F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

I brought a v8s convertible just because of the amazing exhaust sound but after the exhaust valve making a noise it went in for the modification.
Since then (6 months) I've been battling with the dealers over no over run sounds all the pops crackles have completely gone!!!
Totally gutted now after 6 months of them having it more than me trying different things to sort the problem out even them removing the mod and putting the exhaust valve pump back in (and leaving me the pump noise again)
I still have no noise.
Well let me tell you what jaguar have now told me and when I get the letter I will put it on here for you all to read,"we have updated your car to the latest software to improve reliability"
And so have now told me that all the v8 cars will soon sound like mine and as its fit for purpose I have no legal right to return my car.
So to conclude everybody who has got or thinking of buying a v8 because of the sound be prepared for them to make it quiet for you.
If anybody wishes to no what they have done to my car in order to correct it feel free to ask including putting 1000 miles on the clock approx.
I have even test drove a 2015 car just to find out if mine was different and let's just say I think I have the quietest v8 jag in the world.
Now wish I'd kept my Xfr at least we no there ment to be quiet

Last edited by Richv8s; 01-25-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Sound changes with software updates have been explored before:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...update-147714/

It's possible you "taught" the car to be quiet based on how you've been driving it. And any software update to the engine management computers will likely impact the sound. Anyone know how to restore "factory default configuration" or reset the learning??

People have asked me "what sound system did you get?" and I tell them "The V6" -- they say, "no, which Meridian Radio did you choose?" and I say "the car comes with a radio??" -- I feel your pain, the sound is part of the experience...

Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

How do you teach the car to be quiet? I understand that there is some adaptation to the driver, but how would that effect sound? I ask because I want to make sure that doesn't happen to me.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:16 PM

I use the car as a weekend fun car mostly on roads I can enjoy the sound track on and of the throttle and generally driving like a...... Law abiding citizen
I've even driven it hard on paddles still no sound I've had the car from new so no how it did sound and how to make a loud pop when I wanted not the car.
The service manager drove the car then drove another car they had in and admitted that it sounded different but now there back tracking saying he never drove mine enough to confirm it.
They told me that they had restored my ecu back to factory but then knocked a oxygen sensor out never had a problem before seamed a little suspect to me and now is back to the updated version.
Feel totally let down and messed around by jaguar if I was told this was a possibility when I brought it I wouldn't of brought one

Old 01-25-2016, 03:18 PM

I've been told by jaguar they will all be quieter once they have gone in to the dealer next time this you do not get to choose about its just done.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:27 PM

Were you told that by Jaguar corporate or the dealership? This smells fishy to me.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Jaguar land rover customer relations uk. So direct from jaguar technical team

Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 PM

Hmmm... I have to think they were mistaken. I imagine an organized plan by them to make all the F-Types quieter would lead to a pretty massive storm of anger from the community.

And a lot of people never ever (myself included) buying a Jaguar product again.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM

That's why I've decided to go to the forum I'll put a copy of the letter as soon as I get it.
I've told them that they have been sold and advertised on the sound and it now been taken away from me I truly hope that it is just my car but they just tell me it's not and has been done to improve the reliability of there cars.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 PM

From an email from JLR :
Dear Mr Smith

I write further to our telephone conversation on 15th January 2016. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the stress and inconvenience this has caused.

I have reviewed all the information from. and also been in contact with our technicians. They have confirmed that Jaguar Land Rover had completed the software updates to improve reliability with our vehicles and your F Type is performing to specification.

I apologise that this has not met with your personnel expectations. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lorraine Swaby
Executive Case Manager
Executive Office

Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 PM

I think that's sufficiently vague as to be meaningless from them. It just reads like a brush off email to me, not a confirmation that sound changes are expected.

I think we need some details as to what specifically the software update does and what "performing to specification" means.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:41 PM

I'll send her an email and ask for more info.
I'm expecting a letter explaining more in the next few day as per phone call today.
I wasn't going to post that email but it's all I have here.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

The sound (and look) is the major signature of the F-type. They also spent thousands of hours perfectioning the sound making it exactly how they wanted it.

I can not believe they will do anything that would compromise what that is now worth for them. It would have too big consequences....

The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you have an equivalent of the lemon law in the UK?
In the US, manufacturers must replace a car if it has the same failure a certain number of times or spends too much time at the dealer. It differs from state to state. If such a law is available, it may not guarantee a resolution since your issue is more aesthetic than functional, but it can pressure them to behave decently.

Richv8s (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Like I said I'm totally gutted and very frustrated I never thought I'd be complaining about the sound.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:05 PM

Sadly no lemon law here but as far as they are concerned it is doing everything it should so fit for purpose so they aren't prepared to do anything at all except give me less than £1200 to except it as it is.
Told them I want my car fixed or replaced or money back told its how they are and that's it

Old 01-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Richv8s
Sadly no lemon law here but as far as they are concerned it is doing everything it should so fit for purpose so they aren't prepared to do anything at all except give me less than £1200 to except it as it is.
Told them I want my car fixed or replaced or money back told its how they are and that's it
I'm sure others can give you better technical advice, but as far as pressuring them, I would personally keep on pressing. You can hurt their sales pretty badly if you honestly speak of your experiences, and they need to understand that.
There is something to be said for oil and squeaky wheels.

Last edited by hardwired; 01-25-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Richv8s (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM

I am a self employed car mechanic myself and have tried everything I can think of to get things put right I no its down to ecu mapping and I no what update has the affect on the car (thanks to this forum)
I've had meetings with the dealer branch manager and there head of sales spoke to the customer relations department and took to speaking with the department manager.
The dealers are happy to say they no it's not right but JLR say it's how it now should be even after they sent a jag factory tec out to it did some more things told me yes it's now fixed only to find that it's still the same as it was 6 months ago.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:21 PM

I'd be happy to try and video it at the weekend as long as the weathers OK to get it out to play.
I'm no longer enjoy driving he car as I no its not right and it really upsets me to think it's not going to get fixed and stuck with a problem they don't want to fix its a lot of money not to enjoy but no longer feel happy with it the way it is.
If you look on the jaguar uk Facebook page there are quite a few complaints about problems on cars that they just fob us off with.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I had complained to my dealer about a buzzing that sounded like a heat shield to me, at around 1500RPM. I think it wasn't making that sound when I took it in - they told me the sound I heard on startup was the active exhaust vacuum pump, and if I didn't like the sound, they'd be happy to disconnect it.

Yeah, right.

Many of us have reported that the car appears to get louder after quite a few miles - 10,000 or more? Mine didn't really get loud until the 2nd year I owned it, although it could be my style got a bit more aggressive.

Lastly, to get the crackling on overrun, I need to use dynamic + sport, so I can hold a gear. In dynamic, it usually shifts too quickly to get much.

Also, I typically don't get much of a snap/pop on the upshift unless I'm in D+S. In D only, the shiftpoints are at a lower RPM.