F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Engineered Engine Noises are fine... and when they're not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default When Engineered Engine Noises are fine... and when they're not.

Interesting article, but maybe it falls within my confirmation bias that we're "real". I've no insecurity about it in any way... we're real, other cars fake engine noise, and some pipe it in with speakers.
I had no idea BMW did that. Come on.
https://www.carbibles.com/when-engin...en-theyre-not/

Old 08-06-2021, 09:47 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

My CT6 3.0TT has engineered noise that sounds and feels not only appropriate, but has an overall very good sound in the cockpit.
Now the SVR is a whole other sound and feel that while natural and appropriate, is just raucous in the cockpit and everywhere else

Old 08-06-2021, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Car & Driver did a good article back in Jan '17 that told us all about how BMW was using the stereo system to enhance exhaust noise. Complete with Milli Vanilli references. Come on, Bubba.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR 575
My CT6 3.0TT has engineered noise that sounds and feels not only appropriate, but has an overall very good sound in the cockpit.
Now the SVR is a whole other sound and feel that while natural and appropriate, is just raucous in the cockpit and everywhere else
Your SVR (and F Types in general) sound is piped in also, through the Symposer. I removed mine.

DC

Old 08-07-2021, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

The p300 in the XE has "enhanced" noise in dynamic setting. But it actually sounds brilliant inside, like a small bore v8. Makes me happy so I dont knock it, in fact I'd like more of it.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The p300 in the XE has "enhanced" noise in dynamic setting. But it actually sounds brilliant inside, like a small bore v8. Makes me happy so I dont knock it, in fact I'd like more of it.
I test drove a p300 E Pace as a possible replacement for the XC60 T6. I was quite taken with it. Then, upon further research, found it had Stereo exhaust noise. Felt a little cheated.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:21 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Your SVR (and F Types in general) sound is piped in also, through the Symposer. I removed mine.

DC
I believe Ford introduced the "symposer", at least my first contact with such a system of introducing engine noise, particularly intake sound through a controlled valve into the car inferior was in Ford Focus ST and latterly a Focus RS from 2008 (UK market).

I would certainly prefer mine to be removed but don't have the DIY confidence despite the Rock's excellent guide on the topic.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I believe Ford introduced the "symposer", at least my first contact with such a system of introducing engine noise, particularly intake sound through a controlled valve into the car inferior was in Ford Focus ST and latterly a Focus RS from 2008 (UK market).

I would certainly prefer mine to be removed but don't have the DIY confidence despite the Rock's excellent guide on the topic.
Good news! It can be disabled in two minutes and the process is just as easily reversed.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...defeat-171035/

Removal is, by all reports, a royal pain. I'll get to it some day when I'm there for something else, but the only advantage of that over disabling is more room to work. I just haven't needed to do any work that would be made easier by its absence.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I test drove a p300 E Pace as a possible replacement for the XC60 T6. I was quite taken with it. Then, upon further research, found it had Stereo exhaust noise. Felt a little cheated.
Cheers, it's like watching an action movie. If you just accept it's real it is a lot more fun.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59

If you lived just a tad closer, I could handle that for you!

DC

Old 08-08-2021, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't insecurely post this, but as the conversation moved to symposer, how do you guys feel about it in general? Besides the idea that it's sort of a pain to remove, is it cheating? If it's cheating, is it at the same level of the speaker system, sort of the marginalization or ambivalence the author showed about the varying degrees of cheating? I don't have a problem with it, and considering how significantly different the base model six cylinder sounds from the s 6 cylinder, I would be fascinated at the difference of the cabin noise between having the symposer connected and not connected

Old 08-08-2021, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

My gripe with it is not that it's cheating, but that it switches on the way it does, and that the sound is a disembodied drone with an indefinite source. With it disabled I get engine noise from the front and exhaust noise from the back. As it should be.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

I can understand the purpose of it. You want a cabin to be nice and quiet and insulated in a GT, but then you want engine noise and exhaust noise as well, especially when you are sinking the boot. I quite like it. What would be better is if Jag had opening rear quarter class (dont ask me how it can be achieved) in the coupes. That little bit of glass blocks a massive amount of exhaust note

Old 08-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

i disabled my symposer and it made no difference to the noise in the cabin!!!

Old 08-09-2021, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timbo
i disabled my symposer and it made no difference to the noise in the cabin!!!
You're not the first to say that. I believe that OzXFR was another. I have no explanation. It made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the car. There's one place on my commute where I'm merging from one freeway to another and it would always come on as I was coming back up to speed, and always with an abrupt off/on transition. When I first got the car I thought it was the exhaust valves opening, but it's clearly not.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
You're not the first to say that. I believe that OzXFR was another. I have no explanation. It made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the car. There's one place on my commute where I'm merging from one freeway to another and it would always come on as I was coming back up to speed, and always with an abrupt off/on transition. When I first got the car I thought it was the exhaust valves opening, but it's clearly not.
Yep, I did say that when I plugged the symposer pipe a couple of years ago (so I unplugged it).
As I said yesterday in the Mina Gallery intake thread now that I have the lower intake system fitted and much more SC whine I will plug it up again and see if it sounds better or at least different in the cabin, I am hoping the SC whine becomes more pronounced and any symposer "drone" disappears.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88

DC
With the exhaust this car has why would any engineer think of a "symposer" ? Whenever I'm driving the SVR hard I have the windows and the exhaust valves open and all I hear is exhaust, or at least that's what I think LOL
I see disconnecting the the sound tube is easy, what's your thought on the sound after disabling the symposer?

Good news! It can be disabled in two minutes and the process is just as easily reversed.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...defeat-171035/

Removal is, by all reports, a royal pain. I'll get to it some day when I'm there for something else, but the only advantage of that over disabling is more room to work. I just haven't needed to do any work that would be made easier by its absence.
Thanks for the link to your old post and pics!

Old 08-10-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

This description, I believe, fully educated me to a sound that I thought was about the exhaust as well, and I bet it's not.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I too have noticed a very dramatic change in the exhaust frequency and volume right about 3500 RPM and that is even if I have the valves opened manually but the car is not in the Dynamic mode. It occurs very rapidly and is not a gradual change. I may try plugging the intake hose per Lizzardo's tutorial and see if I like the general driving sounds better.

I have some dense rubber mat material, the kind used to line toolbox drawers. It is solid and not ventilated. and about 1/8" or 3mm thick. Would a piece of that be a good choice for a plug, or should I check a hardware store for an appropriately sized rubber stopper ?

Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SVR 575
With the exhaust this car has why would any engineer think of a "symposer" ? Whenever I'm driving the SVR hard I have the windows and the exhaust valves open and all I hear is exhaust, or at least that's what I think LOL
I see disconnecting the the sound tube is easy, what's your thought on the sound after disabling the symposer?

Thanks for the link to your old post and pics!
Hi..

I do not think it makes a huge difference honestly...perhaps just a slight drone removed. I took it out for a few reasons.

1.) Seems silly to me - the whole concept. But to each their own.
2.) Easier access to the S/C to change S/C Oil (next time too!).
3.) I do not like to have extraneous items I do not need/want/or use hanging on the car...so it just cleaned it up a bit.
4.) Gave me another project and opportunity to tinker with the car

Again everyone should do what they want. Those are the reasons I chose to remove mine. Mainly access to S/C.

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
SinF (08-10-2021), SVR 575 (08-10-2021)

Quick Reply: When Engineered Engine Noises are fine... and when they're not.