F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine sounded fantastic sometimes even to much in built up areas the salesman told us that the exhaust start to really get deeper at around 2k miles and it did.
The last time it popped was when I took it in for the pump noise now only pops when you Rev it static never when moving anymore.
Not even on paddles driving like a dic# head.
Driving hard up to 135 mph and using engine braking to slow down again nothing not even a rumble or crackle never mind pop with the bottom formally known as the noisy button on

Old 01-25-2016, 05:06 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

You should try pulling the active exhaust fuse. It sounds like the vacuum pump is keeping it continuously closed (open? I can't remember which state is which.) Pulling the fuse allegedly keeps it loud all the time.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 PM

The flaps do work as you can see them open when there switch on the pops are caused from injecting a small amount of fuel into the cylinder when the exhaust valves are open.
We us to do it in the race engines to help cool the valves down during a race.
As for the crackling and rumbles I'm not sure

Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Richv8s
I'd be happy to try and video it at the weekend as long as the weathers OK to get it out to play.
I'm no longer enjoy driving he car as I no its not right and it really upsets me to think it's not going to get fixed and stuck with a problem they don't want to fix its a lot of money not to enjoy but no longer feel happy with it the way it is.
If you look on the jaguar uk Facebook page there are quite a few complaints about problems on cars that they just fob us off with.
Consider having VMax do a tune for you. He could probably identify what they did that reduced the sound, and reverse that change. (and could simultaneously add a whole bunch of horses). My V6S actually got louder with more pronounced popping and crackling after the VMax tune.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Could this be a non US issue?

Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
Could this be a non US issue?
Could be the British regulators decided the car exceeds the legal noise limits.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Consider having VMax do a tune for you. He could probably identify what they did that reduced the sound, and reverse that change. (and could simultaneously add a whole bunch of horses). My V6S actually got louder with more pronounced popping and crackling after the VMax tune.
VMax should just advertise that! That would be worth it even without the HP gain!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I know the OP is in the UK, but has anyone here in the States experienced a similar situation?

I'm so close to closing a deal on a
type r, but if this is a foreshadow of what's to come here, I'll certainly reconsider! As others have noted, the exterior and sound of this Jag is what brought me here thus far

Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Sorry to hear about your "displeasure" and hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

The way you phrased your OP, I would say while we all (except you, now) love the sounds of our V6's and V8's, anyone who buys a car JUST for the sound is like marrying someone just for their looks. It's very likely bound to go wrong.

Again, I wish you luck!

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 01-26-2016, 02:40 PM

I haven't asked the question if the update is uk Only yet but I will I have yet another meeting on Thursday now.
I am going to email JLR again asking them to confirm that the update has caused the problem and why it was done.
Also as soon as I get the letter back I'll post a copy of it on here too.

Last edited by Richv8s; 01-26-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

FWIW - I haven't heard of another case of an F-Type this side of the pond or in the US that has been too quiet, quite the contrary!

I wonder, if the flaps and vacuum system is all good that there may be a blockage or something odd in your particular exhaust system?

Good luck with JLR; They are tough nuts to crack, and even tougher to find anyone who is technically competent. Should be easy at your dealer to do a side by side comparison with another car, and if it doesn't sound the same, then it's time to reject the goods I'm afraid.

I sincerely hope you get some resolution, and keep us updated.

The following users liked this post:
Richv8s (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 PM

I've done and tried to reject the car but as they say it's fit for purpose I have no rights to reject it.
They changed the exhaust (so I'm told) no change I really can't remember everything they have done but will ask for a list when I go there on Thursday.
Like I said they have told me that they will all sound like mine and mine is no different to any other that has had the update and even said the new models are even quieter than mine (which I find hard to believe)
I drove another and found it a lot better than mine on the over run side still been able to make it crack pop and all that on demand even the service manager drove mine with me then tested another the next day said it was different but now they are back tracking on that.
All I get told is there is nothing they can do to improve the exhaust note and that is now running the latest software to improve reliability of the cars.
And that all there cars will sound the same after the update is carried out.

Last edited by Richv8s; 01-26-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Unfortunately cars these days are a computer on wheels. And since the exhaust pops were computer generated so to speak, they can take them away anytime should there be a government change in allowed decibels. Undoing the update may not even be possible, look at iPhone updates, I don't believe it is possible to go back to an earlier ios, once it's updated. You may have to find an independent Jaguar shop that could put them back if the dealer won't do it. I am sure UK and EU decibel regulations for cars are much more stringent than in the USA. I would be pissed too, this could hurt Jaguar F sales if the 2017's are quieted down.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:44 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The sound is definitely the part of the raw, brutal, "Mr. Hyde" personality I preferred over a V8 Vantage. If that got taken away I'd be pretty upset.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM

Part of the letter which came to me today I'm happy to show more but I'm due to go back to work

Attached Thumbnails Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?-image.jpeg  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Jaguar giveth and Jaguar taketh away.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

On the one hand, I'd look at trading it in to the dealer, and make it clear to them that they can't give you less based on the sound.

On the other hand, I can't see any way you'd buy another Jag.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Even if folks don't plan to tune their cars, it may behoove them to pull a copy of their OEM tune in case Jaguar pulls a similar boneheaded move on them.

VMax, another business opportunity for you!
Rich, I suspect that VMax could put the roar back in your kitty.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

What's really interesting there is that it sounds like they don't know what the issue is and aren't willing to do any serious investigation.

I'd consider making this a much bigger deal for them. Get on every auto blog possible. Contact every consumer affairs bureau available to you. Email the head of Jaguar UK.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

This thread has made me wonder how many people have had their cars in for the "O2 sensor update" reflash yet...

Anyone report back on any changes after this takes place?