F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are your demographics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm 53 now, and this was the first new Jaguar I really considered. When they announced a successor to the E-Type, I signed up for information. Went to the dealer reception and to Drive Alive, but didn't want a convertible as a daily driver and had heard rumors of the coupe. Went to the dealer reception for the coupe, but had heard rumors of the manual transmission. I'm glad I waited.

I've got a lot of history with Saabs (had a shop for a decade) and a long history with sportbikes, mostly Italian. I raced for quite a while; mostly club, but a little AMA. For the cars, I've raced LeMons and done NASA HPDE.

I can afford this because I work in software now. The F-Type was the latest in a long series of midlife crises.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

41, male, plastic surgeon. Was considering GTR vs RCF and ended up with F type as it is the happy medium between the 2. Nice to meet all of you!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (10-07-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jagftype
31. **** Industry + Own a few bars in SF.
Wow they made you modify the post? Anyways, if I visit SF I'll hit you up!

Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

25 - Past career in music industry as touring musician.

Last edited by ImNotFamousAnymore; 10-01-2015 at 10:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ImNotFamousAnymore:
FrickenJag (10-27-2015), Uncle Fishbits (10-07-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

34 - mortgage sales manager

Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

38, old enough not to remember if I posted here. And wait, I am 39.

I am a Hotelier - design / build / open / manage different types of hotels. Spent 10 years researching for a "safer, more fuel efficient" car. I saved up for about 15 years for a new car.... while driving a Jeep Wrangler for 20 years, 1995 until Aug 16th when my MT showed up. Got body work and new engine on the Jeep, decided to keep it, which opened up "less practical options", knowing I still had my truck.

I used to *think* I wanted an Aston. But in the last 3 years, this Jag is the only car that has ever been on the road where I have been "deer in headlights" stunned... *every time*. Every. Single. Time. Like slow motion poetry.

If I had been practical, it would have been a TRX truck or Ford Fusion.

Huzzah to impracticality.

It looks like this model has knocked about 2 decades off the typical age group for Jag. It's fascinating what car brands are going through... Kia, Hyundai, Ford are all up (the fusion is a pretty car for what it is), Mercedes, BMW, Audi are all down.... and now Cadillacs are en vogue for younger 2nd gen affluent kids like Asian or Latino, etc. It's so fascinating how the image of these brands changes over time.

I am absolutely fascinated by the changes in perception, value, luxury vs demographics. For example, BMW, Audi, but *especially* Mercedes are on a downslope right now.... but people are still buying them because non-researching consumers are moderated by marketing and trends, not facts and research.

For example, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition, or the little guy... but that's what Jaguar is, right now....

How Jaguar Plans to Dominate the Luxury Market » AutoGuide.com News

So kudos to Tata and especially Land Rover fuelling Jags ability to right itself, and come from behind... and get one of these cars into my life. I hope I look good enough to help sell a few more. =)

Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagftype
31. **** Industry + Own a few bars in SF.
EDIT: I am dumb, and see your bars linked. Pardon that. I love the Alchemist, because it is a stellar and hip bar without it being a "scene". Just good people enjoying a nice beverage at a gorgeous bar. Thanks for that addition to our city. I DJ in SOMA 1st and 3rd Fridays, and one of our DJ's lives a block away. We wrapped up quite a few happy hours sets by planting ourselves in your establishment. Thank you for your hard work, and success. 2 years, I believe? Cheers to you....

-----
Please tell me you own Cozy Car, because I *swear* this would justify a number of experiences.

Let us know what bars. I will bring a 2nd F-Type to park out front but not directly in front of leaning smokers.

Also... if you do have a kitsch bar, 2-4 Fox has an over antennae game show network called Buzzr, which is basically Dawson's Family Fued, Rayburn's Match Game, Press Your Luck, and Super Password all day long. At night it's 50's shows like What's my Line?

Put those on. Or do not. But I am really curious to know if your bars' interiors mimic the industry you come from.... because it would explain a lot. LOL

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 10-07-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
25 - Past career in music industry as touring musician.
Respect! What the uninformed imagine to be glamorous and the "life" is really just a grind. However... at your age... who knows. =) I just know too many people that realized "making it" was going from sleeping in a van to on a nicer bus. Still with the grind and schedule.

Session work, it is, then! =) Good luck and happy driving.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car cover

Wrong place, I know. I have a brand new NOAH cover for an XJ w/bag. $200.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

32, Tech Industry, F-Type R
Was at Monticello this year for level 1. Will be there for level .* next year!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

45 year old, own an audio/video and automation company in South Florida. I also never considered a Jag before the F-Type, it was always "an old man's" car to me! I considered a convertible Maserati, a pre-owned convertible Aston Martin, and a Corvette convertible.

Cost of ownership of the Maserati was concerning with "Ferrari" parts and the design of the Aston has become kind of boring with very little change in so many years or production. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Vette because the 2015+ LT3 interior is finally on par with what I like and the performance is obviously top notch. But level of Chevrolet service was my concern. They don't even guarantee loaners for warranty service!

As for the F-Type, I like that I don't see many on the street (I see tons of 911's which is why I would never consider it). I love the appearance of the F-Type and I haven't heard a better sounding stock exhaust. I purchased a V8 convertible which has nearly identical performance of the Vette. I have two friends begging me to "get our cars together". Results of that experience will be a different thread!

I do think the F-Type is an excellent product and advertising tool introducing the Jaguar brand to a younger demographic.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

61. Lawyer - corporate-commercial litigation. Purchased my 2014 V8S convertible after coming out of a 2010 Nissan GTR in which I had experienced numerous track days. I considered the V6S and was impressed with its balanced cornering, but I could not get the raw power of the GTR out of my mind, so I had no choice but to go with the V8S and I am glad that I did so. To the extent that you can love an inanimate object, I love this car.
I have not tracked it yet, but intend to do so next season, assuming I can pass the "broomstick test".

Old 10-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

52, engineer, but I make a living practicing law. Spent my hard earned money over the years on other things - initially, au pairs to help my wife with the kids, then on property, then it occurred to me I might enjoy driving something other than an SUV. So, I started out with a Maserati Spyder which is now mostly a garage queen since I got the F-Type!

Love this car!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

30, Mechanical engineer / mad scientist / Product development. Specialty in automotive engineering , hybrid engines, combustion, and dynamic impact studies for race seat development. Ex-Architectural designer. Wannabe-Racecar driver.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

47, Ob/Gyn, 1st jag, switched from 996 911 turbo

Old 11-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Older than most

74, sold my 07 vette and bought the F type instead of a 2015 Vette. Very happy. Even at my advanced age, I enjoyed a track day at Sebring, only getting to 140mph as a novice

Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

26 years old, personal injury attorney.

I had an Audi S5, which I loved, but it started to give me some problems with the fuel injectors. I considered trading it for an Audi RS7 because of the performance and sound, but after test driving the F-Type R I fell in love.

When I realized that a fully-optioned F-Type (minus the carbon ceramics) was almost $20k cheaper than a fully-optioned RS7, it was a no-brainer. It was a bit difficult to get used to RWD again after driving an AWD for a few years.

By the way, my dad got a 911 Carrera GTS the same weekend I got my Jag, and while the Porsche is definitely a better car when it comes to handling, technology, and fit and finish, it doesn't sound nearly as good and it costs $40k more, so I think I made the right choice.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Not too sure about that "fit and finish" remark but ok

Old 11-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I still don't understand all of these fit and finish comments, I came from Audi's and an AMG Merc and they're good but so is Jag, but different. Not sterile teutonic.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

50 something. Executive Officer in a public company.

Purchased the F-Type S coupe last week. First Jaguar after a 15 years with various Lexuses (or is that Lexi). Chose the F-Type because it is just beautiful! Other contenders were: SL was beautiful too, but too complex and concern over quality. BMW M4 and Porsche's were nice, but just too common around here.

I also have a '69 280SL that I'm passionate about, but this younger ride is going to cause tension in the garage. They are both works of art!

Quick Reply: what are your demographics?