F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's recommended service SVR at this stage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 01:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's recommended service SVR at this stage?

Picked up last Sept a 2017 SVR with 15K miles. Had the Jag dealer do an extensive PPI which came up with no issues and did the following services while it was there:
-Drain and fill T Case / Oil Change / Changed Brake Fluid / Engine & Cabin air filters. They did pressure check the coolant system and said they checked all belts ..etc during the PPI. I do worry about that but so far no signs of any issue. I live in Northern Canada and not sure if that helps with temps of 80F about as hot as it gets for the most part and normally in the 60's. Not sure if that helps.

With the car approaching 6 years the mtce book says I need to do (6 years or 100,000 miles):
-Replace spark plugs
-Replace supercharger belt
-Replace rear locking diff which I believe the SVR has based on the option list I pulled.

Does this seem correct or anything else I should add? I do have 4 years of Jag warranty on the vehicle so don't want to give them an excuse if something does fail to not cover it. Jag did not give me the history on what services were done by the previous owner who had it from new. I will double check with him as we do keep in touch to make sure if he did the rear diff or the belt but probably not.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMar
Picked up last Sept a 2017 SVR with 15K miles. Had the Jag dealer do an extensive PPI which came up with no issues and did the following services while it was there:
-Drain and fill T Case / Oil Change / Changed Brake Fluid / Engine & Cabin air filters. They did pressure check the coolant system and said they checked all belts ..etc during the PPI. I do worry about that but so far no signs of any issue. I live in Northern Canada and not sure if that helps with temps of 80F about as hot as it gets for the most part and normally in the 60's. Not sure if that helps.

With the car approaching 6 years the mtce book says I need to do (6 years or 100,000 miles):
-Replace spark plugs
-Replace supercharger belt
-Replace rear locking diff which I believe the SVR has based on the option list I pulled.

Does this seem correct or anything else I should add? I do have 4 years of Jag warranty on the vehicle so don't want to give them an excuse if something does fail to not cover it. Jag did not give me the history on what services were done by the previous owner who had it from new. I will double check with him as we do keep in touch to make sure if he did the rear diff or the belt but probably not.

Thanks in advance.
None of those three items are really needed at such low mileage BUT you need to do them to preserve the warranty.
You can skip them and take a very small risk that nothing goes wrong before the warranty expires, or you can get them done (at mucho expense!) for peace of mind.
The last one - "replace rear locking diff" - doesn't sound right to me, I suspect it is really replace rear diff fluid or maybe the transfer case fluid.
The SVR has the same rear E-diff as the F-Type R and per the attached service schedule there is no mention of replacing the rear diff fluid but it says the transfer case fluid should be replaced at 6 years or 96,000 miles so my guess is someone has made a boo-boo, either you or the maintenance book you talk about.
Never heard of a scheduled service to replace the diff itself, that just sounds wrong to me!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
16FTypeMaint.pdf (471.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Agree, the diff is super expensive, has to be the fluid.

I have a lowly S with non electric limited slip diff and I changed the fluid on it, the transfer case and the front diff at 55k just to be thorough. I suspect the transfer case and front diff could have gone to 100k-ish and I probably won't do them until 150k. The rear diff gets a lot of exercise, so I plan to do it probably every 30 to 50k from this point forward. Did the plugs at 50k and they looked brand new - mechanic was sort of amazed (BMW shop...they much be tougher on plugs). He thinks they can go 100k (even if you tune it he said). Also, no carbon build up. Thank goodness....not sure how they do it, but I use Jag approved oils....that helps. BG44 stuff gets used a lot to clean the injectors. I use it more than I probably need to but the car runs superbly.

Next week the shop is installing metal cooling pipes, a newer rear cooling tube (not metal, but new), the solid s/c thing, and other stuff....am also changing the S/c fluid and putting 5.1 oz's in. New belt too.

Not recommended unless you plan to keep the car long term (expensive, and it does not affect all F-type):
I replaced anything with rust on the bottom (a bunch or braces but also the rear subframes)....new stuff is better steel...then I prepped it with rust prevention oil spray (the sort of stuff LR Defender owners use...the old Defender....). Overkill but I hate rust. Car sans the oil now looks brand new underneath. There are threads on this issue in the forum.

Got chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner and cleaned the steering wheel...just amazing feeling leather once cleaned...better than new. I also ceramic coated the paint (myself)....way worth it.

All just normal stuff. These are great engines! Really the whole car is solid. Very underrated cars and after having a 996TT (coolant hose issues, tranny fork issues known flaw..., vacuum tubing leak with 20h of labor to just look for it estimated....) and seeing the issues with 997's and 991's (bore scoring is a real thing), these are actually to me better cars anywhere but a track and even then, the F-type is fun. Fun matters. The last 992 I was in was sterile inside, generic outside, really big, and had huge tire noise.

Oh, almost forgot, did the tranny fluid/filter at 55k. I really want to make sure the zf8 is always being taken care of....no tranny is really lifetime fill...

Good luck. SVR's are super cool.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-28-2023 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobMar (01-31-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 07:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

@RobMar Here's the 2017 model year maintenance schedule. They extended the service intervals on a few items from the 2016 one.

The following 2 users liked this post by not an engineer:
OzXFR (01-28-2023), RobMar (01-31-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by not an engineer
@RobMar Here's the 2017 model year maintenance schedule. They extended the service intervals on a few items from the 2016 one.
As far as I can see the main difference is the addition of "renew automatic transmission fluid - 10 years / 160,000 miles".
Before this JLR have always said the auto trans fluid is "filled for life" although ZF themselves recommend the fluid be changed every 60,000 miles or so.
Anyway I doubt there is a single 2017 MY or later F-Type auto with 160,000 miles on it and of course that's only 6 years old max.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:12 PM

Yup, sorry meant replace rear diff fluid.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:21 PM

Thanks. The page from my book is a bit different. I did confirm with the Jag dealer and they agreed to the 9 year window for the supercharger belt versus 6 years. They told me they could inspect it at $125.00 USD or change it for $135.00 USD. Crazy but I guess I will get it changed out along with the spark plugs and rear diff oil is not a lot to replace so will do so.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:26 PM

Thanks jcb-memphis. Had a 997 TT and a 993 C4S that I miss big time but you are right the P-Cars can dish out some beatings on mtce costs. Good advice on your post and this is my second one. The first 2018R I took very good care from a mtce standpoint and it did not miss a beat.