F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your radar detector of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I stopped using these years ago because of constant false alarms in urban areas. My experience was that they actually slowed me down because of that issue. Even so, I remain ticket free for a decade just by flowing with traffic and not drawing obvious attention to myself by constant weaving through the traffic maze. And yes, I do drive in a spirited, but safe manner.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I stopped using these years ago because of constant false alarms in urban areas. My experience was that they actually slowed me down because of that issue. Even so, I remain ticket free for a decade just by flowing with traffic and not drawing obvious attention to myself by constant weaving through the traffic maze. And yes, I do drive in a spirited, but safe manner.
Same approach here.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I used to have the same perspective and ran without radar detectors for several years.

However some of the latest detectors have solved this issue because they have the ability filter out known false (either automatically or manually). Once configured you have no false in the urban area. My detector rarely goes off in Atlanta, and when it does, I know its real.

The other reason I didn't use anything in the past is because 60% of the time police use laser, and a radar detector doesn't warn of laser until its too late. So again driving more reasonably without a false sense of protection from a radar detector made sense.

However with the current setup, I have laser jammers, and a quiet radar detector, and it works really well. I can regularly go to triple digit speeds when traffic and road conditions allow, without fear of being ticketed, and yes I have come under laser fire at those speeds, and escaped ticket free - many times.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, but I have no desire to go triple digit speeds on public roads.

Going fast in a straight line is not all that interesting to me. It's acceleration and corner carving that I enjoy.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:28 PM

Thanks, but I have no desire to go triple digit speeds on public roads.

Going fast in a straight line is not all that interesting to me. It's acceleration and corner carving that I enjoy.
Me too but it's possible to break speed limits on mountain climbs too.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Me too but it's possible to break speed limits on mountain climbs too.
True, but I wouldn't be doing that at triple digits on public roads either. There are way too many hazards around corners in addition to other automotive traffic. Animals, side streets, potholes, not to mention other vehicles around the corner make that way too risky. I have thoroughly enjoyed pushing things to the absolute limits on racetracks.

I also like living with an intact body.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:58 AM

True, but I wouldn't be doing that at triple digits on public roads either. There are way too many hazards around corners in addition to other automotive traffic. Animals, side streets, potholes, not to mention other vehicles around the corner make that way too risky. I have thoroughly enjoyed pushing things to the absolute limits on racetracks.

I also like living with an intact body.
So basically your original post about radar detectors was erroneous. The technology allows for you to use a detector without having false alerts that slow you down. However you aren't interested in that. In reality the reason you gave up on them is that you never go fast enough to warrant one on public roads. You are the one following the Camry at 60 mph.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
So basically your original post about radar detectors was erroneous. The technology allows for you to use a detector without having false alerts that slow you down. However you aren't interested in that. In reality the reason you gave up on them is that you never go fast enough to warrant one on public roads. You are the one following the Camry at 60 mph.
Not even close. Keeping up with traffic is routinely 15-20 mph or more above the limit when it's not gridlocked in a crawl. What I said was they kept me from doing that because of constant false alarms, and that I have no desire to go triple digits on public roads. It's informative to hear the technology has progressed, but I don't feel the need.

I find your motivation to project my driving behavior is strange. Do you often make up stories about total strangers?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I find your motivation to project my driving behavior is strange. Do you often make up stories about total strangers?
I just had a vision of Bad Ash taunting Good Ash in "Army of Darkness." I'm sure that my Permanent Record (a record which will follow me for the rest of my life) states "laughs at inappropriate times."

Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I just had a vision of Bad Ash taunting Good Ash in "Army of Darkness." I'm sure that my Permanent Record (a record which will follow me for the rest of my life) states "laughs at inappropriate times."
LOL . . .