F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has ordered the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Like you I also thought about the S. In my mind I couldn't justify the price difference based on my driving needs and wants. Always up for higher performance but finding has a limit. I bet in the future the S will become the base. Really looking forward to getting it.
That was my thought process exactly. Ultimately, the low end torque is the same on the base vs. the S -- so the extra HP is only valuable at higher speeds. Given that they added more features as standard to each trim, I was actually ok with the Base and the dealer (surprisingly) agreed with my analysis (although, they probably could see which way I was leaning).

Funny -- your VIN is 19 before mine. Go to the ww site:

Home

Put the VIN into the field on the "tracking" tab under "Cargo ID". Let us know if yours is visible -- it'll help to ease our own neurotic tendency to check every 30 seconds....

The following users liked this post:
99Gsp (07-03-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Go to the ww site:

Home

Put the VIN into the field on the "tracking" tab under "Cargo ID". Let us know if yours is visible -- it'll help to ease our own neurotic tendency to check every 30 seconds....
99Gsp, welcome to the forum. You are officially the 11th person here who has ordered the 6 speed. After you've been to the Wallenius site to determine the ship your car is on, you can track that ship at www.marinetraffic.com. This tracking system only works about a couple hundred miles offshore, so you'll lose track for a few days as it crosses open ocean.

99Gsp (07-03-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the tracking tip. No record found when I tracked.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Thanks for the tracking tip. No record found when I tracked.
Looks like a bunch of us will be loaded on to the vessel The Tosca for a June 30th departure.....

Old 06-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

New to site, but have been following for a month or so. Ordered (Toronto, Canada) May 4th a base model, 6-speed, premium with vision, ammonite grey, no ETA yet, but supposedly Aug built (dealership used one of their allocation) and Sept delivery in theory.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Atlantic Cartier in Haifax in a few hours

Attached Thumbnails Who has ordered the 6 speed?-image.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teacoff
New to site, but have been following for a month or so. Ordered (Toronto, Canada) May 4th a base model, 6-speed, premium with vision, ammonite grey, no ETA yet, but supposedly Aug built (dealership used one of their allocation) and Sept delivery in theory.
Welcome. The third Torontonian to have a 6sp on order.
I put my order in on May 1st, and the car will hopefully be on the ship next week. Which dealer are you ordering your car from?

Old 06-25-2015, 05:07 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NavMD
You manual guys must not drive on the DVP very much....

Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by DuhCar
You manual guys must not drive on the DVP very much....
Every 401/400 traffic mess I sit in is easily offset by every glorious moment spent on the 407.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

If you've been around long enough to have "high-mileage" and have been driving manuals for decades, shifting is a reflex much like blinking. You essentially don't realize you're doing it. Working the clutch in stop-and-go traffic is no more bothersome than constantly massaging the throttle pedal.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If you've been around long enough to have "high-mileage" and have been driving manuals for decades, shifting is a reflex much like blinking. You essentially don't realize you're doing it. Working the clutch in stop-and-go traffic is no more bothersome than constantly massaging the throttle pedal.
This.
Have been driving MT for 6 years. Actually prefer it in traffic

Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

+1. Shifting, I think, actually helps to relieve the boredom in traffic.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
+1. Shifting, I think, actually helps to relieve the boredom in traffic.
Funny thing is for me now that reflex has transferred to paddle shifting after using it almost exclusively in my F-Type. When I'm in my new Jeep in stop-and-go traffic, which happens to have a 9-speed version of the ZF auto, I'm constantly reaching for paddles that don't exist.

Using the paddles in the F-Type is also a good cure for gridlock boredom associated with constant starts and stops.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-25-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM

Funny thing is for me now that reflex has transferred to paddle shifting after using it almost exclusively in my F-Type. When I'm in my new Jeep in stop-and-go traffic, which happens to have a 9-speed version of the ZF auto, I'm constantly reaching for paddles that don't exist.

Using the paddles in the F-Type is also a good cure for gridlock boredom associated with constant starts and stops.
It's definitely better than not doing anything, but for me, there's nothing like slipping the shifter into 2nd, then 3rd... especially after winding the engine up.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

+1

I couldn't possibly agree more! I'm a die-hard manual guy, but I bought the F-Type anyway at a time when no manual was on the horizon. It's the only automatic I've ever found "acceptable." However, I will more than likely sell my current one at some point and pick up a manual F-Type.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:54 PM

To answer your question NavMD, I ordered mine from the Steeles and Yonge location. And you?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Just an update on my build. 8070 came out of trim on June 16 and now is in post build inspection. For others with vins around mine that might be of interest. Wish I could get a pic of it waiting to ship!

bb_sam (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by NavMD
I put my order in on May 1st, and the car will hopefully be on the ship next week. Which dealer are you ordering your car from?
Re-posting, as I realized I had not replied to your specific posting. To answer your question, I ordered mine from the Steeles and Yonge location. And you?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by teacoff
Re-posting, as I realized I had not replied to your specific posting. To answer your question, I ordered mine from the Steeles and Yonge location. And you?
Ordered mine from Budds in Oakville. So far, they've treated me well.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Not quite so, clutch can be more "bothersome" than accelerator. I'm older now and have been driving stick shifts all my life. Two of my four current cars are manual trannys. I still have my first car, a 1965 Triumph TR-4.

As much as I love to drive a manual, where I am fully in control of the engine, there are two driving situations where I really don't want a stick, especially not an older guy like me. First, in heavy stop-and-go traffic, as referred to by DuhCar. One time stuck on a CA freeway in S&G traffic, my wife was at the wheel and it was hot too. After 45 minutes of creepalong, she was literally crying that she couldn't hold the clutch in any longer being at the end of her physical endurance. We didn't think it safe for me to switch with her, so I suggested she put the car in neutral and apply the hand brake, and let a few car lengths open between us and the car ahead, so she could rest her leg, before she engaged it again. That just wasn't fun at all. Second, on a 4-wheel mountain track road. They can be so rough and bouncy that you can hardly keep your foot in place, or slip the clutch when needed without coming off the pedal. It's much better to have an automatic for those "drives"? Just pout it in first gear and let it idle along.

I think you have to evaluate a manual transmission in the car to fully evaluate it. I recently test drove an Aston Martin Vantage V8. There is no way I would want to drive that car in rush hour traffic; clutch engagement is much to stiff, tiresome, and physically taxing. Almost the same for the Porsche Cayman. Whereas my BMW 328i manual is a joy to drive anywhere, but not on a 4-wheel mountain track of course. And I do have to think about my wife.

When I test drove the F-Type, Wow! Total agreement with you Foosh, finest automatic I have ever driven. But not in agreement with you on this post. And I didn't want to order a manual F-Type without test driving it. But yeah if it is a good one, I may consider one in the future.

Quick Reply: Who has ordered the 6 speed?