F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel tracking under warranty (tramlining/negative camber)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 02:41 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel tracking under warranty (tramlining/negative camber)

Hi Jag owners/community,

Does anyone know if the wheel tracking for a 2021 model that has been on the road for 4 months is cover by warranty?

The car is Belgian, currently in another EU country - the official dealer charged me for it (90 euros, plus 65 for wheel balancing) and did a really bad job - almost no change

I think they do this on purpose to charge multiple visits, for something that with a 5 year warranty on a new cat one would absolutely expect included.

An indie did improve it for another 50 euros - but here I am 200 euros later with that tranlining from X300 days - that I know was perfect on the car when new

Old 12-17-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

I assume you are talking about "tramlining" rather than wheel alignment ??
I have no issues with tramlining but I guess it depends on what roads you are driving on
I am under the impression it is mainly a consequence of wider tyres rather than incorrect toe in with wheel alignment so may not be correctable without going to thinner tyres , but happy to be corrected if wrong.
4 space savers spares all round !!

Old 12-18-2020, 02:08 AM
Banned

It's negative camber, not toe in. In fact, this is what causes it for all jags - someone sneaks under you car at night, moves the tie rod end nut half a circle or so - and bam, you start thinking you have to buy new tyres and all sorts of complicated mechanics

But thaB's a separate issue I will write about, maybe use a dash cam to record whoever does it - right now I want to know if it is covered by warranty (it is the time to leave Jaguar for good if they don't cover it and then have the mechanics who expect me to pay 800 euros to fix something that is literally 10 minutes of work)

Old 12-18-2020, 03:28 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by PetarR
... the mechanics who expect me to pay 800 euros to fix something that is literally 10 minutes of work)
Main dealers of all marques charge eye-watering labour rates - you should find an independent you can trust and use them - pay a fair price for good service, but not for fancy premises and "free" coffee.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:30 AM
Banned

Are you an indie advertising your wares??

This is something to be done by Jaguat - during the entire 5 years of warranty. Not something I want to pay anyone for - certainly not for a new car that is easy to fix, and where the indies and the dealers play dumb to milk me.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:33 AM
Banned

It is far too obvious, that as a garage, you go breaking people's cars just slightly, while parked - and then telling them grand stories about what it takes to fix this.

It is also fraud, and a criminal offence.
Try and laugh it away as much as you want, relying on acceptance of corruption - it ends here.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Are you an indie advertising your wares?
Nope, just a user who doesn't like being taken for a ride (expect by my F-TYpe!). It's your choice to use a dealer you think is ripping you off ...

Old 12-18-2020, 03:46 AM
Banned

A user in an F which is under warranty or just recently out would voice opinions about the coverage - not about how needed indies are because it is simply acceptable for the main dealers to rip you off or ignore the warranty coverage.

There is such a thing as 'fit for purpose' - as well as easy ways to establish is the car was sabotaged (if not to establish who did it - the local dealer, the local tyre shop - or the local indie's mechanic whilst lacking paying work)

Old 12-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't imagine any dealer covering tracking/alignment as part of the warranty, since all it often takes is a pothole (amongst other things) to knock the alignment out of kilter. Expecting a car manufacturer to warrant against the poor state of some or the world's roads is expecting a little too much. If you paid for an alignment and they did a bad job then you should really go back and make sure they do it right - every single time I've paid for a 4-wheel alignment, I've had a printed sheet showing 'before' and 'after', along with the range that they aim for, to show it is within that tolerance.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Banned

More falacy, right there - a pothole that would change wheel alignment would have to bend a tie rod - something entirely establishable after just looking at it.

This is how we lost JLR to Indians - all the mumbo jumbo to explain away how someone snuck under your car at night and moved the adjustment nut by half a circle or so. And why a mechanic sells you 4 new tyres and some shims - you are, after all, dumb enough to own a puma cat?

Old 12-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Banned

Who do you think pays for hosting of this forum but an indie (strange alignment with India)? And why do you think all forums talk about complex stuff to turn that nut back to where it was?
Maggie clearly hasn't dealt with the unions right.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member

This is how we lost JLR to Indians - all the mumbo jumbo to explain away how someone snuck under your car at night and moved the adjustment nut by half a circle or so. And why a mechanic sells you 4 new tyres and some shims - you are, after all, dumb enough to own a puma cat?
Er, "we" lost Jaguar to Tata because Ford couldn't afford to keep it, and the Indians recognise a great manufacturer when they see it. Not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Banned

No mate,

Ford bought it to make it reliable. They did (if it had real issues before).
My x300 was awesome- except the alignment was only ever perfect once after a good fraud free shop did it once.

The troubles always appeared overnight when it was parked on the street. I tell you know, with hindsight - it literally was people who'd sneak a spanner under the wheel and turn the tie rod end nut a bit so it starts to tramline/follow the road contours too much (negative camber)

The experience was the same now - and people gave up on it eventually (only 3 months old but F so far is awesome)

The mechanics capitalised on this too much - so the sales were poor - and designers could not find a fault.

JLR need to give their dealers a serious kicking, audit them a bit - and presto, the best of British. Buy it back first though, please.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member

No mate,

Ford bought it to make it reliable. They did (if it had real issues before).
Not sure where you think I said why Ford bought Jaguar - I told you why they sold it, which is what you were saying (incorrectly).

I still don't understand what point you're making - are you suggesting that Jaguar sends people out to mess up your tracking while it's parked on the road? Or are you just venting because some low-life does it to you and you think JLR should pick up the tab?

The following users liked this post:
Cluck (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 06:10 PM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

PetarR,

Ordinarily, I would suggest that you visit the New Member Area and post a required introduction. But frankly, the Jaguar Forums doesn't need a new member with your snarky attitude and inexplicable opinions.

You have been banned permanently and your thread closed. Perhaps another forum will appreciate your unique views.

Don

The following 6 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (12-21-2020), AD2014 (12-21-2020), Borbor (12-18-2020), Lani Kai (12-19-2020), Mahjik (12-18-2020), Unhingd (12-19-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)