Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has ordered the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
If it were going to the west coast, you could watch webcams of it traversing the Panama Canal. A bit boring in realtime.
Observing a pentagon traversing a map of the Celtic Sea at 20 kts isn't that stimulating either.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

My impression was that guy wasn't very proficient with his shifts, all of which were slow and lazy, perhaps because he spilled his coffee. That's where a shorter-throw shifter may improve this car significantly.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Observing a pentagon traversing a map of the Celtic Sea at 20 kts isn't that stimulating either.
Been there and done that several times before, when I tracked my German cars from Bremerhaven.
Except, that was a longer voyage, and it would be tortuous waiting for the ship to pull up anchor at the various ports along the way...
(sitting there watching it say 0 kts was the true test of my patience...).

Now I'm hoping to make it onto the TOSCA, sailing out on the 30th... fingers crossed.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
My impression was that guy wasn't very proficient with his shifts, all of which were slow and lazy, perhaps because he spilled his coffee. That's where a shorter-throw shifter may improve this car significantly.
Agreed. No power shifts, no double clutching to speed match. My concern is the engine may not respond quickly enough to throttle blips.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

The coffee was a mistake from the beginning. I took the center cup holders out of my current car: without the cup holder insert, the center storage becomes usable. Also, no food or drink in the car. I had a Saab shop years back, and the ignition switch between the seats catches spillage all too well, and I've seen too many French fries under the seats to allow that in a car of mine.

Agreed. No power shifts, no double clutching to speed match. My concern is the engine may not respond quickly enough to throttle blips.
I remapped the throttle-by-wire on my previous car (pedal angle vs. requested power). Fortunately, there is a good open source software tool for it. Unfortunately, it is not universally applicable. Isn't this one of the adjustments made in dynamic mode? I wonder how much difference the settings make.

I suppose that until one shows up for a member here we'll continue speculating.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't think that will be a problem at all. This thing spins up quicker than any engine I've ever had, particularly in dynamic mode.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think that will be a problem at all. This thing spins up quicker than any engine I've ever had, particularly in dynamic mode.
Excellent! I've never been satisfied with the "spin-up" response on any street driven car I've had.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:51 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Right then! Mine seems to have arrived at Southampton on Wednesday, and will be sailing with the Torino to Brunswick, Georgia.

Torino Information

I should have my car on July 24th. The day I get back from a 3 week business trip to the UK.

Orkney

Old 06-19-2015, 09:28 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I'd put some of that down to the 8-speed transmission. Will be interesting to hear how the 6-speed compares.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I'm not sure we need two threads running on basically the same subject, so i'm merging this one into the main six-speed thread.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Oh and on-subject, it would appear that the six-speed has a dual-mass flywheel...

Who has ordered the 6 speed?-cg13007.jpg

Who has ordered the 6 speed?-cg13008.jpg

I've not heard great things about DMF's....

Old 06-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Orkney
Right then! Mine seems to have arrived at Southampton on Wednesday, and will be sailing with the Torino to Brunswick, Georgia.
I think mine will be on the same ship (the Torino) -- since it's going to Halifax and it's the first ship to sail out since I got my VIN earlier this week. Leaves Southampton on June 21st. So, I suppose that means I should stop checking the WW site until after Monday

Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Oh and on-subject, it would appear that the six-speed has a dual-mass flywheel...

Attachment 114170

Attachment 114171

I've not heard great things about DMF's....
I could be mistaken, but most, including the C7 Corvette, cars these days are dual mass. It's easier to drive, smoother, quiter, etc. They're not a big deal. I think the fear/reputation is one of those leftover fables from the "good ole' days" like ABS and independent rear suspension. Maybe the 89 RX7 didn't have one, but every other car, about 6 others, I've owned was DMF. In fact I swapped the one in the TT for a single mass lightweight and it messed everything up, at least in normal driving. Couldn't launch and clunky. Revved mad once going, though. But that's a different story altogether.

Last edited by MagnumPI; 06-19-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh, BTW, got a delivery date of 8/7.

Last edited by MagnumPI; 06-19-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I think mine will be on the same ship (the Torino) -- since it's going to Halifax and it's the first ship to sail out since I got my VIN earlier this week. Leaves Southampton on June 21st. So, I suppose that means I should stop checking the WW site until after Monday
Well, it depends. A VIN just means a frame on the line is stamped and matched to your order. Car has to be built, pass QC, loaded on the train to Southampton and make it on to a ship. June 21 is cutting it close. Bug your dealer/sales manager for more clarity on the order.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

If it's on the Torino, you should be able to confirm that on the Wallenius site today. In my case, once I had the VIN, it took a week to 10 days before it was at the dock and booked. Booking seems to be done 2 or 3 days out.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck, hope you make it for the Torino, my 6sp is likely going to be on the Tosca (a week behind).

Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo

This is certainly disappointing. And explains the clutch slipping experienced under heavy throttle in the early media cars. Until standard flywheel replacement kits are available in the aftermarket, there can be no significant engine tuning on a 6 speed F-Type.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I've just heard that my ETA is August 7. It will be the first manual transmission car for them, and so far, only one. They're had no other orders or requests. I wasn't expecting a flood of orders, but it makes me wonder if they'll continue producing them after 2016.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I've just heard that my ETA is August 7. It will be the first manual transmission car for them, and so far, only one. They're had no other orders or requests. I wasn't expecting a flood of orders, but it makes me wonder if they'll continue producing them after 2016.
That's pretty much the General consensus with majority if not all the orders on here. The general public doesn't want to wait for a special order, not to mention not being able to test drive a manual transmission since no dealer wants to order it.

My dealer is the same as well, I have been the only one who has actually gone through with placing the order so far. They have had only a handful of people interested, and I'm still the only one.

Quick Reply: Who has ordered the 6 speed?