F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's The Best Thing About Owning A Truly Great Automobile?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 01:29 PM
Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

The F Type is the first car that made me stop looking for the "next car".
While owning each of my previous cars, I'd always find myself pining after some other make/model (s). THANKFULLY, that is no more.

I've driven a number of other sporty cars since I bought the jag, but none that had a combination of attributes more satisfying to me than that of my car. I think that satisfaction with ones car is dependent on a combination of a large number of qualities (the majority of which perhaps do not show up on the spec sheet), and will of course differ between individuals. Somehow, Jag managed to cover a lot of them! For me, at least.

The following 2 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
RGPV6S (07-01-2024), Thunderjet Racing (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:58 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
A 2001 XK8 was the first car that made me stop looking for the "next car". The "next car" was a 2004 4.2 XKR, followed by a 2010 5.0 XKR. And then I drove an F-Type. Sigh. But there is definitely no "next car" after this - they've stopped making cars I could desire.

The following 3 users liked this post by scm:
Badgerman (07-02-2024), BruceTheQuail (07-01-2024), jcb-memphis (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 02:25 PM
Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
they've stopped making cars I could desire.
That's certainly a factor!
I mean, I can imagine cars that I'd like more. Nobody's making them though 😕

The following users liked this post:
Thunderjet Racing (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 03:35 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
Technically, you are correct, but we are all living in world where the elite and their minions in the professional and administrative classes have adopted your philosophy of placing the self at the center of the Universe, certainly the shortest path to the gates of personal hell.

Caring about others' opinions is not synonymous with doing their bidding, instead, it's about helping them by attempting to understand their situation.
You are so far off the mark man. Are you enjoying being disrespectful? You really are starting to sound a bit crazy sauce.

I drive a Jaguar F-type. I am very secure in the decision to do so and do not care one way or the other what anyone thinks about my decision to drive this fun car. That’s how I live my life. I beat to my own drum on most things when it comes right down to it. What exactly is wrong with these facts? I mean, seriously.

Just because someone blazes their own path in life doesn’t mean they are not caring, or whatever else one might like to talk about in terms of nice attributes that a good human would have.

You choose to twist these facts and make it such that you think you know anything about me, or anyone else here for that matter.

As I said, this is truly getting weird. Someone else here basically suggested that you are depressed or something. Starting to wonder myself…

At this point you’ve definitely lost the plot.

Old 07-01-2024, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hellahashtags
I didn't expect that buying a Jaguar and joining a forum would throw me into this weird rabbit hole, where a strange person on the internet would call me a narcissist, while displaying not-so-subtle undertones of ageism and classism, all while hinting that I may be closer to Hell and bad things may happen to me for my ownership decision. Thank you Jaguar internet witch doctor man, for you've provided more entertainment than I could possibly have expected
This one made my day, so thanks for that…lol

Hellahashtags (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by double-o-seven
I suppose everyone's motivation for buying a sports car is different, but if a person is buying a car because he/she has "insecurities," that person is not buying a Jaguar today.

You have to be quite emotionally confident to buy a Jaguar. Insecure people tend to be badge ****** and trend followers, like buying SUVs and EVs even when they don't need the space or the EV drivetrain. Due to all the nonsense negativity towards Jaguar products today, Jaguar cars do not attract badge ****** in this day and age.

You will not win a social / friend approval by owning a Jaguar. If anything, they will trash-talk the Jaguar brand. Thus, "insecure" people cannot stand buying and owning Jaguars in general.

Try your logic on Macan (base) forum instead, with that Porsche badge ****** built on Audi Q5. I bet you aren't exactly active on Rennlist to make a similar allegation at the Macan Base owners, after all. ^^
Jesus, I’m even more man secure than I thought. Lol.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
A 2001 XK8 was the first car that made me stop looking for the "next car". The "next car" was a 2004 4.2 XKR, followed by a 2010 5.0 XKR. And then I drove an F-Type. Sigh. But there is definitely no "next car" after this - they've stopped making cars I could desire.
Off topic (I'm bored with this one since I am apparently the only attention ***** in town), but do you miss your XKR? I know it is a completely different car to the F Type, but I'm really missing mine, and I dont know if I'm just romanticizing it, as the transmission was slow for today's standards and the infotainment very dated. I really love our XE which has fantastic tech and is a beautiful car to drive, a real keeper, but my heart would give it up if my missus would take a '12MY or newer XKR even if my head tells me that the XE is a better choice. I last owned the XKR in 2016 but I think I miss it more now than ever.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:19 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellahashtags
Thank you Jaguar internet witch doctor man, for you've provided more entertainment than I could possibly have expected
Your woke comments aside, I am happy that I have been able to provide entertainment for you. Opening up the discussion to something a bit deeper than the vexing dilemma of sticky buttons and the apocalyptic possibility of coolant pipes self-destructing [along with the ever popular, observing people lusting after my F Type (no ego to see here)], makes it a bit more interesting [for some].

Old 07-01-2024, 04:24 PM

Crap, you have a stage 1 tune on your car. I wonder what that is trying to say about you? ;-0 Must be saying something.

jcb-memphis (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
While owning each of my previous cars, I'd always find myself pining after some other make/model (s). THANKFULLY, that is no more.

I've driven a number of other sporty cars since I bought the jag, but none that had a combination of attributes more satisfying to me than that of my car. I think that satisfaction with ones car is dependent on a combination of a large number of qualities (the majority of which perhaps do not show up on the spec sheet), and will of course differ between individuals. Somehow, Jag managed to cover a lot of them! For me, at least.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 07-01-2024, 08:56 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

I suppose the times in which we find ourselves in stole the bait off my hook. I do appreciate the know-how shared on this site and wish everybody good health and success going forward.

And for all those young men out there who believe they have a pretty good handle on things, I will share with you what an uncle of mine used to tell me on a regular basis [when I was young and believed that I knew which way was up]. "When you are 21 you know everything; every year after that you know less and less and less... ."

It's not a sign of weakness to admit how little we truly know, nor how difficult it is to confront life in all its complexities. I have found that although I am highly educated [formally and informally], I practically know nothing as I reach the beginning of my eighth decade. Fortunately, there are several among us who apparently can make up for my fall from grace. Enjoy your knowledge [while it lasts].

Thunderjet Racing (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 04:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Off topic (I'm bored with this one since I am apparently the only attention ***** in town), but do you miss your XKR? I know it is a completely different car to the F Type, but I'm really missing mine, and I dont know if I'm just romanticizing it, as the transmission was slow for today's standards and the infotainment very dated. I really love our XE which has fantastic tech and is a beautiful car to drive, a real keeper, but my heart would give it up if my missus would take a '12MY or newer XKR even if my head tells me that the XE is a better choice. I last owned the XKR in 2016 but I think I miss it more now than ever.
Good question! I think the only thing I really miss about the XKR are the two storage units in back (aka "seats") which I found really useful to put bags, coats, etc. on instead of in the boot/trunk. As you say, it is a completely different beast, but I don't regret downsizing (in 2018) to the smaller, more economical Jaaaag.

Just thought: I also don't miss the battery placement - I think the F-Type's will be much easier to fit without excessive back strain!

Last edited by scm; 07-02-2024 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2024, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Good question! I think the only thing I really miss about the XKR are the two storage units in back (aka "seats") which I found really useful to put bags, coats, etc. on instead of in the boot/trunk. As you say, it is a completely different beast, but I don't regret downsizing (in 2018) to the smaller, more economical Jaaaag.

Just thought: I also don't miss the battery placement - I think the F-Type's will be much easier to fit without excessive back strain!
hmmmm, I dunno, the F Type is a much better driver's car for sure but the post '11 XK was an ideal shape in my eyes. I'm very subtly sending pictures of a IRR XKR to my missus to see if she is tempted (6 in a day is subtle, right?) but the XE is a hard package to beat tech wise and she reckons she needs proper back seats, for our dogs.

Old 07-02-2024, 12:13 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
... she reckons she needs proper back seats, for our dogs.
You put dogs in a cat?

BruceTheQuail (07-02-2024)