F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your response to people who want to race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Doug ,

My 4.2 NA blows most BMW's and AUDI's off the line with out any problem .

I would suspect when you have finished your V12 conversion you will be doing the same .

Cheers ,

Sid

Old 06-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Call me chicken - it's OK - but, as I said earlier, why bother? Personally I don't wish to "engage" drivers I don't know in any way when I can avoid them. In this crazy mixed up world I just don't want to play any games. But that's just me.
Jay,

What Arne and I do is just an entertaining form of "non-engagement, " w/ no eye contact, very subtle;-)

Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I usually just smoke them through the first 3 or 4 gears and then they wonder what the hell it was that just made them look bad. Life is good.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I'm rather surprised there hasn't been one person here who answered "my response is to blow the paint off their doors."

I'm certain that would have been a common answer in the forums of other marques.

Ya Think! Geeeeze

Old 06-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Jay,

What Arne and I do is just an entertaining form of "non-engagement, " w/ no eye contact, very subtle;-)
I wasn't actually worried Foosh but you do know about those Norwegians!

Old 06-27-2016, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I wasn't actually worried Foosh but you do know about those Norwegians!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

When I first got my F type R I have to say I was lured into racing at least 6 or 7 times. It has never been anything that could even come close to keeping up. Mostly civics, wrx, 3 series bmw and things like that.

I had the car for a 3 months and I was on my way back from the store with a trunk full of food and my pregnant finance. A wrx pulled up and revved on me and I totally forgot my fiancé was in the car at that point. I took off got in front and noticed " Uh Oh " my fiancé was not happy at all. I let off the gas and that was the last time I have raced in my car. Now after having some fun in the beginning there really isn't anything to prove. Its not smart to race on streets and highways where people are not paying attention.

You deff can get into allot of trouble with these cars because it just feels so good to go fast.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

If I'd wanted to burn tarmac I'd have saved money and bought a corvette.

Street racing the F-type to me is like entering a wood chopping contest with a fine samurai sword. Sure you can do it, but there are better and uglier tools out there that do the job better. And plenty that do it worse.

I just ignore the race trolls and keep driving the way I want to.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just got home from a two week trip from Ocean City, MD with the F and I have to say... wow, I had never been "invited" to race so many times in my life - and mostly and unfortunately, by "souped up" lifted trucks. If you're familiar with this quaint little (lol, no its not at all actually) 140 block beach town, you know that the car douches are aplenty and it took real restraint to keep it somewhat quiet and safe. On one occasion, however, a newer M3 pulled up next to me at a red light and I figured I'd give it the ole' "3/4 throttle until speed limit" game (police were out in full force that night as well). Went ahead and had a nice pull in Dynamic+S and slowed down before the next block where an office was sitting, looking out for people like us... I had slowed down to the exact speed limit though to be able to look over, smile and continue on my way

Mbourne (07-02-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Big burnout, purge the nitrous...look over and ask them if they want the hit or straight up.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Big burnout, purge the nitrous...look over and ask them if they want the hit or straight up.
LOL

Old 12-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I don't race. I'd love to, but to do it safely would require me to have some level of confidence in the skills of the other drive. I have no confidence in the skills of drivers I don't know.
Go to SCCA Track night. You don’t need to be a member, they will sell you a cheap event membership.
It’s on a race track but the only thing you need to bring is your car and the entry fee. They will rent you a helmet for $20. Or bring your own.
There is no passing unless waved by. So it’s not really racing but you can go as fast as you want to.
They break it up into three groups.
Novice, Intermediate, and expert.
Start at novice. ( You’ll thank me ). Driving at speed is overwhelming at first. Your lap times will reflect that.
If time travel was possible your 5 or 6 event self would pass your novice self in the same car like your novice self had the parking brake on. Speed, real speed comes from experience and the instructors who are there to help you.

Since everybody is going the same direction, understands the same rules and procedures. Is sober and equally focus on driving it’s plenty safe . Nothing is perfect. A sunny afternoon gentle cruise can result in problems, A Garbage truck could smash into you on the road just as easily as Ferrari could on the race track. That rare collector car can make a mistake same as you.

In Wheel to wheel vintage racing with my Jaguar Racing as many as 13 events a year. At speeds in excess of 150 mph since 1976 I had one minor sheet metal denting accident on track. Took me about 30 minutes to repair. But in the shop for the past 40 + years I’ve had an average of one dent, mistake, oops, every 10 years or so. So keeping the race car in the garage is 4 times riskier than racing it!

Bring a safe car with seatbelts ( regular factory, no need for racing harness) and see. You will be scared at first. Everybody is. But Speed is addictive. You will be back. And again and again.
The funny thing is you get speed completely out of your system. Driving home from the race track you’re positively sedate. No speeding, no taking chances etc.
When later you feel a little urge, go to another track event. You’ll meet some nice people from the last event. ( jerks don’t seem to come back) and Now you’re completely addicted.

Last edited by Mguar; 12-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mguar:
Mbourne (12-17-2019), Simon Pickering (12-20-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
How often do you pull up to a traffic light on a 4 lane road and the car next to you wants to race? How do you typically respond?

This has happened a few times during my 2+ weeks of ownership and last night I got smoked by a Toyota Venza. I really had no interest in racing and certainly was not interested in burning up my tires to make a point.

I think next time I'll just look over and say "you know what, you will probably smoke me off the line so go for it"
Racing on the street is extremely foolish!! Tickets, loss of vehicle, Jail time, and worse!!!!

Racing on a race track offers none of those risks.
Wanna get a feeling without much risk or expense?
read about SCCA’s Track nights. I posted it here.

Let’s say you are now addicted to speed and want to try it for real. Honest wheel to wheel racing.
For racing very much on the cheap, Look into Champ car racing. ( used to be Chump car) or LeMons racing.

Vintage racing might be for you if you want to race as a gentleman without risking your sheet metal. As they say, the right crowd and no crowding. It’s where you’ll race with multi million dollar Ferrari’s, Aston Martin’s, and fellow Jaguar enthusiasts.

Want to run with that group but lack the millions? In fact you’d be hard pressed to come up with $1000 cash right now. There is still a way, but it’s closing fast.
Go buy an early Jaguar XJS 1975 ( or one that looks like or can be made to look like that)
You’re going to build a tribute car. Most Vintage groups will allow it. While you won’t be invited to Monterey because that event is so over subscribed enough so they can turn their noses up.

If you show up with the car and a really big fat check book ( like $50,000 fat). You can sit back and have others do the work.
Or with about $5000 and your labor you can turn your tired old XJS into a group 44 tribute car you can go vintage racing with.

It’s not sit back and eat Bon- Bon’s while watching TV but if you have some skill and a willingness to put about 2000 man hours in you get to play with the rich boys too.

There are easy ways and really ugly nasty ways to do things. Unless you know, you likely will wind up doing it the really ugly nasty way.
There are some things to farm out and pay for others to do but that will cost you more, much more than the budget I spoke about.

Everybody wants to go faster, well speed costs, how much ya got? Yet some speed is actually free. Just your labor, and yes you can do this part.

Interested? Should I explain? Nope I’m not interested in selling you anything or working on your project. project. I’ve done Vintage racing since 1976 plus a little before that and figure it’s time to share my knowledge.

Last edited by Mguar; 12-17-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I just look straight back at them tip my head back laughing like a mad man then looking back at them boss eyed with false teeth hanging out complete with saliva running down my cheek, that usually does the trick.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Racing on the road..here in Wales rally cars are road tested at 3am i can hear them its fab I had a Subaru 4×4 turbo £1K the kids can't afford the insurance thank gawd, so they are cheap, anyway they have so much grip they out perform the fastest sports motorcycle to the extent that I pull back and stop racing as I can see the bike flying into the hedge, racing is def for the track, its only here in Wales can you get away with it in the middle of the night maybe certain parts in Scotland and Ireland, but Wales is home and I know every clipping point, manhole cover the surface and camber changes. my S Type 3.0L is fast enough good on fuel the engine is way better than the 4.0L for the extra 40bhp and much higher mpg, it just isn't a car to have, that would be the Jag 4.2 V8 ... I would love to recon my own V6,its a good engine ..be interesting to know what Jaguar did to the Lincoln,i am sure its blueprinted ..what was the question again, Racing on the road "NO" except black BMWs unbadged 2.0L diesels ...

Old 12-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Pickering
, it just isn't a car to have, that would be the Jag 4.2 V8 ..
The 4.2 was my favorite for sound, especially augmented with the aftermarket exhaust. Much sweeter to my ears than the later 6 or 8.

Just listen to this thing

Simon Pickering (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful..but if I dare say this, I would have an Aston, but they are so out of reach to the likes of me,,

BruceTheQuail (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I can guarantee you that the 4.2 with a Paramount Performance back section (not the straight pipe one) sounds identical to the Aston 4.3 or 4.7. I had it done to my first XF and fitted by the dealership (also an Aston dealership), when I turned up to collect it there was a gaggle of guys from Jag/Aston standing around it listening while one of them was revving it. Best sounding exhaust I have ever had, in fact a youngish lady from down the road from where I lived told me that she and her husband loved hearing it start up when they were in bed in the morning. I blushed.

Simon Pickering (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I kick their ***.

89 Jacobra (12-19-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:14 AM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

My response is no response. Our streets are crawling with cops. I'm not that stupid.

Quick Reply: What is your response to people who want to race?