F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the process of a muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's the process of a muffler delete?

Hello all,

I'm looking at low cost options to get more sound from the jag. I'm looking at a muffler delete and maybe a resonator delete. I am wanting more overall sound across all RPMS. I feel like I only hear the jag when I put my foot down. I want to hear the car even when idling. Maybe I'm looking to straight pipe it? Unsure what the options are outside of an actual cat back exhaust system or something.

I've read that a res delete may not do much for the sound and causes cabin drone. If anyone whose done one can chime in with the result and if it's worth it.

I'm more curious on the muffler delete and was wondering what else I would need to look out for. Does it need to be reprogrammed for the active exhaust to work, does it need a tune, etc.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Would love to hear more options I have or sound examples. Haven't heard many straight piped f types. I've looked up straight piped XKR's and think they sound pretty good.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Can't comment much on the V8 as I have a measly V6 but I am fairly sure the V8 does not have resonators in the exhaust system before the main muffler, instead it has an X-pipe. The V6 on the other hand has a twin barrel resonator instead of an X-pipe.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:31 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I remember a story of a guy who installed a big-*** stereo in his car so he could troll the neighborhood touting his awesomeness. People noticed alright, and stole the stereo equipment about a month later. Point being, attention works both ways, besides making you unpopular with your neighbors, but you do you.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by kb58
I remember a story of a guy who installed a big-*** stereo in his car so he could troll the neighborhood touting his awesomeness. People noticed alright, and stole the stereo equipment about a month later. Point being, attention works both ways, besides making you unpopular with your neighbors, but you do you.
I have no neighbors so I have no worries there.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I'd look at the VAP touring exhaust first. It is mega loud, so obnoxious even on my v6 that it is only once in a blue moon that I drive it in dynamic.

i might be wrong but I think that the straight piped XKRs that sound good might have had the 4.2 V8 which sounded better IMHO than the 5.0 V8. I had a paramount back box on my 4.2 XF which was apparently virtually straight pipes, it sounded epic, huge meaty bassy sound. When I traded it for a 5.0 I put the back box on it, it sounded awful, just a metallic scrapey crap sound, and I got rid of the car after 12 months.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I'd look at the VAP touring exhaust first. It is mega loud, so obnoxious even on my v6 that it is only once in a blue moon that I drive it in dynamic.

i might be wrong but I think that the straight piped XKRs that sound good might have had the 4.2 V8 which sounded better IMHO than the 5.0 V8. I had a paramount back box on my 4.2 XF which was apparently virtually straight pipes, it sounded epic, huge meaty bassy sound. When I traded it for a 5.0 I put the back box on it, it sounded awful, just a metallic scrapey crap sound, and I got rid of the car after 12 months.
hmm I'll look into the VAP touring, sounds like something down my alley.

I was wondering if you know that a muffler delete will cause error codes or check engine light?

Old 09-05-2022, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Dont know, but I put n x pipe on the XKR and it didnt, and I removed the active exhaust fuse on it and there was no lights (the service guys mentioned that so I suppose it did bring up a code), but then I think I read that changing CATS brings up a code, not that I would do that anyway.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojeii
Hello all,

I'm looking at low cost options to get more sound from the jag. I'm looking at a muffler delete and maybe a resonator delete. I am wanting more overall sound across all RPMS. I feel like I only hear the jag when I put my foot down. I want to hear the car even when idling. Maybe I'm looking to straight pipe it? Unsure what the options are outside of an actual cat back exhaust system or something.

I've read that a res delete may not do much for the sound and causes cabin drone. If anyone whose done one can chime in with the result and if it's worth it.

I'm more curious on the muffler delete and was wondering what else I would need to look out for. Does it need to be reprogrammed for the active exhaust to work, does it need a tune, etc.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Would love to hear more options I have or sound examples. Haven't heard many straight piped f types. I've looked up straight piped XKR's and think they sound pretty good.
Quicksilver offers some very good sounding exhausts for the F-Type. Only other option is to cut the resonators. I’ve heard a SVR with a QS installed and it was definitely louder than the factory system although not by much. Same for a F-Pace SVR with res delete. And it doesn’t make a huge difference on the inside where it’s quite insulated.

Also not possible to make it much louder at idle. That’s just a function of how the engine was designed. Took it to an exhaust shop and the guy was explaining how it has to do with flow in the engine - it won’t sound like an American V8 idling away. The guy had a straight piped E92 V8 M3 which sounded bonkers when accelerating but was also quiet at idle.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

When I put BMC air filters in mine I thought it sounded noticeably louder at idle, from outside the car. I'd guess the full cone filters would do more of the same. I'm a bit obsessed with noise though, not sure that anyone else would notice.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:27 PM

I went to a muffler shop and they told me that there was no resonator's on my 15' V8 R. I think I also read this somewhere too so the resonator delete seems to be out of the question.

I guess now I am wanting just a muffler delete. I was told I have to find my own pipes to bring in so they can weld it but I have no idea where to even find such pipes.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojeii
I went to a muffler shop and they told me that there was no resonator's on my 15' V8 R. I think I also read this somewhere too so the resonator delete seems to be out of the question.

I guess now I am wanting just a muffler delete. I was told I have to find my own pipes to bring in so they can weld it but I have no idea where to even find such pipes.
Verify that you get the proper size....But this is an example of "WHERE" you get the materials. I am sure there are many others.

LINK HERE

DC

Old 09-06-2022, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I like loud cars, I really do. I heard an F-Type with the VAP exhaust and 200 Cats and it was just too loud. It powered right past obnoxious and well into 'I hate everyone around me'.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:15 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a V8R and have vap 200 cell cats and had the valved vap touring muffler, it was loud even with the valves shut it was still quite load.
It was still a bit raspy as well which i was trying to get rid of.
Then Supersprint came along, i was the first in the UK to buy and have one fitted, i started with the rear muffler which has to be sleeved as bigger bore which sounded good but still not quite right imo.
Super quiet when off, quieter than std, which is a good thing, i then got the mid section, again bigger bore which has no "X" pipe, OMG the sound.
It sounds like no other system for the ftype in a good way : )

Old 09-06-2022, 03:36 PM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Two things I've wondered about:
Cutouts
Borla exhaust
Anybody know anything about either?

Old 09-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Borla are very popular with the Mustang crew, apparently epic noise, zero drone.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I like loud cars, I really do. I heard an F-Type with the VAP exhaust and 200 Cats and it was just too loud. It powered right past obnoxious and well into 'I hate everyone around me'.
I wonder if it is louder than a muffler delete. I love loud cars too, this is why I am looking at this option. Also, I can still drive the car normally if it's too loud. The car is still fun to me at low RPM's which is where I want to maximize the sound because this car idling is so quiet it's actually cool but not what I was expecting.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:33 PM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Accurate sample of exhaust system sound

Hello Guys,
here are two sample videos of what the SuperSprint exhaust system sounds like. Judge for yourself.

This video shows you how the fabrication department at SuperSprint Italy manufacturers by hand, the exhaust system for the F-Type sports car.

Last edited by Turko; 09-06-2022 at 07:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-07-2022, 11:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This looks like a high quality/expensive muffler delete from Velocity AP.

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...g-sound-level/

Old 09-07-2022, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by ToysARs

Nice looking piece but I can't imagine anyone along any route I choose to travel being happy with a choice like that.

That reminds me, I think I need to take my Ducati 900SS with Termignonis out of mothballs before I get too popular with my neighbors.

The following users liked this post:
Turko (09-08-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ToysARs

been eyeing that but it's too expensive. I feel like a muffler shop can create this for a fraction of the price.

Quick Reply: What's the process of a muffler delete?