Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When filling with gas, pump cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When filling with gas, pump cuts off

I have a 2016 Ftype S.

when I go to fill it with gas, I use the automatic pump handle lock as I have with every other car… However the gas stops pumping after a few seconds, even on the lowest notch. it sounds like the gas tank is getting full after only a gallon or so has been put in… I have to very slowly fuel manually in order to avoid this… Does anyone else have this problem or ideas?

Old 11-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes. This typically happens in California but there have been reports that this happens nationwide.

There was service bulletin that was issued about a month ago for retailers to replace the fuel filler neck for a redesigned one that can accommodate higher flow rates. Contact your retailer about JTB00443NAS1. I also started a thread about this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ut-now-151082/

Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Mine dies the same thing in NJ. After it shuts off I rotate the filler handle 180' upside down and fill the rest of the way no problem.
Lots of pump jockeys know this trick.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Mine dies the same thing in NJ. After it shuts off I rotate the filler handle 180' upside down and fill the rest of the way no problem.
Lots of pump jockeys know this trick.
Much easier to just take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Took my car back after the first 2 annoying fill-ups, and haven't had a problem since. The right part number needed for this fix is posted in the previous thread about this issue.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Infuriates me every time this happens. Will be dropping it off for the repair asap.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Got mine repaired and still not functioning correctly...don't hold your breath...and I hate having people touch my car.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

In case anyone wondered what the new vs old parts look like. I did not have an issue with putting fuel in the car, my issue was a strange noise when opening the gas cap. The new part has made it more difficult to insert the fuel nozzle but I've only refueled once. I will put fuel in this afternoon and see if there is still difficulty.

Attached Thumbnails When filling with gas, pump cuts off-filler-neck.jpg  

Last edited by RawwR; 11-12-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I complained about the problem and the filler throat was replaced once the dealer confirmed it by replicating the problem. I noticed that the new filler part is the same as on the 2016 models. It is still tricky but works much better than before.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fuel Filling

I own a 2015 XF and live in NJ as well as a previous poster experiencing this problem.

I bought my car new and was having the same problem from the onset with fuel nozzles shutting off frequently but my problem was intermittent. I chose to live with it until Jaguar issued an official TSB regarding this issue. I tried all of the usual "tricks" with rotating nozzles, different stations, etc.. and never found any one solution that worked all of the time.

Just last week I brought my car in for it's first service but was now aware that there was a TSB on the fueling issue. They replaced the gas filler neck and as soon as I left the dealership I went to fill up and had the same exact problem with fueling. NO.....they never took the car to be filled up after they completed this work to see if the filler neck replacement solved the problem. They supposedly replaced the neck with a redesigned version. The dealer now wanted me to bring the car back to do a more thorough diagnostic but I decided to go somewhere else.

I took the car to a dealership in Northern NJ which recently changed ownership and I brought the paperwork from the first dealer with me. The first thing that the second dealership checked was the parts number and it was told to me that the redesigned fuel filler neck had NOT been installed. They had the redesigned filler neck in stock and completed the job within a few hours. I have now filled up two times and no problems at all. And yes.....the second dealer took the car to be filled up after they did the repair so that it could be checked to see if the repair worked.

Based on my experience please make sure that they are using the redesigned parts when doing this job. One would assume that they know this but it appears that this is not so. In fact, I asked the first dealer twice and they assured me that I was getting the newer style filler neck but this was not the case.

The following 3 users liked this post by spanky145:
Buckingham (11-12-2015), DuhCar (11-12-2015), Foosh (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by spanky145
I own a 2015 XF and live in NJ as well as a previous poster experiencing this problem.

I bought my car new and was having the same problem from the onset with fuel nozzles shutting off frequently but my problem was intermittent. I chose to live with it until Jaguar issued an official TSB regarding this issue. I tried all of the usual "tricks" with rotating nozzles, different stations, etc.. and never found any one solution that worked all of the time.

Just last week I brought my car in for it's first service but was now aware that there was a TSB on the fueling issue. They replaced the gas filler neck and as soon as I left the dealership I went to fill up and had the same exact problem with fueling. NO.....they never took the car to be filled up after they completed this work to see if the filler neck replacement solved the problem. They supposedly replaced the neck with a redesigned version. The dealer now wanted me to bring the car back to do a more thorough diagnostic but I decided to go somewhere else.

I took the car to a dealership in Northern NJ which recently changed ownership and I brought the paperwork from the first dealer with me. The first thing that the second dealership checked was the parts number and it was told to me that the redesigned fuel filler neck had NOT been installed. They had the redesigned filler neck in stock and completed the job within a few hours. I have now filled up two times and no problems at all. And yes.....the second dealer took the car to be filled up after they did the repair so that it could be checked to see if the repair worked.

Based on my experience please make sure that they are using the redesigned parts when doing this job. One would assume that they know this but it appears that this is not so. In fact, I asked the first dealer twice and they assured me that I was getting the newer style filler neck but this was not the case.
This is an excellent point. The Jaguar parts catalogue still has the original filler neck parts number. The parts department needs to order the new filler neck based off the part number in the service bulletin.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Ding, ding . . . bet we have a definitive answer to why some people had their cars fixed, and still had the problem. I'd bet the their dealer parts guys just ordered a new filler out of the parts catalog.

What I can't figure out is why my 14 doesn't have the problem.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Ding, ding . . . bet we have a definitive answer to why some people had their cars fixed, and still had the problem. I'd bet the their dealer parts guys just ordered a new filler out of the parts catalog.

Maybe like the Meridian issue: luck of the draw.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I've had both the Meridian fix and the Filler Neck fix.

Filler neck: Perfect fix for me. Have filled up 3 times since, twice at Chevron and once at Shell, and all three times I was able to just leave the gas pump locked and didn't have to touch it.

Meridian: Eh. It's certainly better, but it isn't a great audio system. They swapped out the subwoofer and put adhesive tape over the bracket in the passenger speaker grill where the child seat goes, but the overall sound isn't fantastic. Bass response is better, and less overall bad quality, but still not what I would expect out of the highest end audio system they offer. Better than before, and free, so I'll take it.

Cheers,
TCM

Old 11-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

My 14 vert doesn't have The problem either. Curiouser and curiouser.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I am very pleased so far with the fuel filler update performed on my car a month ago. I must have had the right parts installed because not one issue after numerous fill-ups.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Fix Didn't Work!

F-Typers,
Did anyone else have the dealer-performed fix for the "cuts off at the fuel pump" issue done, and it didn't work? That's the position I find myself in with my 2016 Base. Only tried one fill up after the "fix"; will try again soon to collect more data before calling the dealership again.

Quite annoying. How hard can it be to design a usable gas tank for a car in the 21st century?

Old 10-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EconProf
F-Typers,
Did anyone else have the dealer-performed fix for the "cuts off at the fuel pump" issue done, and it didn't work? That's the position I find myself in with my 2016 Base. Only tried one fill up after the "fix"; will try again soon to collect more data before calling the dealership again.

Quite annoying. How hard can it be to design a usable gas tank for a car in the 21st century?
Had mine fixed, was a complete nuisance for about 6 months... happened the entire duration of filling up. Its still happened since then but not as frequently.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I've had mine shut off since the updated filler neck was installed, but only when it was quite hot. Most of the time now it's fine. It's not perfect, but it is a dramatic improvement.

Quick Reply: When filling with gas, pump cuts off