F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your response to people who want to race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
This was a regular street, in regular traffic. I wish I knew how to do a 30 mph smoke. Had I known there was such a thing, considering I'm at 0-60 in 3.4 secs, He woulda felt every millisecond of my 1.7 second wrath. Maybe even less considering I would have never even have had to shift out of 1st gear!

Which brings up a good point, in an F's 0-60 time, is the driver in 2nd or 3rd @ 60mph? Not sure what the top speed is @ redline for each gear.
Haha yeah, I guess now I feel comfortable enough to say this:
I was beaten by an sls and a boxster in the street.
The truth is, I'm just not willing to go 80mph in city streets. I feel silly about it though because I was OK with launching my car, but not willing to go all the way. I chickened out
Now someone say: thank you for sharing hardwired
And I say: thanks for making this a safe place guys
And the internet says: I could be doing so much more, why are you using me for this!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by hardwired:
Mbourne (06-22-2016), SinF (06-24-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What I like doing when an interested party pulls up next to me at a light is to rev the engine hard a few times before the light changes and spin the tires for a few revolutions when the light changes just before shutting it down and launching as per usual. If that succeeds in goading them into a full launch, it makes for a good laugh. Even more so if a gendarme is nearby.

And, Jay...we are clearly a bad influence on each other.
Birds of a feather Lance. (Bad? I actually thought I/we was/were behaving myself/ourselves).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-23-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have not been challenged by equivalent competition (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes) as they are not typically driven by morons. However, 1970s minivans, Buicks with teenagers, souped up old camaros with bad paint jobs, Hyundais and the like are a regular occurrence and mostly in the city in traffic. Car attracts them like bugs to a flame. I try to let them get far in front of me, as they obviously have the brains of a peanut.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

In my part of the world I fortunately have not experienced this very often, and to my knowledge never in the F Type. I do sometimes get people at a stop line revving and inching forward when I'm diving an XJ. Probably they think "I don't want to get stuck behind that slow old man". I almost always let them pull ahead from the get go unless they are being stupidly slow about and then I'll just drive on. I won't race them even to the limit because UK roads are far too overcrowded and we have a generation of pedestrians who blindly walk into busy roads because their phone didn't warn them to look for traffic. I pass enough lamp post with bouquets of flowers tied to them on my way to the office as it is.

The only roadside attention I get from other drivers is cars slowing down to overtake me and get a good look, or people gesturing for me to make a little noise when queuing with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
ioneabee (06-23-2016), JimC64 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm always getting challenged. I wasn't even ten miles from my dealership when I picked it up and some younger guy in a Lexus F of some sort was wanting a go. It was pretty beat up so I wasn't to sure of his driving ability. His GF was filming from the passenger seat. I gave it a couple of revs and let them go on.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
I live in a community near Palm Beach Int'l Raceway.... Pretty much everything from a frickin' Prius to SRT Hellcat wants to race me twice a week like a clockwork. Our own streets turn into drag strips after midnight during the summer months when the kids are not in school. On my street, out of 9 houses, there's 1 SRT Hellcat (high school present), two Corvettes, my Jag and a Camaro SS, Then there's couple top fuel cars that tune up at nights.... Yeah, I don't get to race. Oh, during the day we are an Equine community.
Sounds like there are plenty of horses there at night as well.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I have met a few Tesla's that wanted to race. I have usually responded by rewing the car in "loud mode", and when the lights shift and they take off like a bat from hell - I just wave them goodby with a laughter and a nice and slow take off

And I still make more sound than they do...

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't take the bait. I have nothing to prove. I just smile and give people a thumbs-up.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

In the Dallas area, people seem to be eager to "Speed Check" my car. The only time I ever do is when I know the other driver, and we are in a spot where there is no traffic. An example - coming back from lunch with some colleagues spread across my F-Type and a BMW M5. I had him until my clutch slipped coming up to 3rd.

The only other time I gave in was this guy in a WRX, early in the morning on a mostly empty access road. The light turned green, and I hit it hard (I always do when I am the car in front). The WRX guy must have wanted to race, he hammered it. Seeing him behind me and to the right, I fed Nessie the throttle, but he hung in there. As I approached the speed limit, a thought went through my head. "What glory is there in retiring this poor fellow? If he wins, he will tell everyone for the next day how he beat an F-Type".

With that I released the throttle in a flurry of pops and crackles and he roared past. It was my good deed for the day.

Orkney

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
I don't take the bait. I have nothing to prove. I just smile and give people a thumbs-up.
I agree unless they're being obnoxious. Then I just give them the roll eyes and shake my head and let them make an *** of themselves when the light turns green. I used to get the ricers, Rustangs, and Aussie GTO's challenging my 06 Corvette all of the time. Now they roll up and see the A pillar gauges and hear the supercharger whine and think twice.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 06-23-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

racing on public roads is for morons in my view, we get kids mainly in souped up seat leons trying it on. got to the point now that weve fitted a dash cam as they get very very close.

occasionally on the motor way we will see someone off then back down

Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
I have met a few Tesla's that wanted to race.
You can't take on Tesla, unless it is 50C (120F) outside and their battery packs about to go into safe mode.

Surprisingly, on the track they suffer from poor lateral grip (max at about 0.8G) and safe mode (due to battery heat) kicks in only after a few laps.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
You can't take on Tesla, unless it is 50C (120F) outside and their battery packs about to go into safe mode.

Surprisingly, on the track they suffer from poor lateral grip (max at about 0.8G) and safe mode (due to battery heat) kicks in only after a few laps.
And thats why I like to provoke them with the noise at standstill, and then let them take of and just puddle along myself

But at ~60 mph and above, the F-type will accellerate faster. Not something you should do on public roads though...

The poor lateral grip is probably caused by the high weight of the vehicle. Loads of lateral energy which the tires struggle to overcome.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

My favorite tactic is to creep forward a couple of inches, as if I'm trying to anticipate the green, and then sit there for a few seconds and watch them launch, followed by a slow departure.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
My favorite tactic is to creep forward a couple of inches, as if I'm trying to anticipate the green, and then sit there for a few seconds and watch them launch, followed by a slow departure.
+1

I don't know why, but I love to do that

Old 06-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Call me chicken - it's OK - but, as I said earlier, why bother? Personally I don't wish to "engage" drivers I don't know in any way when I can avoid them. In this crazy mixed up world I just don't want to play any games. But that's just me.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm rather surprised there hasn't been one person here who answered "my response is to blow the paint off their doors."

I'm certain that would have been a common answer in the forums of other marques.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Call me chicken - it's OK - but, as I said earlier, why bother? Personally I don't wish to "engage" drivers I don't know in any way when I can avoid them. In this crazy mixed up world I just don't want to play any games. But that's just me.
I never start - but I have a hard time not "encouraging" them to take off if they start, but without following up.

Yes it's childish - but it's fun, and I can't help it. They do discovere it soon enough, so no need for them to go "all out" - and perhaps they learn something?

Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I'm rather surprised there hasn't been one person here who answered "my response is to blow the paint off their doors."

I'm certain that would have been a common answer in the forums of other marques.
That would have been my response up to a few years ago.. now we have cops everywhere with radar, low speed limits and if you go too fast, they impound your car.

Quite a number of years ago, we used to drag race all the time on seldom used streets and some of the participants had been off duty cops.
Lawrence.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I just smile and wave... I've got much less to prove, and more to lose if something were to go wrong.
Very sensible response. Most of me agrees. But, there's that little nagging voice......

The only thing to 'prove', IMHO, is that Jaguars (and their drivers) are good for something other than going to the opera or country club.....which is the reputation that had developed over the decades and which, now, thankfully, is slowly being reversed.

In good conscience I cannot advocate out-and-out racing on the street. It truly is irresponsible. But, heck, the vast majority of Jags I see on the road are being driven as though they are made out of glass. Damnit, that just ain't right! No need to turn into a wild man with his hair on fire, but it doesn't hurt to go past half throttle from time to time, just to defend Jaguar honor just a bit, does it?

Y'know, it isn't so much about winning. It's about being willing to jump into the game.....as opposed to putt-putting along, perpetually resigned to choking on the exhaust fumes of those damnable, snotty Audis and BMWs

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: What is your response to people who want to race?