F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best Thing About Owning A Truly Great Automobile?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 08:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Like you, I could easily go without the attention, but learned back in the day, especially with the Healey and E-Type, that you simply can't drive a car like these without getting at least some attention. So in a way, I was prepared for it. And it's only for the F... last time anybody asked me anything about my XE was "Is that the new Hyundai?"... ! I just smiled and politely said no...

Old 06-30-2024, 11:25 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Badgerman
And it's only for the F... last time anybody asked me anything about my XE was "Is that the new Hyundai?"... ! I just smiled and politely said no...
I thought this thread was about getting compliments, not insults!

The following users liked this post:
Badgerman (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 12:00 PM
Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

I suspected that sooner or later, those who have been fortunate enough to transcend their egos would chime in and enlighten us with their clarity.

I believe that part of the maturation process is an individual beginning to see how we are all capable of being and experiencing everything. In his brilliance, George Carlin made this point when he said that the purpose of the homeless was to scare the sh*t out of the middle class so as to keep us going to those wonderful jobs. Although I have been quite successful over the years, there was never a time when I didn't gaze at a beaten-down homeless person and think that he could have been me if things had gone another way.

And what do you think when you see people driving ultra-expensive cars...must be a nice guy? I've seen too many people glaring at me over the years in my cars which has been one of the reasons it took me about 20 years to get another really nice car after my '98 993C2S.

Don't get me wrong because I've been in love with sports cars since I saw my first 911 in 1964, but [like everything in life], there is always good and bad. Don't think so, try being a physician and working in this health care system. Or how about having a beautiful girlfriend/wife? To believe that you will only experience the good in life is a pretty hard sell to any human being that has made it to 2 years of age.

Old 06-30-2024, 02:31 PM

To me, being unwilling to buy and drive a car that puts a smile on your face, because you're worried about what others think, would reveal a massive insecurity. Life is too short to worry about the opinions of others.

The following 4 users liked this post by Hellahashtags:
Chuckster (06-30-2024), J444G (07-01-2024), RGPV6S (07-01-2024), stirlingsilver (07-01-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:42 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
I suspected that sooner or later, those who have been fortunate enough to transcend their egos would chime in and enlighten us with their clarity.

I believe that part of the maturation process is an individual beginning to see how we are all capable of being and experiencing everything. In his brilliance, George Carlin made this point when he said that the purpose of the homeless was to scare the sh*t out of the middle class so as to keep us going to those wonderful jobs. Although I have been quite successful over the years, there was never a time when I didn't gaze at a beaten-down homeless person and think that he could have been me if things had gone another way.

And what do you think when you see people driving ultra-expensive cars...must be a nice guy? I've seen too many people glaring at me over the years in my cars which has been one of the reasons it took me about 20 years to get another really nice car after my '98 993C2S.

Don't get me wrong because I've been in love with sports cars since I saw my first 911 in 1964, but [like everything in life], there is always good and bad. Don't think so, try being a physician and working in this health care system. Or how about having a beautiful girlfriend/wife? To believe that you will only experience the good in life is a pretty hard sell to any human being that has made it to 2 years of age.
You can't post something like that and not expect people to challenge you on it. Simple as that. If that's how you think then that's how you think, but don't be going on here and basically insisting that this is the mindset of everyone. It absolutely is not. I mean, your goal must have been to invoke the very reaction you are getting. It had to be. And now you are getting edgy about things and talking about peoples' egos? Really?

I'm not offended in the least, mainly because I don't overact to random comments by random people on the Internet, but it is a very interesting post that YOU decided to make here. You put yourself and your thoughts out there when you did this. This may or may not have any bearing on those of others, despite your claims/confidence that it does. This is getting a bit weird quite frankly.

Old 06-30-2024, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
. This is getting a bit weird quite frankly.
I posted this because I thought it would be interesting to talk with people about something outside the echo chamber. What I brought up is nothing earth-shattering to anybody who has done any thinking at all. The idea that we carry all kinds of feelings is quite commonly held.

And of course I have insecurities. Don't you? Or perhaps you are one of those who have transcended such lower order emotions?

Sometimes I just get tired of reading the same stuff over and over and interject something different. Don't you ever get tired of reading all the non-sense that people post about themselves [like their sh*t doesn't stink]?

The only weird thing here is having you comment and then say how weird it is. Please virtue signal elsewhere.

Old 06-30-2024, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hellahashtags
To me, being unwilling to buy and drive a car that puts a smile on your face, because you're worried about what others think, would reveal a massive insecurity. Life is too short to worry about the opinions of others.
Spoken like a true narcissist.

Old 06-30-2024, 06:48 PM

I posted this because I thought it would be interesting to talk with people about something outside the echo chamber. What I brought up is nothing earth-shattering to anybody who has done any thinking at all. The idea that we carry all kinds of feelings is quite commonly held.

And of course I have insecurities. Don't you? Or perhaps you are one of those who have transcended such lower order emotions?

Sometimes I just get tired of reading the same stuff over and over and interject something different. Don't you ever get tired of reading all the non-sense that people post about themselves [like their sh*t doesn't stink]?

The only weird thing here is having you comment and then say how weird it is. Please virtue signal elsewhere.
I’ll bow out now, as I’ve basically said what I had to say. It’s your thread, so carry on I guess. All I would finally say is that it almost takes a bit of arrogance for you to say what you’ve said here and basically impose it on everyone else’s thoughts as if it’s fact. That’s the only “problem” I have with it. I mean, do what you want with the feedback. It’s clear you’re not necessarily happy that not everyone in the thread is completely accepting of your assertions/narrative etc…Sure what it seems like anyway…

I posted what I did originally and then thought on it a bit afterwards, added some more thoughts. Not a crime. That can happen on forums on occasion.

Old 06-30-2024, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hellahashtags
I’m no psychotherapist, but I’m fairly certain that you’re not meeting the definition of a narcissist based on your comment. Just a guess ;-0

Old 06-30-2024, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I might have to book myself in for a head check, I had no idea that I was the only person buying a noisy beautiful sports car for whom third party attention was at least a factor

The following users liked this post:
Badgerman (07-01-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 08:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm really confused about this topic, it had my mind going in circles. Supposedly owning and F-Type is revealing something about myself to others? I guess, but that something could be virtually anything depending on who I am and the relative observer. And who gets to determine that an F-Type, or any other car is a "truly great automobile". I like mine, but all the cars are hunks of metal, plastic, and maybe some scarce bits of wood. Send any of them to the crusher and they all start looking the same. So what am I revealing to someone else if I think my F-Type is a run of the mill car like anything else? Interesting thought exercise I guess but too many assumptions IMHO. Cheers

Old 06-30-2024, 08:44 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

I heard there was a similar thread to this one over on the Prius Forum.

BEST !

RWS

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunderjet Racing:
Badgerman (07-01-2024), DMeister (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 08:55 PM
Received 275 Likes on 209 Posts

The best part about owning a truly great automobile is the laughs I get from weird-*** threads like this

The following 6 users liked this post by dangoesfast:
Badgerman (07-01-2024), Chuckster (07-01-2024), J444G (07-01-2024), Luc Lapierre (07-01-2024), RGPV6S (07-01-2024), Thunderjet Racing (06-30-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

material possessions like these speak volumes about their owners.
I would not impose generalizations about F-type owners such as fulfilling childhood fantasies, revealing insecurities etc. One can own a F-type in excellent condition for the price of a Honda Accord. There is no shame in appreciating good design and thrilling performance. That said, I did feel a sense of reflection with a recent F-type purchase thinking the resources might have been better allocated to helping others.

Old 07-01-2024, 09:08 AM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

This was a fun, light-hearted thread ...

The following 2 users liked this post by jcb-memphis:
J444G (07-01-2024), Luc Lapierre (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
I’m no psychotherapist, but I’m fairly certain that you’re not meeting the definition of a narcissist based on your comment. Just a guess ;-0
Technically, you are correct, but we are all living in world where the elite and their minions in the professional and administrative classes have adopted your philosophy of placing the self at the center of the Universe, certainly the shortest path to the gates of personal hell.

Caring about others' opinions is not synonymous with doing their bidding, instead, it's about helping them by attempting to understand their situation.

Old 07-01-2024, 12:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically, you are correct, but we are all living in world where the elite and their minions in the professional and administrative classes have adopted your philosophy of placing the self at the center of the Universe, certainly the shortest path to the gates of personal hell.

Caring about others' opinions is not synonymous with doing their bidding, instead, it's about helping them by attempting to understand their situation.
I suppose everyone's motivation for buying a sports car is different, but if a person is buying a car because he/she has "insecurities," that person is not buying a Jaguar today.

You have to be quite emotionally confident to buy a Jaguar. Insecure people tend to be badge ****** and trend followers, like buying SUVs and EVs even when they don't need the space or the EV drivetrain. Due to all the nonsense negativity towards Jaguar products today, Jaguar cars do not attract badge ****** in this day and age.

You will not win a social / friend approval by owning a Jaguar. If anything, they will trash-talk the Jaguar brand. Thus, "insecure" people cannot stand buying and owning Jaguars in general.

Try your logic on Macan (base) forum instead, with that Porsche badge ****** built on Audi Q5. I bet you aren't exactly active on Rennlist to make a similar allegation at the Macan Base owners, after all. ^^

Last edited by double-o-seven; 07-01-2024 at 12:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by double-o-seven:
DMeister (07-01-2024), Hellahashtags (07-01-2024), scm (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 12:19 PM

I didn't expect that buying a Jaguar and joining a forum would throw me into this weird rabbit hole, where a strange person on the internet would call me a narcissist, while displaying not-so-subtle undertones of ageism and classism, all while hinting that I may be closer to Hell and bad things may happen to me for my ownership decision. Thank you Jaguar internet witch doctor man, for you've provided more entertainment than I could possibly have expected

Last edited by Hellahashtags; 07-01-2024 at 12:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hellahashtags:
Chuckster (07-01-2024), DMeister (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 12:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, random people who accuse others of narcissism and "being selfish" are typically the worst narcissists and self-serving people and should be avoided.

They are kinda like "Karens," but more selfish and yes, super-insecure, while accusing others of being so in their thinly-guised reverse psychology.

The following 2 users liked this post by double-o-seven:
DMeister (07-01-2024), Hellahashtags (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

I enjoy driving my F-Type.
I bought it as a "toy" during covid.
It filled the gap and I put a lot of (s)miles on it during that period.
Would I call it a truly great automobile? Probably not.
Did I buy it show off - no, though I did fix my JAGWAH plate to it, which actually gets more comments than the car itself.
Will I keep it when the warranty expires - most likely not.

Quick Reply: What's The Best Thing About Owning A Truly Great Automobile?