F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best Thing About Owning A Truly Great Automobile?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 11:59 AM
Received 186 Likes on 118 Posts
Default What's The Best Thing About Owning A Truly Great Automobile?

It has been known for millennia that it is the taking of personal responsibility that gives meaning to adult life. Unfortunately, we in the West seem to be experiencing an pandemic of terminal adolescence where individuals are fervently resisting the maturation process resulting in the proliferation of tens of millions of adult-children, those attempting to fulfil their childhood fantasies well into adulthood.

So, what does this have to do with owning an F-Type?

No need to sell me on what makes our F-Types the incredible automobiles they are. I love nearly everything about mine [as I am sure we all do here], but THE best thing about owning such a gorgeous car is what it tells us about ourselves. Revealing all our insecurities for the world to see, it's not quite as telling as say, a red Ferrari, or any of the visually offensive Lamborghini's, but just the same, material possessions like these speak volumes about their owners.

Predictably, many of you will take great offence at this post suggesting your motives are pure, but we all know deep down that there truly is an equal amount of good and bad in everything, and that one of the secrets to living life fully is confronting this reality head-on, and in this case, acknowledging what everybody else already knows about us.

Our cars are truly a wonderful gift, and one that many of the older members of the forum well understand. To the young bucks out there, enjoy these great cars as much as you can but pay close attention to what they are telling you about yourself. Perhaps when you are much closer to the grave than the cradle [as am I], you will feel comfortable facing the world without such pretension.

The following users liked this post:
Thunderjet Racing (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:03 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Although I get where you are kinda going with this post, I can't agree with this sentiment at all. I waited almost 50 years to pick this car up. I always wanted to do it but not at any cost. There was always something more important as a younger person starting out, young family, big mortgage to pay, etc...I'm sure you know what I mean. I could have done it long ago but when I did it I wanted the conditions to be right (financial, more time back to myself to drive it not being a younger dad anymore, etc)...There was no rush, as the only person I was intending to impress was myself, and that guy could wait ;-)

This was a deep rooted want that has always been there. In my case I'm doing this for all the right reasons. Because I have a passion for these types of car, and if you knew how little I cared about what anyone thinks it would actually probably shock you...You'd wonder if I'm a human probably...lol

I think an important part of maturing is doing exactly that: Making sure you are doing things for the right reasons, not to please others, etc...We're all guilty of doing that as one point in our younger lives for sure I think...Stopping that is an inherent part of maturation. I really believe that. Some people are probably stunted though and never get there (maturation) ...lol

Whatever ones reasons, there's no crime in owning nice things if you can afford it. One man's opinion.

The following 6 users liked this post by DMeister:
16fnrbrg (06-26-2024), Badgerman (06-27-2024), Chuckster (06-27-2024), HyltofWills (06-26-2024), sov211 (06-26-2024), Thunderjet Racing (06-26-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 887 Posts

For me attention is important (and I'm factoring in exclusivity here), my personally finding it attractive is also very important, driving dynamics (fun) is more important, reliability is very important, tech is somewhat important, budget is important, practicality is somewhat important, and the F Type ticks all of those boxes. If attention wasnt important, I'd probably have a beefed up c63, if dynamics werent important I would have a F Pace SVR, if reliability wasnt important I'd have a Guilia QV, if tech wasnt somewhat important I would have a previous gen Vantage manual, if budget wasnt important I would have a DBS superleggara.

I mentioned to a fellow a while back that I had lost a lot of money on cars over the years, and his response was that I had invested in my own joy, which is true, and a very nice way to look at it.

sov211 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 728 Posts

I can't say I don't enjoy some attention, but I think I enjoy the car most when I'm on a country road and there is no one in sight.

Mostly joking:

Thunderjet Racing (06-28-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here’s what I think my car says about me:
1. When I was 6 years old, this was my favorite hot wheels car:

2. I’ve been so damn responsible my entire life. A good friend asked me: what are you doing for fun?

Is it any surprise I ended up with a red F-Type coupe?!

The following 2 users liked this post by SportsEngineer:
Golfnutjtl (Yesterday), Thunderjet Racing (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:48 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
... if reliability wasn't important I'd have a Guilia QV, if tech wasn't somewhat important I would have a previous gen Vantage manual ...
That Vantage would have ticked the unimportance of reliability box, too!

BruceTheQuail (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 10:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a first time Jaguar owner, this car reminds me of a modern muscle car wearing a tuxedo, and I'm a huge fan of that.
Relative to today's car market, a used F-Type represents a tremendous value right now and checks all the boxes as a future collectible in the right spec.

Thunderjet Racing (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by scm
That Vantage would have ticked the unimportance of reliability box, too!
My buddy has a 2009 Vantage and it has been very reliable. I remember wondering about it when he bought it if it might end up being a nightmare, but it hasn’t. I’ve since come across articles that talk about how that era of Vantage are very reliable…Which adds up and matches his experience…He puts lots of miles on it too…

Old 06-27-2024, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DMeister
My buddy has a 2009 Vantage and it has been very reliable. I remember wondering about it when he bought it if it might end up being a nightmare, but it hasn’t. I’ve since come across articles that talk about how that era of Vantage are very reliable…Which adds up and matches his experience…He puts lots of miles on it too…
Yeah I was told that for the 2014 models which I was targeting you could get very bad ones and very good ones so a decent mechanical inspection pre purchase was essential. I was after a true manual which was a safer bet than the robotised manual/auto. But what I found was that they were like hen's teeth, and I could spend another 30% putting on bits to get the less dowdy look (as in some ways it was a step backward from the F Type), so I was looking at SVR numbers to get the car I wanted including stamp duty of about $20K which irritated me beyond belief. So I modded mine instead which kept me happy for a few years, and then bought the Mustang GT as a second car and modded it as well to get the manual 8 in a modern car with plenty of tech and zero class, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome .

Old 06-28-2024, 05:06 PM
Received 249 Likes on 126 Posts

I stopped looking at other cars.

The following 4 users liked this post by jcb-memphis:
Luc Lapierre (06-28-2024), RGPV6S (Yesterday), scm (Yesterday), Thunderjet Racing (06-28-2024)
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I stopped looking at other cars.

I still look, but with sympathy ....

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
RGPV6S (Yesterday), Thunderjet Racing (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 728 Posts

I find it amusing that I've been getting more "hey, nice car" shouts as I drive in my 1991 Miata than the F-Type. Maybe I can hear them better, but I suspect it's a little more friendly, less intimidating. There's no "oh, look, it's one of *those* guys" impression. That, and I don't drive like an *** in the Miata. There's no point. Well, I don't drive like an *** ever, at least not that you can prove ;^)

Also, a 34 year old car that still looks new is bound to draw attention. I'll follow up on that in 2040. Stay tuned.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disagree

To own an F-Type is to reveal one's insecurities? Nonsense.

If you'd said such ownership reveals uncompromising good taste or relative affluence/success or an affinity for British motoring heritage and styling then I'd agree.

Which "insecurities" exactly do you think F-Type ownership reveals? Maybe some buyers are compensating for self-esteem issues or whatever, but I think your theory is absurd for the most part.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like a big reason for a car getting noticed is its “rarity” level in a certain area. If you live in an area where there are tons of F-Types, you’ll probably just blend in. The most common car around my parts is a Tesla. I’ve only seen one other F-Type in the town I live in.

Old Today, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ramart

If you'd said such ownership reveals uncompromising good taste or relative affluence/success or an affinity for British motoring heritage and styling then I'd agree.

Which "insecurities" exactly do you think F-Type ownership reveals? Maybe some buyers are compensating for self-esteem issues or whatever, but I think your theory is absurd for the most part.
You’re directly saying partly what I was thinking but didn’t add to what I said above. The only thing I took from the OP”s post is that we have clearer insight into their personality and how they think. That’s all that can be really accurately taken from what was said. To generalize and suggest that basically anyone who has, or wants to have, nice things is insecure really is ridiculous. Sorry, but it is.

In my view, it’s actually the complete opposite. To not pursue your interests in this short life because you’re concerned about what others think in any way would represent insecurity, and that would be an opportunity lost. Getting older is supposed to free one of insecurities, at least if you’re doing it right.

Old Today, 04:53 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ramart
An insecure F-Type owner would be driving an Aston!

DMeister (Today)
Old Today, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I resemble that comment!

Old Today, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by scm
LOL, I won’t tell my bud with the 2009. Good one.

What you are really saying is: If you are driving an Aston Martin you have to be even more insecure ;-)

So going from an F-type to an Aston Martin would be like upgrading one’s insecurities if you follow the OPs thinking I suppose ;-)

Last edited by DMeister; Today at 05:58 AM.
Old Today, 06:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm...

My immediate reaction when I read the 1st post was "hey, go fill the tank, find a twisty road, and put your right foot down, that'll cheer you up"...

I drive an F-type because I grew up driving around the countryside in Austin-Healey 3000's, E-Types, MG's, and Triumphs. Most of them, we hauled out of junk yards, fixed up, and then sold off rather quickly, it was our summer job between school terms. Those brands are all gone now, and I wanted a car with a warranty for the added piece of mind. I'm useless at DIY repairs anymore, so buying an old car from my youth was out of the question, no matter how much I would have loved to re-live those days.

As for other people's reactions to the car - I've nicknamed it the "smile magnet". I can't drive it anywhere without people yelling "nice car", and practically everyone simply adopts a big, goofy grin whenever they see it. Young boys jump up and down and yell "gun it!". Even the archetypical little old ladies flash a thumbs up and smile and wave. My reaction to this ? I feel rather good that by simply driving past I've made someone's day... I know it's the car, not me, but in this day and age, it's "kinda nice" to make other people smile just by cruising by... so if that says something about my psychological make-up, I don't know what it means, and in the great scheme of things I don't really care. I just know I love great cars, and I'm grateful that I've lived a life that has ended up with me being able to have a couple of Jags parked in my "cathouse" (the garage).

Old Today, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Badgerman
Hmm...

My immediate reaction when I read the 1st post was "hey, go fill the tank, find a twisty road, and put your right foot down, that'll cheer you up"...

I drive an F-type because I grew up driving around the countryside in Austin-Healey 3000's, E-Types, MG's, and Triumphs. Most of them, we hauled out of junk yards, fixed up, and then sold off rather quickly, it was our summer job between school terms. Those brands are all gone now, and I wanted a car with a warranty for the added piece of mind. I'm useless at DIY repairs anymore, so buying an old car from my youth was out of the question, no matter how much I would have loved to re-live those days.

As for other people's reactions to the car - I've nicknamed it the "smile magnet". I can't drive it anywhere without people yelling "nice car", and practically everyone simply adopts a big, goofy grin whenever they see it. Young boys jump up and down and yell "gun it!". Even the archetypical little old ladies flash a thumbs up and smile and wave. My reaction to this ? I feel rather good that by simply driving past I've made someone's day... I know it's the car, not me, but in this day and age, it's "kinda nice" to make other people smile just by cruising by... so if that says something about my psychological make-up, I don't know what it means, and in the great scheme of things I don't really care. I just know I love great cars, and I'm grateful that I've lived a life that has ended up with me being able to have a couple of Jags parked in my "cathouse" (the garage).
When I first got the car it seemed rather under the radar, but it definitely does seem to attracting quite a bit of attention as time goes on…Attention that I personally could do with out if I’m being honest…I’d rather not have it if given the choice, but If it comes along with my selfish pursuit of owning a car like this then so be it.

Some people like that kind of attention and some do not. I don’t think it means much one way or the other.

My buddy with his Aston, now that car seems to get a lot of attention. I’ve been in it with him, and it definitely does. He enjoys the attention, but it’s not because he’s a douche or anything. He just thinks it’s fun talking to people about his car. I can see that.

Quick Reply: What's The Best Thing About Owning A Truly Great Automobile?