V8 only add about 150lbs. A Boxster S is almost 400lbs lighter than a F-Type V6 ... just pointing out the obvious, and without a question the better handling car, lifeless and clinical but certainly the better driver's car.

I never once said that somebody who buys a V6 does so because they cannot afford a V8. Some people do prefer 6 over 8 cylinders, no argument at all. I said somebody who is buying a base model without options because they only want that one option and do not want to buy the other options included in the package are phony to me. Again the whole packaging thing is the reason we can buy these cars so cheap in the US to begin with. Had we a straight order system we would pay more for the cars overall, there would be no volume ordering discount for the dealers.

Just build a US F-Type with all the option packages and see how much the options are. Then build one on the British one and include all the options that come standard in the US but are optional in the UK and all the options in the US option packages and compare. You will see that that costs a whole lot more, just for the options alone.

I even understand if you absolutely dislike an option, I personally hate auto sensing/radar/laser whatever cruise control. I have it, came in one of the packages, and I have it on two other cars. I never use it. Pretty simple to me. Now if you hate auto dimming and you cannot turn it off, which i always thought you could but do not know in the F-Type off hand I can understand that that is a feature that interferes with your driving if it cannot be disabled. I would check if there is just a fuse for that and pull that.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I favored the V6 because at the time almost all reviews said it was the sweet spot. I came out of an AMG Merc with a wild naturally aspirated V8. Was fun but blew thru rear tires at 6k miles, really a German street racer. The Jag is a half second slower to 60 with same top speed, but because of sound I don't feel difference. Once you are up to a $95k car what's another $10k over 60 mo? And thats before discount!

Quick Reply: What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type