F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Engineered Engine Noises are fine... and when they're not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Fake engine noises are like bolt-on *****. Some people fine with it, but I am not among these people.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:43 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Well this noise is kind of semi fake. Real engine noise amplified in a weird way.

I plugged my symposer today and couldn't be happier. Got rid of the odd annoying drone added by the symposer and can now hear more of the really nice sound - the exhaust note.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:11 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't care if it's fake. That goes for any number of items that might appeal to my senses. If it brings me joy, I'm in. Lots of machines could truly benefit from some "enhancement" when it comes to the sound department. I'm not going to reject enhancements on principle if the machine sounds more pleasing. Philosophically, I understand the Jag engineers spent an inordinate amount of time tuning the F-Type's engine/exhaust noises...might a purist consider that "fake" as well if the sound mods add weight, complexity, or decrease performance/efficiency?

Old 08-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I too have noticed a very dramatic change in the exhaust frequency and volume right about 3500 RPM and that is even if I have the valves opened manually but the car is not in the Dynamic mode. It occurs very rapidly and is not a gradual change. I may try plugging the intake hose per Lizzardo's tutorial and see if I like the general driving sounds better.

I have some dense rubber mat material, the kind used to line toolbox drawers. It is solid and not ventilated. and about 1/8" or 3mm thick. Would a piece of that be a good choice for a plug, or should I check a hardware store for an appropriately sized rubber stopper ?
I'd hold a flame to it and see how it behaves. If it catches fire, I'd look for something different. The stuff I've got is about 3mm thick and a piece 6cm x 10cm is enough. I checked. It looks like I started with that, folded it lengthwise, then trimmed the long edge at an angle so it rolled up into a tapered plug.

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hi..

I do not think it makes a huge difference honestly...perhaps just a slight drone removed. I took it out for a few reasons.
Maybe a dual-pipe versus quad difference? The V8 exhaust is definitely louder and might make the symposer sounds less obvious.

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Well this noise is kind of semi fake. Real engine noise amplified in a weird way.

I plugged my symposer today and couldn't be happier. Got rid of the odd annoying drone added by the symposer and can now hear more of the really nice sound - the exhaust note.
A V6S, so maybe there is something to the 2 vs. 4 outlet theory. Then again, maybe not.

Originally Posted by YRS
I don't care if it's fake. That goes for any number of items that might appeal to my senses. If it brings me joy, I'm in. Lots of machines could truly benefit from some "enhancement" when it comes to the sound department. I'm not going to reject enhancements on principle if the machine sounds more pleasing. Philosophically, I understand the Jag engineers spent an inordinate amount of time tuning the F-Type's engine/exhaust noises...might a purist consider that "fake" as well if the sound mods add weight, complexity, or decrease performance/efficiency?
It's very simple to disable the symposer and just as simple to reverse, but if you're happy with the car as it, drive it that way. There was something that to me was not more pleasing, so I went the route described. The result is, to me, more pleasing. I love a good exhaust note, and now I hear it better.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS
I reckon that is spot on. After all, the pops and crackles that we all love so much have no purpose and are not a by-product of some sort of performance enhancement, it is just software generating them. A bit like the whoosh you (used to?) get from blow off valves in the turbos - in some cars it is unnecessarily loud. I'm embarrassed to admit I am a real fan of that noise.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:50 AM

Ah, those pops and crackles. I for one am actually not a fan of them and would prefer to be able to disable them with some settings in the car. They were kind of fun in the beginning but now I mostly associate the noise with kids in four banger hot hatches (as we call them over here) which all seem to have that feature these days. I had the same AJ126 V6 in my last XF and was happy it didn't pop and crackle.

Each to their own of course but what I like most about the F-Type sound wise is the V6 exhaust note and am really glad I get to hear more of it now that the symposer shuts up.

Last edited by MajorTom; 08-11-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Ah, those pops and crackles. I for one am actually not a fan of them and would prefer to be able to disable them with some settings in the car. They were kind of fun in the beginning but now I mostly associate the noise with kids in four banger hot hatches (as we call them over here) which all seem to have that feature these days. I had the same AJ126 V6 in my last XF and was happy it didn't pop and crackle.

Each to their own of course but what I like most about the F-Type sound wise is the V6 exhaust note and am really glad I get to hear more of it now that the symposer shuts up.
Your comment really threads the needle for me, because your initial explanation is why I didn't like the loaner "s" 6 cylinder I had. Sounded like farts and mud, but I think that's because it was closer to that hot hatch comment,. For whatever reason, my perspective is that the base model 6 cylinder is more in line with the e-type as a successor, and the exhaust note is more refined than the 380 horsepower. I decided not to do any tuning on my base model because I would never want it to sound like the s or an r, but again...

I don't argue with or care about anything or anyone's personal preferences these are just mine. So I don't care about anything anymore, and I definitely don't fight about opinions with people because that's so dumb. What a waste of time. And I'm only saying that because I've given my perspective on the base model versus other models' sound, and it offended people accidentally... but I'm just some idiot online... who cares what I say?😂😆🙂

If you like the r, if you like the 4-cylinder, if you don't like the symmposer or you do, you're all right. I've been online since 1987 and I haven't had a meaningful argument since about 1997. Whenever I see it, I immediately revert back to some of the best advice I've ever been given: don't ever take anything personally. It's about the other person. Also nothing matters, so that's helpful. Lol might be a post work gin and tonic along for the ride in this comment.

And even if it's easy to dismantle and add back, I also don't like doing things and I'm pretty satisfied right now so maybe it's a future project just for an experiment.

The whole point was that I was reminded of this thread today, when I was talking to an EV owner friend of mine who was talking about the silence of the cars, and I was reminded my father who is alive and well was hit by a Tesla because it was dead silent and it was a dumbass driver not paying attention.

I've heard some of the different musical tones electric vehicles have added to a few models of cars, but it's being suggested in some circles that eventually you'll be able to pick the sound of your car like a ringtone.

That would be a train wreck and I need to look up if that's even really a possibility. Cars should have sounds so they aren't dangerously silent, but that would be the cacophony from hell.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Your comment really threads the needle for me, because your initial explanation is why I didn't like the loaner "s" 6 cylinder I had. Sounded like farts and mud, but I think that's because it was closer to that hot hatch comment,. For whatever reason, my perspective is that the base model 6 cylinder is more in line with the e-type as a successor, and the exhaust note is more refined than the 380 horsepower. I decided not to do any tuning on my base model because I would never want it to sound like the s or an r, but again...
Hmm, that's an interesting comment. I suppose you have the basic non-adaptive exhaust. I thought the non-adaptive and adaptive exhausts were exactly the same, except that the adaptive has the valves which quieten things down automatically or manually, which would mean that the standard exhaust sounds exactly like running the adaptive one with the valves open. I also thought that the base cars crackled and popped.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I essentially I thought that all V6 F-Types sounded exactly the same except below 3500 (?) rpm in normal drive mode when the ones with adaptive exhaust are more quiet.

Speaking of tuning, if I had a base car out of warranty I'd definitely have it remapped up to the 400+ hp it's good for. That's a simple and safe mod that makes a difference and just unlocks the engine's built in normal capacity. That would not change the way it sounds unless you included additional pops and crackles in the map. My previous Jag was an XF with the 340 hp base V6 and I ran it remapped to about 415 hp for 3 years, without any noticeable sound difference.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose you have the basic non-adaptive exhaust. I thought the non-adaptive and adaptive exhausts were exactly the same, except that the adaptive has the valves which quieten things down automatically or manually, which would mean that the standard exhaust sounds exactly like running the adaptive one with the valves open. I also thought that the base cars crackled and popped. So correct me if I'm wrong but I essentially I thought that all V6 F-Types sounded exactly the same except below 3500 (?) rpm in normal drive mode when the ones with adaptive exhaust are more quiet.
This is a meandering ramble, but the TL;DR is that I rabbit holed looking for a couple guys driving a convertible F-Type, I think in Monaco, and the aftermarket muffler had the exhaust popping loudly every second and it's the worst sound and the worst thing ever. I couldn't find it and if anyone knows what I'm talking about PLEASE find it. It's just a great example of how this can be the most elegant car in the world, and just the worst. LOL =) SO....

It's a manual so my control of the power band (a term I know but feel like a poseur while using it) gets CRAZY pops/crackles/purrs/gurgles. I love the gurgles the best. I am like a tiny, immature child because when I'm driving past performance cars with windows rolled down, I act foolish. Which is fine, because a guy in a wild souped up S63 almost shattered my windows the other day while speeding past, gunning it, and howling laughing. =) Like some other vehicles, it would be nice to have the "quiet startup for the neighbors" mode.

I'm not enough of a car guy to really speak to it, but my recollection is that *anything* you do to this car will alter the sound, the 340 and 380 definitely sound different, the tuned base sounds wildly different, x-pipe is way different. I heard an "R" at a Norcal Winery meetup that was louder than a Diablo or Supra LOL Wish I got video of it, it's the black one with the red stripe. Also I'm not much of a nostalgic guy, and I don't really like doing things... but man that meet up was really nice.

As for my original 2016 then this 2019 340 base model (but fully customized w/ pics on the assembly line to boot), it's got the rain/ice and dynamic buttons (not a slider) in front of the shifter, and then the traction control, active exhaust button, start/stop, and spoiler up/down on the right. (picture here but it's UK). The non-customized *base model 340* did not have the 380's limited-slip differential, adaptive suspension, larger brakes, or 19-inch wheels. I did swap my larger tires from my 2016 when trading it in (irrelevant but I don't like small wheels LOL).

I do not know of other 380hp differences, but I do think there's another "driving mode", and hoping our talented crew of forum members can enlighten us!

Speaking of tuning, if I had a base car out of warranty I'd definitely have it remapped up to the 400+ hp it's good for. That's a simple and safe mod that makes a difference and just unlocks the engine's built in normal capacity. That would not change the way it sounds unless you included additional pops and crackles in the map. My previous Jag was an XF with the 340 hp base V6 and I ran it remapped to about 415 hp for 3 years, without any noticeable sound difference.
As I understand, my car will sound different with the tune, and that's why a pre-warranty tune didn't feel worthwhile. They took my 2016 at about 42K for the 2019, which I got in April of 2019.. so I've a bit. But I am happy to say I'm at 20K miles in 2 years. I sort of vowed post warranty to experiment with a tune, x-pipe, pulley swap (again, all words I feel like a cheat using), which I think gets you to 405?

HOWEVER... now a different unknown sound isn't the worry so much as the new CA law that has CARB checking if the ECM is changed from OEM settings so it's an "auto-fail" in smog and emissions testing.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...ing-smog-test/

I'm too dumb to know if you can bypass it, but some have suggested a "switch" back to OEM, which is likely wildly over-simplified. I imagine the tuner will be the ones to do that. I figure the governments will just start prying our ICE engines out of our cold, dead hands. LOL I'm even considering a 1995 Wrangler 4cyl swap from ICE to EV. I assume many, MANY old cars will have to consider this option (and for collectors in a uninstallable and removable way) to stay on the road, at least when aftermarket EV parts become more accessible. I imagine gas and insurance is going to get exponentially more expensive in the next 2 decades, too.
, and I'm fine with it. I seem to have been born such that I lived one of the last carefree childhoods, and now I get to deal with civilization collapse and fires all the time. SUPER GREAT.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 08-13-2021 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thunder Dump (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:06 PM
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting article, but maybe it falls within my confirmation bias that we're "real". I've no insecurity about it in any way... we're real, other cars fake engine noise, and some pipe it in with speakers.
I had no idea BMW did that. Come on.
https://www.carbibles.com/when-engin...en-theyre-not/
Sorry to tell you, F-type also sends augmented fake exhaust tones thru the stereo system. This became very apparent while upgrading my audio system and adding an additional 10" woofer to the rear. The good news it can be disabled two ways. Thru pathfinder software or by turning off the active exhaust button which directly controls the audio system exhaust augmentation. The inside of my car sounds like a heiocopter with the added sub woofer until I turn off active exhaust. Don't believe me, put your ear right on the door 8" driver while you manipulate the active exhaust switch. I have a 2020 R and why Jaguar felt they needed to add fake exhaust noise thru the audio system is a mystery to me. It's 550HP for Christ sakes!

Last edited by Jag Bass; 08-13-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:10 PM

Interesting article, but maybe it falls within my confirmation bias that we're "real". I've no insecurity about it in any way... we're real, other cars fake engine noise, and some pipe it in with speakers.
I had no idea BMW did that. Come on.
https://www.carbibles.com/when-engin...en-theyre-not/
Sorry to tell you, F-type also has augment exhaust tones piped in thru the stereo system. This became very apparent while upgrading my audio system and adding an additional 10" woofer to the rear. The good news it can be disabled two ways. Thru pathfinder and also by turning off the active exhaust button which directly controls the audio system exhaust augmentation. Don't believe me, put your ear right on the door 8" driver while you manipulate the active exhaust switch. I have a 2020 R and why Jaguar felt they needed to add fake exhaust noise thru the audio system is a mystery to me. It's 550HP for Christ sakes!

Old 08-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Bass
Sorry to tell you, F-type also sends augmented fake exhaust tones thru the stereo system. This became very apparent while upgrading my audio system and adding an additional 10" woofer to the rear. The good news it can be disabled two ways. Thru pathfinder software or by turning off the active exhaust button which directly controls the audio system exhaust augmentation. The inside of my car sounds like a heiocopter with the added sub woofer until I turn off active exhaust. Don't believe me, put your ear right on the door 8" driver while you manipulate the active exhaust switch. I have a 2020 R and why Jaguar felt they needed to add fake exhaust noise thru the audio system is a mystery to me. It's 550HP for Christ sakes!
Do you know what setting needs to be altered/turned off to disable "it"? What is it called? Thanks

DC

Old 08-13-2021, 02:48 PM
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you know what setting needs to be altered/turned off to disable "it"? What is it called? Thanks

DC
Interested as well... Currently diagnosing what I can only describe as a tinnitus sounding high pitch ring that occurs over ~3200 RPM. Slightly varies up and down in pitch, with a left to right and back and forth ear signal. Ive done all the research I can think of with all the keywords I can muster but no avail. I plan on disabling the symposer this weekend and seeing if that works. But, certainly sounds like it might be speaker related.

I am taking a drive tomorrow and will attempt to get this sound on video.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:25 PM

DC
I use the active exhaust button to turn it off when nessessary at this point. I guess you could request the dealer to disable thru software if you dont have the pathfinder sdd setup.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:43 PM

As for my original 2016 then this 2019 340 base model (but fully customized w/ pics on the assembly line to boot), it's got the rain/ice and dynamic buttons (not a slider) in front of the shifter, and then the traction control, active exhaust button, start/stop, and spoiler up/down on the right. (picture here but it's UK). The non-customized *base model 340* did not have the 380's limited-slip differential, adaptive suspension, larger brakes, or 19-inch wheels. I did swap my larger tires from my 2016 when trading it in (irrelevant but I don't like small wheels LOL).

As I understand, my car will sound different with the tune, and that's why a pre-warranty tune didn't feel worthwhile. They took my 2016 at about 42K for the 2019, which I got in April of 2019.. so I've a bit. But I am happy to say I'm at 20K miles in 2 years. I sort of vowed post warranty to experiment with a tune, x-pipe, pulley swap (again, all words I feel like a cheat using), which I think gets you to 405?
A plain remap without any mechanical changes will get you a bit beyond 400 hp and shouldn't affect the sound.

Great assembly line shots there! How did you get them to take those shots for you? Awesome spec too - same exterior color and interior color/seats as in mine. Also reminds me of when I had the great pleasure to get a private tour of the entire F-type assembly line at Castle Bromwich the other year.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

I use the active exhaust button to turn it off when nessessary at this point. I guess you could request the dealer to disable thru software if you dont have the pathfinder sdd setup.
I do have the software. That is why I was asking what setting to change. I will look around and try to figure it out.

DC

Old 08-13-2021, 05:10 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm, did not know that. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to tell you, F-type also has augment exhaust tones piped in thru the stereo system. This became very apparent while upgrading my audio system and adding an additional 10" woofer to the rear. The good news it can be disabled two ways. Thru pathfinder and also by turning off the active exhaust button which directly controls the audio system exhaust augmentation. Don't believe me, put your ear right on the door 8" driver while you manipulate the active exhaust switch. I have a 2020 R and why Jaguar felt they needed to add fake exhaust noise thru the audio system is a mystery to me. It's 550HP for Christ sakes!
My 2021 f type 5000 V8 Has not any fake sound, with the audio system turned off does not change anything, the sound is the same, someone said the fake sound is in the P300 2.000 cc, sure not iin my V8

Old 08-16-2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by spegor
My 2021 f type 5000 V8 Has not any fake sound, with the audio system turned off does not change anything, the sound is the same, someone said the fake sound is in the P300 2.000 cc, sure not iin my V8
Didn't think mine did either until the addition of the extra subwoofer, it's very subtle with the factory speakers but trust me it's there. Your's might be a unicorn, but I doubt it.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

A plain remap without any mechanical changes will get you a bit beyond 400 hp and shouldn't affect the sound.

Great assembly line shots there! How did you get them to take those shots for you? Awesome spec too - same exterior color and interior color/seats as in mine. Also reminds me of when I had the great pleasure to get a private tour of the entire F-type assembly line at Castle Bromwich the other year.
Even my 1995 Wrangler follows the same color pattern. =) It's definitely my favorite.

My 2016 had an uncharacteristically weird failure in the engine performance after an o2 update and they couldn't resolve the problem. I was a very patient dude, and probably more kind than normal, because they swapped it out and just "gave me" a new 2019 manual transmission worth quite a bit more, all the new features, didn't charge me prior mileage or anything. I was VERY VERY pleased. They threw in protective coating and really were awesome... swapping out my old wheels, my short shifter, etc. The process for my dealer, HQ and myself sorta became fun... I think it's was a really not-complex one for HQ because it was paid off, so I rapport was pretty breezy and I just thought "I wonder if they'd take shots" and it seems the factory had fun with it.. All things aligned and now I'm a bookend owner the first and last manual!

Quick Reply: When Engineered Engine Noises are fine... and when they're not.