F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Interior - Yea/Nay

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022 | 01:45 PM
|
Default White Interior - Yea/Nay

So, looking at my next F-Type. Last time had the black interior that was easy to keep clean. I'm looking at one that has a white interior. Looks great but how tough are they to keep clean. This is not a leather interior (at least I don't think it is). Has the leather on the sides of the seat and the suede feeling material on the rest of the seat. I take good car of my car (well at least the F-Type) but wondering how much of a pain will it be as far as clothing dye or sweaty legs if people wearing shorts get in. I asked my wife for her opinion, but it's those on this forum I value most. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2022 | 02:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member

I personally dislike white interiors, having had ivory and oatmeal ones in previous Jags. Neither was difficult to keep clean (for my usage!) but the best light interior I had was Caramel in my Kyanite Blue 2010 XKR - great combo. Good luck with whatever you settle on!

The following users liked this post:
Rob Schwartz (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 04:23 PM
LMS

My first F-Type had white leather interior. It would not have been my fist (or second or third...) choice, but the deal on the car was good so I got it.

I was surprised at how it didn't get very dirty. After a year or so I noticed dye from my jeans rubbed off a little, but it cleaned off with leather cleaner pretty easily. I turned it in with about 35k miles on it and it looked fine.

Old 04-10-2022 | 04:26 PM
|

Thank you for responding. I'm wondering, were your seats the "suede" type with leather on the sides or one of the leather upgrades where the whole seat is leather?

Old 04-10-2022 | 04:26 PM
LMS

Originally Posted by Rob Schwartz
Thank you for responding. I'm wondering, were your seats the "suede" type with leather on the sides or one of the leather upgrades where the whole seat is leather?
Full leather.

Old 04-10-2022 | 04:27 PM

Keeping them clean shouldn't be an issue if you're just a bit careful. It's all mostly a matter of taste.

I for my part can't stand all black interiors and never owned a car with black seats. The sienna tan I have in the F-Type is the darkest seats I had in a car. Finding one with a non-black interior was actually the biggest challenge when I was searching for F-Types.

I once had an Audi A6 with a complete light beige leather/alcantara interior that was my daily driver with small kids for quite a few years. Never had any trouble keeping that interior pristine. The only downside of alcantara or suedecloth as I believe Jaguar still calls it is that it can wear out in a way that leather doesn't.

Old 04-10-2022 | 07:31 PM

It depends on how much maintenance you REALLY WANT to do. White is a problem no matter if it's clothing or car interiors. I really wonder how happy home owners with white kitchen cabinets are.. Do you really want to worry every time you or a passenger gets in? Ballpoint pens leak.. Will that coffee spill come out? And don't even think about getting a mustard stain out. While I remain vigilant about keeping my black interior clean in the F, it's not a daily process. I had white seats in a 67 Corvette convertible and it required a complete seat cleaning anytime we drove top down.

Old 04-10-2022 | 07:54 PM

I have a full leather white interior and it's not difficult to keep clean. My vehicle's at around 33000km and has been clear of jeans stains and other stains with regular cleaning every other month or so. Personally, I chose the white leather as it keeps the car airy and bright compared to the black interior during my test drives.

LMS (04-12-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

If the jeans you wear come off on your seats, its time to stop buying clothing at WalMart.

Seriously tho', gotta watch out ... because denim will abrade leather seats. Get in the habit of putting your hand over the side bolster when climbing in.

Or, drive in silk pajama bottoms.

Old 04-10-2022 | 09:00 PM

Rob -

I may have missed it, but . . .What color is the car? Coupe or convertible?

I have a Stratus Grey vert with Cirrus interior. I've owned it for two years, prior to that one owner. 33K and no issues with the seats or the matching trim. They have been easy to keep clean. I wouldn't worry about it if that's your only concern.

I live in FL and run the top down most of the time - so I really appreciate the light color for seats.

Old 04-11-2022 | 12:56 AM

I've always believed a light interior makes the car pop a little more. I'd prefer it.

Old 04-11-2022 | 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

I had Ivory seats in my old XFR and loved them, I would have liked them again in my F-Type but I settled for red.
They were easy enough to keep clean but they needed cleaning a bit more often than the red to keep them looking pristine.
One thing that puts me off seriously chasing a used R is that here in Oz they are almost all white on black and that is my least favourite colour combo, and as mentioned by others black seats can be a hassle in hot and sunny Adelaide.

Old 04-11-2022 | 03:52 AM

Leather seats easy to keep clean,. white or whatever. I've found that white/light suede effect NOT so easy. Sweaty legs do stain them, as do other obvious culprits. Even if you get stain-proofing, they mark. Just what I've found.

Old 04-11-2022 | 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

I had ivory leather in the first XF (had it 4 1/2 years) and it was easy to keep clean. Give it a wipe to take the salt from sweat off, otherwise it will abrade good leather, and I did get some wear on the bolster seams, but virtually unnoticeable.

If you like the dark tinted look though you will be disappointed, as cars with white seats reflect the white so the tint looks a lot lighter than cars with dark seats.

Old 04-11-2022 | 05:54 AM

Quite a few helpful replies about leather seats, but the original poster says the seats he's looking at aren't leather, but suede effect ones. These are a different story of course.

Rob Schwartz (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022 | 06:51 AM
|

I really appreciate everyone's responses. If the seats were full leather, I wouldn't worry as much. With the suede, and posts here confirm it, it can be a problem. While I take very good of my car, I do use it. People used to be surprised how much I drove my 2016. But hey, I bought it to enjoy not look at it sitting in the garage. And while I don't make it a habit of eating in the car, sometimes the McDonald's drive through calls out. So, thinking unless the dealer really wants to come down more in price, I'm going to pass. Again, thank you everyone. This forum is a valuable resource.

Old 04-11-2022 | 04:46 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Rob Schwartz
I really appreciate everyone's responses. If the seats were full leather, I wouldn't worry as much. With the suede, and posts here confirm it, it can be a problem. While I take very good of my car, I do use it. People used to be surprised how much I drove my 2016. But hey, I bought it to enjoy not look at it sitting in the garage. And while I don't make it a habit of eating in the car, sometimes the McDonald's drive through calls out. So, thinking unless the dealer really wants to come down more in price, I'm going to pass. Again, thank you everyone. This forum is a valuable resource.
Yes the Suede-ish ivory interior is difficult to keep clean. Found chic Fil A ice water more effective than anything else…. I tried about 5 different cleaners

Rob Schwartz (04-11-2022)
Old 04-12-2022 | 03:08 AM

I have MY16 with ivory performance seats and as much i like the looks/asthetics and i also hate it. i find myself constantly using leather wipes on the center stack and the leather trim around the shifter console, its probably because im ocd I also feel light colored leather interior shows leather wear alot more, I know we all have to do our part on caring for the leather and i dont think the previous original owner didn't take much care of the interior and the leather seats, im sure he had the couldnt give a crap attitude since he wasnt keeping the car long term and was only leasing for 2 or 3 yrs, its the next owner that has to deal with it. Having said that, I still don't think the driver side seat left bolster and piping that runs down the center of the seat bottom should have already have really bad leather wear and cracking especially on a car with only 39k miles. Its has definitely made me question the build quality and the materials JLR used on the FType interior, which to me is very disappointing especially coming from and Audi S4. Anyways, going back to your question on white interior, their great but theres alot of up keep but that comes with territory with having light color interior, make you have leather cleaner wipes and leather/interior cleaner spray handy in the car.

Old 04-12-2022 | 02:35 PM

Speaking of that seat bolster... massive wear of the driver seat side bolster was one thing I noticed on all the early F-Types I saw at car shows and dealers back when the F-Type was released. I hope they improved that over time and so far my MY18 performance seats side bolsters seem to last well.

wurldfamuz (04-13-2022)