F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your experience with penfed and is it good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your experience with penfed and is it good?

I am looking to lease an f-type and I heard a lot about penfed. A lot of the reviews for penfed have been fairly negative. I was wondering if penfed is a legitimate credit union or are they "out to get you"?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Try searching the forum for 'penfed' - you'll find a lot of discussion of them, and a number of people have used them and recommend them.

Not sure if this link will work to a search...
Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Search Results

I personally have no experience with them.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Where are these negative penfed reviews you speak of?

I'm on my third penfed car loan and they'll be the first I go to for my next one.

With the loan for my F-Type they actually fixed a titling issue that the dealer refused to fix for me. A mistake which was the dealer's fault in the first place. A mistake that would have cost me over $10k. Called penfed and they took care of it over the phone and issued me a new corrected title.

If you have good credit and are responsible with the monthly payments, PenFed tends to be the best credit union option out there when comparing interest rates and loan types.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Where are these negative penfed reviews you speak of?

I'm on my third penfed car loan and they'll be the first I go to for my next one.

With the loan for my F-Type they actually fixed a titling issue that the dealer refused to fix for me. A mistake which was the dealer's fault in the first place. A mistake that would have cost me over $10k. Called penfed and they took care of it over the phone and issued me a new corrected title.

If you have good credit and are responsible with the monthly payments, PenFed tends to be the best credit union option out there when comparing interest rates and loan types.
I used PenFed for my FTR purchase and they were great to work with. No issues at all. I am curious what the complaints were that you saw elsewhere?

I have heard that they can be a bit more difficult to work with if you've got less than great credit, so that may where the issues originate.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
I have heard that they can be a bit more difficult to work with if you've got less than great credit, so that may where the issues originate.
Yeah that would be my only guess as to why some people had issues. Hard to blame PenFed for that without more details.

I put them at the same level as USAA in terms of customer service.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
I used PenFed for my FTR purchase and they were great to work with. No issues at all. I am curious what the complaints were that you saw elsewhere?

Typically, the best and most reliable financial institutions tend to make things harder on customers with questionable credit and/or make them pay with higher interest rates. That's a major reason they are so financially solid. It's the ones who say, "bad credit, no problem," that you should run away from.

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (10-09-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

only speculation on my part as I've never dealt with penfed or a balloon type of loan...but it could be that some people were bitten by the balloon payment. Maybe, for whatever reason, the balloon payment was much more than the car was worth so they had to pay out of pocket. Happened with balloon type of payments in housing. People loved the low monthly payments, until it was time for the balloon payment and couldn't get a good loan bc interest rates jumped. Similar could be said of leasing. There are stories of people getting hammered on penalties because they returned a car that was beyond normal wear and tear. Each form of financing has its downside.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
only speculation on my part as I've never dealt with penfed or a balloon type of loan...but it could be that some people were bitten by the balloon payment. Maybe, for whatever reason, the balloon payment was much more than the car was worth so they had to pay out of pocket. Happened with balloon type of payments in housing. People loved the low monthly payments, until it was time for the balloon payment and couldn't get a good loan bc interest rates jumped. Similar could be said of leasing. There are stories of people getting hammered on penalties because they returned a car that was beyond normal wear and tear. Each form of financing has its downside.
True enough. With any kind of loan like this, you either need to be comfortable with reselling at a loss if the market turns against you or with buying out the car in some way or another at the end of the term.

Personally I was debating between leasing and buying outright, and ended up with the balloon payment loan as something of a middle ground. I figure by the time the 3 years is up, I'll know if I plan to keep it long term or not.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I currently have a traditional car loan with penfed. They like everything to be done elrctronically, but no issues. I would use them again. What is nature of negative reviews as others have asked?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I currently have a traditional car loan with penfed. They like everything to be done elrctronically, but no issues. I would use them again. What is nature of negative reviews as others have asked?
The negative reviews were mostly on yelp.com

Old 10-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JamesNewman
The negative reviews were mostly on yelp.com
Well there's your problem.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

PenFed used to be my "go to" but I have since changed. I bought 2 cars when they were 1.5% but now they are 2.99%. You can go to any of the big banks and get better than this now. Heck even State Farm offered me 1.99% when I was buying my FTR

Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I had my Ferrari refinanced through PenFed and were very easy to deal with. When I paid off the car they promptly sent the title. The PenFed VISA doesn't have foreign exchange fees and is great for use when traveling abroad.

Last edited by 355rockit; 10-09-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Well there's your problem...
Exactly...!