F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
but honestly I'd be happier if the contrived pops on decel disappeared...

Cheers,
Dave
Don't they lessen or disappear altogether if you aren't in Dynamic & Sport mode?

Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Yes, in the V6 auto. The transmission doesn't hold the higher revs unless I manually shift.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Kief
Don't they lessen or disappear altogether if you aren't in Dynamic & Sport mode?
Yes but that also dampens the regular "under power" noises, which I like....a lot. I'd like to remove the "after fueling" and keep the baffles open. Not a big deal for me either way but it sound's like I'd be fine with the "reduced popping" reflash...just a personal preference.

Dave

Old 03-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick update on my car well let's say JLR still haven't done anything about my car even though there engineer came out and said Ye He can fix it.
They are now not even replying to the head of business at my local dealers who I must say I'm now feeling very sorry for as he is the only person I can now vent my frustrations on.
Hope to hear something on Monday ��

Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Wanted to give another update after a couple more days of driving.

Sport mode actually produces less crackles and pops (almost none) than dynamic - very strange. Sport used to deliver the most overrun sound effects. Even my wife who cares little for cars noticed the difference in soundtrack - she says it sounds far more elegant now!

RichV8, if JLR are able to resolve this for you please post on here as I would like my old F-Type back again.

Last edited by ek993; 03-05-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:13 AM

Don't worry I will gladly post the out come.i feel really sorry for anybody who has to go through what I'm dealing with now with JLR very poor customer service I've now been fighting this for best part of 9 months and I haven't used the car as it really upsets me knowing it's not right and not what they sold me

Old 03-06-2016, 03:44 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes you must be very frustrated Rich. I am surprised that JLR has been so unhelpful Stick with it and hopefully you find resolution soon!

Old 03-06-2016, 03:45 PM

Hope to get some news tomorrow

Old 03-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Agree....

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
If you listen to the exhaust note in Jaguars SVR video, the backfires, pops and bangs are gone.
I think the popping and crackling sounds give the vehicle so much character.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
I think the popping and crackling sounds give the vehicle so much character.
I see you have 2017 on order. Hope Jaguar hasn't silenced them as well. Will be a lot of upset buyers.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I'd freak out !

I'd start barking in the dealership!

Old 03-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
I'd start barking in the dealership!
What is the ETA on the 2017's?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Honestly this whole thing has me baffled...

The factory file that gets loaded into the cars are the same*** for all vehicles so i cannot understand how some cars have lost their pop after the K309 update, and some haven't.

***same for each model and market. For example a 2014 UK-spec V8S is Euro5 emissions, there is only one file in the SDD diagnostic system for a 2014 V8S Euro5 (it's actually the same file that also gets loaded into the LHD Euro cars (French, German, etc) and the other RHD Euro5 markets, i.e. Australia.

If this loss of pop was related to the file that got loaded into the car then every 2014 V8S in the UK, EU, Australia, would have the same issues and this forum (and others too) would be flooded with complaints.

On jaguarforum.co.uk, there is not a single thread on this issue.

On jaguar-forum.de there is one thread, but it's just a link back to this thread here on jaguarforums.com asking if anyone in Germany had this issue. And there are replies of "had the update, no change to the sound"

So this all makes no sense.

It does not surprise me that a dealer can't figure out what's going on, because it really makes no sense at all.

I hope you guys can get it sorted. It's a pity that you are on the other side of the world, I'd be able to flash your cars with the same 'modified' tune we put into the V8S down here (the one that now runs faster than an F-Type R) because it's got even more pop & crackle than before.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Thanks Cam, it really doesn't make any sense!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 PM

I honestly can't understand it either. I posted on this thread early on as I was sure it was an issue with the OP's car - I suggested pulling the active exhaust fuse etc.

The change is so dramatic - to the extent the car is almost completely devoid of overrun pops and crackles. It feels so strange now to put it into sport, accelerate up through the rev range, lift off and.... nothing.

As I said, it can be provoked into pops and crackles - but only by driving in a manner that would get you arrested on the road, or into an accident with the amount of power the V8 has.

The car is 100% different to the one I took in for a service.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Oops I overlooked that a US vehicle was affected too.

Well it's the same deal for the NAS (North American Spec) vehicles, there is only the one file for a 2014 V8S NAS vehicles so if it was related to the tune file, it would happen to all vehicles that got flashed, not just one (or two).

There are four different factory tunes for the 2014 V8S

EU5 = Euro5 which is UK, EU, AUS, and some other markets
EU2 = Euro2 which are a few select markets that have not adopted Euro5 emissions
US = North American "Federal" emissions standard
BRA = Brazil, which has a different tune to cope with the E22 Gasohol

The file names themselves change with an updated version, the last letter of the file goes up sequentially with each new version. For example the current version is -xxD, the previous was -xxC, and so on.

The SDD automatically chooses the appropriate file for the vehicle spec, there is no manual selection made by the technician. All SDD laptops around the world get the same set of files delivered to them from the one central server...

What i'm saying is that it is literally impossible for the same model & spec of vehicle to be flashed with a "wrong" or different file to the next same model & spec vehicle, they will all get the same file.

There has to be something else going on here, and i reckon it's mechanical, or electrical, but not software.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Oops I overlooked that a US vehicle was affected too.

Well it's the same deal for the NAS (North American Spec) vehicles, there is only the one file for a 2014 V8S NAS vehicles so if it was related to the tune file, it would happen to all vehicles that got flashed, not just one (or two).

There are four different factory tunes for the 2014 V8S

EU5 = Euro5 which is UK, EU, AUS, and some other markets
EU2 = Euro2 which are a few select markets that have not adopted Euro5 emissions
US = North American "Federal" emissions standard
BRA = Brazil, which has a different tune to cope with the E22 Gasohol

The file names themselves change with an updated version, the last letter of the file goes up sequentially with each new version. For example the current version is -xxD, the previous was -xxC, and so on.

The SDD automatically chooses the appropriate file for the vehicle spec, there is no manual selection made by the technician. All SDD laptops around the world get the same set of files delivered to them from the one central server...

What i'm saying is that it is literally impossible for the same model & spec of vehicle to be flashed with a "wrong" or different file to the next same model & spec vehicle, they will all get the same file.

There has to be something else going on here, and i reckon it's mechanical, or electrical, but not software.

It happened after the service and software update - it was immediately noticeable on the drive home from service so I have to believe it has something to do with it. I have driven the car daily for 2 years and am very familiar with its sounds and character - it totally changed after that service.

Found this thread that seems to indicate similar issues after work at the dealer, although it doesn't reference the K903 update obviously:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...update-147714/

Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
What is the ETA on the 2017's?
i got one coming 3/25...i might be one of the first in the US

Old 03-08-2016, 02:09 AM

I have the same problem understanding why my car Is different to other cars with the same flash I've questioned this with the dealers and they have no idea.
I keep telling them that my car has to have a fault as there is no other reason for it to be different.
Same files same fuelling same engine ecu so shouldn't have any problems all I can say is ek993 sadly mine is even quieter the more they mess with it it now only makes over run sounds at high Rev and under 30 mph.
I was told I would get a call from JLR yesterday but yet still no call very disappointed in them.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Couple of Q's:

As part of the service, are the air filters are changed?
If these were not seated correctly or perhaps more restrictive than the originals, it would affect the mixture and the ECU would adapt perhaps muting the pops and bangs on overrun?

Is the K309 a result of the engineered pops and bangs shortening the life of the O2 sensors?

..or is this a more sinister scenario like the VW emissions affair?