F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
You found the 911 S quicker than the Jag? Must be the Jaguar 6 cylinder model because I know my R is faster than the 911 S, not only from driving one (owning one) but also the listed 0-60 listed times on each. I have to say I love the Jaguar look but the 911 is still a timeless piece to me.
Yes I have the V6S. I was exclusively looking for a manual vehicle hence the cross shopping of the Porsche/Jag. I also rented an M4, more wild and out of control than either of the above, but just didn't feel special to me.

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Yeah, "ugly" never dates!
Yeah. I never liked the style at all until I drove one. Its kind of like your first beer. Blech! But eventually we end up intoxicated, and that's all she wrote.

Uncle Fishbits (12-09-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral
Yeah. I never liked the style at all until I drove one. Its kind of like your first beer. Blech! But eventually we end up intoxicated, and that's all she wrote.
Yeah, I'm sure they look better when you can't see the outside!
That's the only downside of the F-Type - you're the only one who can't admire the beauty of it when you're driving.

J444G (12-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved from a 911 Turbo to an F-Type. The F-Type is fun, but I will be moving back to a 911.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Logero
I moved from a 911 Turbo to an F-Type. The F-Type is fun, but I will be moving back to a 911.

I am hoping that isn't my case but just got a used but only 11k mileage R model and after 2 weeks in the shop for a leaking differential. This is something the dealer should have caught and will still cover the cost but not how I wanted to start my F Type ownership. Bright side it is covered by the dealer that sold me the car so there is a positive for sure. When I told the service manager to make sure they don't wash it due to ceramic coating he didn't make me confident it would happen. When he told me they won't even look at it until tomorrow bothered me again. I said then why do I have an appointment set for today? He said they are 25 behind from the day prior which again sad to say isn't my problem. Told him I was already regretting not going with Porsche again. He said he worked for Porsche and they make solid cars. Didn't help my thinking at that point! I am hopeful this is isolated and things will improve with my ownership. Still want another Porsche in my stable regardless.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:59 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I am hoping that isn't my case but just got a used but only 11k mileage R model and after 2 weeks in the shop for a leaking differential. This is something the dealer should have caught and will still cover the cost but not how I wanted to start my F Type ownership. Bright side it is covered by the dealer that sold me the car so there is a positive for sure. When I told the service manager to make sure they don't wash it due to ceramic coating he didn't make me confident it would happen. When he told me they won't even look at it until tomorrow bothered me again. I said then why do I have an appointment set for today? He said they are 25 behind from the day prior which again sad to say isn't my problem. Told him I was already regretting not going with Porsche again. He said he worked for Porsche and they make solid cars. Didn't help my thinking at that point! I am hopeful this is isolated and things will improve with my ownership. Still want another Porsche in my stable regardless.
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Sadly, I don't think it is terribly unique. My F-type has had the rear diff replaced, and I've had to replace the AJ133. The diff a previous owner replaced with a used one and the engine, I did the same. In defense of my car, if I had been more alert, I could have probably saved the motor. I was distracted following an M5 through some twisty bits and didn't notice the low coolant, extreme heat warning until it was too late. I had some soul searching to do after blowing a motor out of warranty. I concluded that I couldn't afford a car that I wanted more than my F-Type, so I bit the bullet on a used engine. So far, so good after that incident.

I bought this car knowing that I would spend plenty of time troubleshooting issues and I'd anticipated that I'd be doing my own maint to save money. I knew, potentially, it could cost me some cash. So far, however, its been a rewarding experience. I've learned a lot about the car, its quirks, etc. Hell, I can unscrew 256 screws to drop the undertray in 10 minutes. That said, I realize F-type ownership isn't for everyone and I would completely understand if you had second thoughts. But the F-type has a unique personality, and if it speaks to you, you'll rarely pass another car in envy.

Just 2 cents.

Last edited by ferrral; 12-08-2020 at 10:05 PM.
takeapieandrun (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 10:13 PM

I agree Ferral. It seems like the F Type has a few 'quirks' that need attention. It's perhaps more suited to someone who will go the extra mile to take care of their car as a project of passion, and simultaneously deal with those things that go wrong.

ferrral (12-08-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved from a Boxster (had 3 boxsters) to the F. Gorgeous and very "animal" car. i really love it, and can't stop looking at it. But the quality isn't so nice, and i must confess i don't trust the F as much as i trusted my boxsters. A lot of minor (or major) problems, and a dealer aftermarket politic that isn't at the level of a car of that price.
Had to change my water pump, my 2 flooded roof motors, and just waiting to see what will be next...
i kept my Cayenne, and won't go elsewhere if i have to change it

Old 12-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

In my life, I've never, ever, EVER seen the "je ne sais quoi" that this car possesses. Everyone says the M series or Porsche are better engineered car, but throw that out the window for fun and passion. It's amazing to see time and time again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
ferrral (12-09-2020), scm (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
In my life, I've never, ever, EVER seen the "je ne sais quoi" that this car possesses. Everyone says the M series or Porsche are better engineered car, but throw that out the window for fun and passion. It's amazing to see time and time again.
agree 300%. Never a car gave me such exciting moments and feelings, just in cruising.
and the sound... no other else can be rival...

Old 12-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Hades_357
I moved from a Boxster (had 3 boxsters) to the F. Gorgeous and very "animal" car. i really love it, and can't stop looking at it. But the quality isn't so nice, and i must confess i don't trust the F as much as i trusted my boxsters. A lot of minor (or major) problems, and a dealer aftermarket politic that isn't at the level of a car of that price.
Had to change my water pump, my 2 flooded roof motors, and just waiting to see what will be next...
i kept my Cayenne, and won't go elsewhere if i have to change it

Well my new to me R just got back from the dealer fixing the leaking rear differential after 2 weeks of ownership. Thankfully the dealer I bought covered the cost but the service advisor at the local Jag dealer said he came from Porsche and said if I didn't already have an extended warranty told me he would strongly suggest one as this brand tends to be more "finicky" thank Porsche and a warranty is necessary.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Enjoyed reading all of the comments...And coming from 20 + Porsches and having a Cayenne S, 997 TT, and Boxster S, I can offer a perspective here as well. An honest one.

After my last addition to the garage (911 Twin Turbo + $30K in mods), I felt I was set on cars, and the 911TT was/is awesome. My wife (yes true ) suggested I look for some new car I may like...I said "No...I am good on cars, but thanks"...But then I started looking. Nothing particular at first, but a person I work with just got a new Aston Martin DBS Superleggera, and I thought...wow, that is a pretty car...And it is...Then I started pricing them as a 5th or 6th car to drive occasionally for fun...ummm a bit pricey. As I was looking at pictures, the F-Type popped up...After looking at the specs, design (and designer), and the prices, I drove up to Chicago and went to a Jaguar dealer to take a "look". I drove back in the F-Type R, and really love it. Now my wife technically has the Cayenne S...And while I was paying for the F-Type, she sat in an F-Pace SVR they had on the floor...And I almost came home with two cars...Thankfully, someone had to drive the 911 Turbo back

So...Comparison and looking at previous comments. I find the car to be one of the prettiest cars out there, and the sound on the R is amazing. After many mods, the performance is getting to the 911 Turbo realm also. Build quality is very good, BUT NOT to the level of Porsche (close). The panel fitment is again, not where Porsche is. Materials are pretty comparable, and tech is about the same (Porsche not known for awesome tech either).

I have seen the issues that have popped up on these Jaguars, and while disappointing in some cases, they are not alone in the car world. Porsche for example had a number of Catastrophic failures in the 996/986 (M.96engine) era with faulty/failing IMS and RMS bearings. Many 996/986's also suffered from billowing smoke from the AOS failures. On the 997/987, similar issues, though not as frequent. On the 997 Turbos, VarioCam sleeves will move and prevent the oil from adjusting the cam angle...but can be fixed for a mere $8,000. The glue on the coolant pipes fails and spews coolant on the rear (drive) tires and can cause serious accidents...and a ~$2000 repair bill. Tiptronic transmission develops oil leaks in the electronic connectors...Cayennes have plastic coolant pipe failures and Transfer Case failures (only $4000 to fix). None of these repairs are cheap!

My point is that many high end (Porsche specifically, since it is referenced here) cars have various issues, because they are not Corollas, and are pushed to perform and delight the owners...and you will have more issues. I have a ton of Porsche experience and ownership and can say they have their share of issues as well, but are still awesome cars. This is my first Jaguar, and I can see it in a similar vein.

Porsche build quality is a little better(way better in some areas), and they are great cars, but not without issues. Jaguar has a history/brand of very sketchy reliability, but appears they have addressed that, but not to perfection.

Just an opinion, and observations from a Loooong time Porsche enthusiast, who now has a Jaguar...And yes, if the Jaguar blows up on me, I will eat my words Hoping not, but life is a journey!

DC

DJS (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I am more of a looks guy, and while there is a porsche in our garage it is the ugly duckling compared to the F-Type. The Panamera is a great car, almost as fast as the jag, but to me most Porsches look like a VW bug with a birth defect. Are they great cars? You bet, I just cant get past the looks, the wife is happy, so I am happy. 🤣 I am no brand snob either, I would love to have a Kia Stinger or a Telluride in the stable.

Last edited by 19FRG; 12-10-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
The panel fitment is again, not where Porsche is.
Well, they have had 50 years to get it right, Jaguar only about 7 for the F-Type ...

Old 12-10-2020, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 19FRG
I am more of a looks guy, and while there is a porsche in our garage it is the ugly duckling compared to the F-Type. The Panamera is a great car, almost as fast as the jag, but to me most Porsches look like a VW bug with a birth defect. Are they great cars? You bet, I just can't get past the looks, the wife is happy, so I am happy. 🤣 I am no brand snob either, I would love to have a Kia Stinger or a Telluride in the stable.
I agree in most cases with you...I contemplated and wanted to like the Panamera, but that back end ...I just could not get past it. I think my 911 Turbo, and the GT3 I had are good looking, but everyone has their own taste! for sure. I would even agree that the 911 from some angles looks like a smooshed VW bug...And the new 992 is pretty awful IMO...I also decided to get the Porsche designed/engineered Harley Davidson VROD...I think it looks pretty good as well...But again, some may love it and some may not, and that's great!

DC

Old 12-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Well, they have had 50 years to get it right, Jaguar only about 7 for the F-Type ...
Agree...And it is still not perfect....but very good

Old 12-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
I agree in most cases with you...I contemplated and wanted to like the Panamera, but that back end ...I just could not get past it. I think my 911 Turbo, and the GT3 I had are good looking, but everyone has their own taste! for sure. I would even agree that the 911 from some angles looks like a smooshed VW bug...And the new 992 is pretty awful IMO...I also decided to get the Porsche designed/engineered Harley Davidson VROD...I think it looks pretty good as well...But again, some may love it and some may not, and that's great!

DC

l liked the vrod, but it felt small to me . So being the rebel I am I went with a victory Jackpot. Too bad they killed themselves because of Indian, but hey it will be worth big money when im 250 years old. 🤣

Old 12-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Every car has some that are more trouble then the model in general. Sometimes it was made on a Mon. morning or in the case of Maserati made after a 2 hour lunch with wine. Our '17 Ghibli is a no problem car so must have been made on a mid week morning!

19FRG (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Every car has some that are more trouble then the model in general. Sometimes it was made on a Mon. morning or in the case of Maserati made after a 2 hour lunch with wine. Our '17 Ghibli is a no problem car so must have been made on a mid week morning!
That is one beautiful car IMO. I saw one go across mecum auction in a gorgeous dark cherry paint on tv. It went for like 7k or something ridiculous. I would have snapped it up if there. I know they get a bad rap sometimes, but damn thats a sexy car. It was actually a 2007 quattroporte with 36k miles.

Last edited by 19FRG; 12-10-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:41 AM

My neighbor who has since moved away swapped his '96 Carrera 4S for a Maserati Gran Turismo. Both were ~70K about 3-4 years ago when he did it. Sacrilegious if you ask me.. but he said he was getting older and none of his daughters knew how to drive stick.

Quick Reply: Who moved from a porsche to a f type?