F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The week before Xmas the car went in and was hooked back to JLR to restore the factory setting I was called on the Thursday to say it was complet and successful.
Then first thing Friday morning I was called to say upon test drive by the manager the eml came back on and code for o2 sensor had come on and they were waiting for JLR to tell them what to do next.
I then got the car back almost a week later fitted with the new o2 sensor they delivered the car back to me we were standing outside and never even heard the car come back the first we new was when the driver walked through the gate.
From there after a week of calls they had returned the ecu to back to how it was.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Richv8s
The week before Xmas the car went in and was hooked back to JLR to restore the factory setting I was called on the Thursday to say it was complet and successful.
Then first thing Friday morning I was called to say upon test drive by the manager the eml came back on and code for o2 sensor had come on and they were waiting for JLR to tell them what to do next.
I then got the car back almost a week later fitted with the new o2 sensor they delivered the car back to me we were standing outside and never even heard the car come back the first we new was when the driver walked through the gate.
From there after a week of calls they had returned the ecu to back to how it was.
I am trying understand the sequence of what happened:
1. Sometime last year, you were getting an eml.
2. They determined it needed the 309 update flash.
3. They flashed and your sound went away
4. You took the car back just before Christmas to have the factory flash put back on.
5. The eml came on during the test drive (Did the sound come back??)
6. JLR replaced the O2 sensor (Did they put the 309 flash back on ??)
7. EML light is now off and sound is gone.
8. They returned it to how it was, when (original, upgrade flash)?
The last couple of steps need clarification? Answering the 3 questions above might shed some insight.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-03-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I too am having difficulty following...

Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default O2 Sensors

I've been having O2 issues as well (all this happened within first 1600 miles). Brought car into service when CEL came on. I was told it was a recall issue which they allegedly fixed and sent me on my way. Following week CEL came on again. They said this time they had to replace the O2 sensor. CEL light came on a month later. I brought it in and they said they were getting the same code for O2 sensor and wanted it for a few solid days to diagnose and involve higher level techs. The service manager explained to me there were a few O2 sensors and they only replaced one. I schedule the appointment but the CEL went off on it's own. It just came on again yesterday (3 weeks later). It's going in the shop on Monday. No loss of power, same snorts and pops as always. Not sure if they've already done the K309 (I'll be sure to ask). I'd be pressing them to take the car back if I hadn't already dumped $4500 into Xpel.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Sound. ....

I'm sure sound is a big factor but not the sole reason when deciding on the V8 S/C motor. Lets be honest, the sound is intoxicating.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I love the sound. However, I can't say I've ever felt like a bigger jackass than a couple of nights ago when I pulled into the parking garage of my condo with the V8 roaring and promptly woke the homeless man sleeping in a corner to try to avoid the cold.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned
Default OUCH ... !

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I love the sound. However, I can't say I've ever felt like a bigger jackass than a couple of nights ago when I pulled into the parking garage of my condo with the V8 roaring and promptly woke the homeless man sleeping in a corner to try to avoid the cold.
I already know, if I'm ever rolling home very late into the night, once I get to my neighbourhood street area, hit that button to silence the crazy exhaust .

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
I already know, if I'm ever rolling home very late into the night, once I get to my neighbourhood street area, hit that button to silence the crazy exhaust .
+1. I even do that midday.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
When I get off the highway heading home I make sure that the baffles are open. I always grab the paddles and make sure that it stays in second up the hill, and in first from the 2 four-way stops. I want to make sure that my neighbors know that I'm home. I'm such a d**k!

The following users liked this post:
Kief (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Banned
Default LMAO ....

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
When I get off the highway heading home I make sure that the baffles are open. I always grab the paddles and make sure that it stays in second up the hill, and in first from the 2 four-way stops. I want to make sure that my neighbors know that I'm home. I'm such a d**k!
I don't know if your joking or serious but if what you say is true, don't be shocked when you discover you nice car had a key scratch on the paint . People can ve very vindictive.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Ok step one.
Car made a buzzing noise from left rear diagnosed vacuum pump for exhaust valves = no eml light
2 complain exhaust sound now gone on over run
Back and forth for months to get sound back including fitting the pump back on
New throttle body fitted replaced vacuum pipes on engine ,noise amplifier for inside the car (which I never new it had)
Exhaust swaped of another car to test
Other things that they changed I can't remember.
The last time it went in they were putting in the factory flash back in and I was told it's all back to popping and everything but to be honest they told me this every time they brought it back.
I never got it back in this state as I was told the day they were bringing it back the eml light had come on (this was the first and only time it had come on and wasn't witnessed by me)
Then they replaced the o2 sensor and brought it back for me to find out it was still the same no noise.
I will post a video/sound track from when I brought it and one of it now at the weekend weather permitting

Old 02-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

New throttle body fitted replaced vacuum pipes on engine ,noise amplifier for inside the car (which I never new it had)
It doesn't.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 PM

I glad you replied to that one as I questioned that myself.
I now going back with the car for the manager to test drive on Monday I'm going to ask for a full list of what's been done as I feel like they are just taking the p#%s

The master tec told me that it was to amplify the exhaust sound into the cab

Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

The master tec told me that it was to amplify the exhaust sound into the cab
A number of manufacturers, including Cadillac do this, but this is the first time I have heard of this on the F-Type.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Rich,

Have you dealt with more than one service department? I'm starting to wonder if your local dealership is either wildly incompetent or just trying to make you go away.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I can't think of any reason why you would need to amplify the sound into the cabin of an F Type. Even with the top and windows up, I can hear it just fine.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A number of manufacturers, including Cadillac do this, but this is the first time I have heard of this on the F-Type.
Yes, Ford give theirs the lovely name of a "sound symposer"

Last edited by CaptainHam; 02-04-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM

I haven't gone to any other service center I go to the one I brought the car from and that they are in contact with JLR directly + I have had to deal with there very poor customer relations department.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Yes, Ford give theirs the lovely name of a "sound symposer"
Ye that's what they called it couldn't remember the proper name just what it did and Ye sound symposer!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM

If I were you I'd be taking the car around for second or third opinions.