F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's behind this opening in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's behind this opening in the dash?

My Ftype has developed a peculiar humm that sounds like a fan running or the buzz of an equalizer. The noise will die out of a second when I put my foot on the brake pedal but will come back within a second whether my foot stays on or comes off the brake.

I'm not sure but it sounds like the noise is coming from behind this opening in the dash, just to the right of the steering column. Can someone advise what is behind this opening?

Attached Thumbnails What's behind this opening in the dash?-photo-nov-18-8-37-24-am.jpg  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I believe it's a small fan / part of HVAC to keep your hands dry of sweat while cruising around, but I could be wrong.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I believe it's a small fan / part of HVAC to keep your hands dry of sweat while cruising around, but I could be wrong.
Thanks. That's helpful and would make sense in terms of the noise I'm hearing. Something must be going bad with that fan. Maybe it's on the same electrical circuit as the brake pedal switch which might explain why it cuts out for a second when that switch is triggered.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
That is incorrect. It is the "In-vehicle Temperature Sensor". The noise the original poster hears is as follows:

"The in-vehicle temperature sensor is a NTC thermistor installed behind a grill in the instrument panel, on the inboard side of the steering column. A motor within the sensor draws air in through the grill and over the thermistor."

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 11-18-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
That is incorrect. It is the "In-vehicle Temperature Sensor". The noise the original poster hears is as follows:

"The in-vehicle temperature sensor is a NTC thermistor installed behind a grill in the instrument panel, on the inboard side of the steering column. A motor within the sensor draws air in through the grill and over the thermistor."
Thanks for the clarification. That fan that draws the air in is not operating a sit should. Sounds like a simple R/R provided access to it isn't too difficult.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis

“Supposing is Good, But Finding Out is Better” - Mark Twain