Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels Wheels Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 06:59 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts
Post Wheels Wheels Wheels

F-typers,

I was reading through all of the wheel posts with interest (discussing offsets, larger tire sizes, front/rear swaps, aftermarket vs. OEM)
But I have a much more mundane request; to see if any one has an interest in trading / buying my 20" black rims.
(This is more of a marketplace post, but didn't find a good place for that so I will post here.)

My 2017 has a set of Gloss Black "Cyclone" rims, 20" , but I want to move to Silver rims, 19"
(to "brighten up" the BRG, and to make the wheels match the chrome trim. Also make it less sporty, and more traditional / sleeper).

See below pictures of what the car has now, and where I would like to trade / buy.

FYI: AutoRimShop often lists all the wheel sizes, code names, and offsets.
Click here fore details. AutoRimShop.com

I am interested in the 19" silver wheels: Propeller, Centrifuge, & Orbit

Old 11-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Gooday. Not a buyer, but I thought to chip in on the wheels you are looking at. I had the 19" Centrifuge on my car in gloss black, in fact they are sitting in my shed and if I was in the US I'd have been a seller to you of them. But really I thought to mention a few things:

1. if you are wanting a ride improvement, IU dont think you will get it. In fact I went from the Centrifuge with P Zeros to 21" flow forged with Michelins, the ride is better on the 21's and the handling massively better. This is due to a combination of stupidly heavy OEM wheels (I think designed for sub-par UK roads) and better tyres;
2. the rims are not as wide, so you end up with a fair gap against the wheel arch especially at the rear which is aesthetically challenged, especially if you are coming from having the 20's;
3. trying to sell the 19's (if you change your mind later) is like offering to give someone herpes. Very few takers.

The following users liked this post:
Mpowerr (12-09-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:48 AM

Bruce,
Good point on the weight of the wheels (sprung mass), impacting ride quality and handling on rough roads.
[separate topic, but the flywheel weight is also excessive in my book... I could whistle a tune over the time it takes the engine to spin down from a high RPM shift]
For me handling is relative.. I have driven cars with multiple tires (summer, all season, snow tires) and each variation can still be satisfying to drive, even though they fall short of the "ultimate" capability of the chassis.
Nice analogy on dumping the OEM 19"'s on the next unsuspecting person in the future... but I do try to be honest and describe all the warts.
Perhaps I will take a peak at light weight silver wheels.

Herminator

Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE=HermanWiegman;2321520]F-typers,

I was reading through all of the wheel posts with interest (discussing offsets, larger tire sizes, front/rear swaps, aftermarket vs. OEM)
But I have a much more mundane request; to see if any one has an interest in trading / buying my 20" black rims.
(This is more of a marketplace post, but didn't find a good place for that so I will post here.)

There is an actual Member Marketplace for posting.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
1. if you are wanting a ride improvement, IU dont think you will get it. In fact I went from the Centrifuge with P Zeros to 21" flow forged with Michelins, the ride is better on the 21's and the handling massively better. This is due to a combination of stupidly heavy OEM wheels (I think designed for sub-par UK roads) and better tyres;
As someone who's got both 19s (snow tires) and 20s (summer), I can say the 19s do have a slightly better ride with the taller sidewall. It's not enough that I'd recommend anyone downsize just for that reason though because it's only marginally different.

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
3. trying to sell the 19's (if you change your mind later) is like offering to give someone herpes. Very few takers.
When the white stuff comes, the OEM 19s are a great option because they're guaranteed to fit (assuming no carbon ceramic brakes) and give more tire options in an already slim pool of candidates. Those might be good enough reasons for there to be some resale value on them but I can see why in your location nobody's buying like this.

As for the offset, it's noticeable but considering all the other rolling sh*tboxes that come out in the winter an F-Type can't help but look good no matter what you do to it

Old 11-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Personally, I think the oem 20” Carbon Blades would look amazing on the BRG. Def the best oem wheel for the f type.

The following users liked this post:
2015 XJR L (10-14-2023)
Old 11-28-2020, 08:05 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm expecting new forged wheels soon, not sure if would trade, but I would give you a good deal on these 20's on my R.

Last edited by 19FRG; 11-28-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
Personally, I think the oem 20” Carbon Blades would look amazing on the BRG. Def the best oem wheel for the f type.
Agree😁

The following 2 users liked this post by glenno:
2015 XJR L (10-14-2023), HermanWiegman (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 02:27 PM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Herman - I think the prolonged spindown time is programmed in for emissions purposes, NOx, I believe. Something to do with high combustion temperatures at lean throttle settings.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Rbr,
There may be many tricks that the fuel injection applies for emissions, but on “spin down” from a previous up-shift, there is almost no gas being injected, due to the throttle plate being closed (foot off the throttle). This spin down is normally a period of cooler combustion due to the relatively small amount of gas and air in the chamber (which can still be at stoichiometry, or lean), resulting in almost no NOx.
The other reason that I think the flywheel has plenty of inertia is from when the clutch is released quickly into the next gear (or skip up two gears), forcing the engine revs to come down to match, there is a pretty good kick of energy into the car’s drivetrain.
The Aston Martin V-8 Vantage also had a heavy OEM fly wheel, to help prevent stalling the engine during pull-away from a stop, as well as smooth out any engine vibration or torque pulsations at lower RPM. There is a healthy market for light weight flywheels and dual clutches for the AM V8 which makes the car a pretty crisp sporting machine.
I may look into this as well knowing that my clutch is starting to slip and I may be in the market for a replacement.
In the mean time I will take it “easy” on the clutch.

Herminator

Old 12-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
Rbr,
There may be many tricks that the fuel injection applies for emissions, but on “spin down” from a previous up-shift, there is almost no gas being injected, due to the throttle plate being closed (foot off the throttle). This spin down is normally a period of cooler combustion due to the relatively small amount of gas and air in the chamber (which can still be at stoichiometry, or lean), resulting in almost no NOx.
The other reason that I think the flywheel has plenty of inertia is from when the clutch is released quickly into the next gear (or skip up two gears), forcing the engine revs to come down to match, there is a pretty good kick of energy into the car’s drivetrain.
The Aston Martin V-8 Vantage also had a heavy OEM fly wheel, to help prevent stalling the engine during pull-away from a stop, as well as smooth out any engine vibration or torque pulsations at lower RPM. There is a healthy market for light weight flywheels and dual clutches for the AM V8 which makes the car a pretty crisp sporting machine.
I may look into this as well knowing that my clutch is starting to slip and I may be in the market for a replacement.
In the mean time I will take it “easy” on the clutch.

Herminator

Wish you were in Atlanta, I would trade you my 19's.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:16 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 2014 F-type 21" Vorsteiner wheels painted

moved thread.

Last edited by vettegood; 12-07-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I take it you repainted the brake calipers.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:53 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

moved thread

Last edited by vettegood; 12-07-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14 AM

Here is the break down of the calipers from the 2017 Brochure.

2017 Brake Caliper

Old 12-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 20" oem wheels

Originally Posted by 19FRG
I'm expecting new forged wheels soon, not sure if would trade, but I would give you a good deal on these 20's on my R.
pls pm me if wheels are still avail,
Tnx, Sparkomatic

Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Default 20" wheels

F-typers,

My 2017 has a set of Gloss Black "Cyclone" rims, 20" , but I want to move to Silver rims, 19"
(to "brighten up" the BRG, and to make the wheels match the chrome trim. Also make it less sporty, and more traditional / sleeper).

See below pictures of what the car has now, and where I would like to trade / buy.

pm me....19" centrifuge here

Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 AM
Default 20" wheels

F-typers,

pm me....19" centrifuge here