F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
cheers for the thoughts, was your 911 a manual?
yes - manual

Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I moved from a Cayman S to the R and have been smiling ever since. The only thing that the Cayman did better was really twisty roads, which I almost never get to do. Even when I do, the speed limit is such that the R performs just as well. I did not have legendary quality in my Porsche and I have also had a couple of warranty issues in my Jag. The Jag is a far better GT car. The power and roar are the real smile factors. Finally, the Jag is just beautiful to look at, could never say that about a Porsche.

Larry

Thanks for sharing. I am not a huge twisty road kind of guy, too risk averse to really push it. I find I enjoy some good acceleration and associated sound better. This explains why I moved to a crossfire from a 350Z back in the day. The 350Z was a technically better sportscar in the twisties, but the crossfire had a much smoother better sounding engine with immediate low end torque. I never looked back really or missed the handling superiority of the 350Z.

What does make me wonder bout the jag is it bigger size and more compromised visbility. I really disliked those aspects of the C7 I briefly owned...takes away from the enjoyment of a car big time for me. I also fear I will miss the driving engagement of a true manual...

Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I am not a huge twisty road kind of guy, too risk averse to really push it. I find I enjoy some good acceleration and associated sound better.
Take this logic to an extreme, and you’ll end up with a Hellcat.

I also fear I will miss the driving engagement of a true manual...
If that is a fear now, you will indeed miss it. If you still are looking towards an F-Type, you can always put a 450hp pulley/tune on a V6 MT.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My previous two cars were Caymans ('11, 14). Great cars - very fun, capable, and comfortable/reliable enough as a DD. The Cayman is a better pure sports car, but like others, I had few opportunities to take advantage of that. The F-Type is more entertaining, better looking, more comfortable, and a better value (you get more for your money). Have only had the car for a little over 4 months, so I can't really speak to reliability. So far, I love this car, and very happy I made the change!
This is also my first AT in 30 yrs, and I was worried that I would miss the 3rd pedal. The ZF8 is so good, I don't miss it one bit.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I had a C6 with an MT and I thought I would miss it; I do not. Paddle shifters are good enough when I want to take control. I also have the option of letting my wife drive.
I think 360 visibility is an elusive thing in a sports car, unless you have a drop top and it is down. Modern back-up cameras, along with the mirrors seem adequate but there are still blind spots. You just have to be more deliberate than in the big SUV. The Jag visibility is just fine going forward....

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

what was it about those first 100 metres?

I have not driven a ftype v8, but I suspect the sound and torque will draw me in...I actually bought a 2015 C7 thinking its torque and sound would do it for me, but I didn't like it in the end, it did sound good, but the throttle response was poor which took away from the sensation of gobs of low end torque.

A Vette is not F Type.

It is not a Jaaag.

Sure the sound is the best, response is excellent but take a look at the F.

A gawker told me this past weekend that the car looks so fine that it looks like it has not even been made yet.

The car is simply so beautiful. Vette, not so much, and its a Chevy....

Old 10-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't go through the whole thread, but came from a first year run of 911 991 Carrera S. As mentioned before, car is an absolute scalpel. Does whatever you want with insane precision, but as also said before, lacks soul or even more so, personality. The F-Type has gobs of it, and while you are a bit slower, you feel like you had a much better time! No regrets, no looking back. Way to go Jag!

Burt Gummer (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

haven't read the thread yet, but i came from a porsche cayman as well. i test drove the F-Type S and liked it, but didn't feel it was 'enough' for me to change from my cayman (quite a capable car)....but, then I test drove the 'R' and, oh my! that was the change I had been looking for!

now, certainly they are two completely different cars, I get that, but as much as i liked the cayman, it never gave me the thrills as the R does (every time i get in it). the raw power/horsepower, the noise, the sexy looks...all incredible. i had tracked my cayman quite a bit and have tracked my R as well 5-6 times, so far. Ok, the cayman is obviously a superior track machine...no question, but i've never had more fun at the track than with the R. The power takes some getting used to (cayman was always pedal to the floor), but that added some fun into my driving.

So..the 'S', I can't speak to that directly, but I can say if you ever test drive an R...get ready to get your wallet out!

lsbrodsky (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
haven't read the thread yet, but i came from a porsche cayman as well. i test drove the F-Type S and liked it, but didn't feel it was 'enough' for me to change from my cayman (quite a capable car)....but, then I test drove the 'R' and, oh my! that was the change I had been looking for!

now, certainly they are two completely different cars, I get that, but as much as i liked the cayman, it never gave me the thrills as the R does (every time i get in it). the raw power/horsepower, the noise, the sexy looks...all incredible. i had tracked my cayman quite a bit and have tracked my R as well 5-6 times, so far. Ok, the cayman is obviously a superior track machine...no question, but i've never had more fun at the track than with the R. The power takes some getting used to (cayman was always pedal to the floor), but that added some fun into my driving.

So..the 'S', I can't speak to that directly, but I can say if you ever test drive an R...get ready to get your wallet out!
yes i felt the same about the awd r (not the rwd r)
i would have one now except for the non manual thing....i do wonder about how much i will miss manual...

when i got my cayman i drove the pdk at the launch and i didnt even think for a second i would prefer it over a manual

Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

baege: The AT/MT debate has happened so many times in different places. One distinction I have gleaned from people who are staunch MT fans, is that if the car is going to just be a weekend, fun car, the added driver engagement of the 3rd pedal is more desirable. If the car is going to be a DD or tracked a lot, then the added benefits of being faster, able to deal with traffic, have others be able to drive the car, etc. makes a capable AT (PDK, ZF8, ...) a better choice. Again, this is such a personal choice, everybody has to decide for themselves. I NEVER thought I would have an AT until I was REALLY old. After driving the ZF8 in Dynamic mode, I was hooked, and have no regrets. Cheers!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trading my 911 in today for a F Type R. Looking forward to the change. I've owned 911s for the last 14 years.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

My 991 911 was a 7 speed manual, and I bought that car for the "pure" feeling of a manual RWD scalpel of a fast car. I am 39, and have had several manual AND dual clutch autos.. The dual clutch is lightning quick, but man what an awful gearbox for city driving. The Jag is kind of special to me with the auto and the flappy paddles because it really makes me feel like I am in an F1 car with the exhaust noise, power and grip. I think in this application, the auto really enhances the experience for me and I do not regret it one little bit. It is a daily driver, so my left leg is much more relaxed now haha. I also think that the noises made by the paddle shifting versus manual probably make it sound even better because of the engagement smoothness of the gear shifts.. Never driven nor heard the manual f-type, so I am guessing at this...

Old 10-05-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Breaker841
My 991 911 was a 7 speed manual, and I bought that car for the "pure" feeling of a manual RWD scalpel of a fast car. I am 39, and have had several manual AND dual clutch autos.. The dual clutch is lightning quick, but man what an awful gearbox for city driving. The Jag is kind of special to me with the auto and the flappy paddles because it really makes me feel like I am in an F1 car with the exhaust noise, power and grip. I think in this application, the auto really enhances the experience for me and I do not regret it one little bit. It is a daily driver, so my left leg is much more relaxed now haha. I also think that the noises made by the paddle shifting versus manual probably make it sound even better because of the engagement smoothness of the gear shifts.. Never driven nor heard the manual f-type, so I am guessing at this...
interesting pe​​​​​​rspective
its such a subjective thing
lots dont miss manual but lots do
which will i be?
could be an expensive gamble

i have to say i have yet to drive a car where i preferred paddles over manual where both were available

Old 10-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

interesting pe​​​​​​rspective
its such a subjective thing
lots dont miss manual but lots do
which will i be?
could be an expensive gamble

i have to say i have yet to drive a car where i preferred paddles over manual where both were available
I'm a manual lover but I knew right from the start that I wanted an auto (or PDK) this time around.....I really wanted the car to provide thrills when I wanted to play around but also to be relaxing on a road trip or in heavy traffic....I also wanted my wife to be able to drive the car so a manual was out of contention on that basis alone.

I figured that a new, modern, paddle shifted tranny would offer the best of both worlds and after a year and a half I have zero regrets - I find the F type ZF to be a ton of fun in dynamic mode shifting with the paddles and also to be mellow enough in full "grandma mode" to be relaxing for me and also not intimidating for my wife to drive.

The F type was always going to be a V8 for me so the lack of availability of the 6spd with the V8 made any decision regarding tranny choice a moot point.....but I'm still very happy with the car and am really pleased with how the ZF behaves. If it was anything like the 7spd auto in my wife's SLK, I'd have been extremely disappointed.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I also wanted my wife to be able to drive the car so a manual was out of contention on that basis alone.
Funny, part of the reason I bought a manual is because I knew that it would keep my wife from driving it.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Funny, part of the reason I bought a manual is because I knew that it would keep my wife from driving it.
LOL..... well I'm trying to get my wife to sell her SLK so I have more room in the shop for toys and motocycles so if I'd have gotten a manual, there is no way I'd be able to pry the MB out of her hands.

Dave

Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The MT is extremely enjoyable on long cruises, but I have to admit a bit of a chore when the DC Beltway turns into a parking lot. That said, even an automatic turns into a chore under those circumstances. My wife drives her own MT (who would marry someone that doesn’t ) so that is never an issue, but trying to smoothly control 450hp is. She never wants to drive my Jag or any of my other beasts.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'm a manual lover but I knew right from the start that I wanted an auto (or PDK) this time around.....I really wanted the car to provide thrills when I wanted to play around but also to be relaxing on a road trip or in heavy traffic....I also wanted my wife to be able to drive the car so a manual was out of contention on that basis alone.

I figured that a new, modern, paddle shifted tranny would offer the best of both worlds and after a year and a half I have zero regrets - I find the F type ZF to be a ton of fun in dynamic mode shifting with the paddles and also to be mellow enough in full "grandma mode" to be relaxing for me and also not intimidating for my wife to drive.

The F type was always going to be a V8 for me so the lack of availability of the 6spd with the V8 made any decision regarding tranny choice a moot point.....but I'm still very happy with the car and am really pleased with how the ZF behaves. If it was anything like the 7spd auto in my wife's SLK, I'd have been extremely disappointed.

Cheers,
Dave
thanks, there are some manualmatics that are clear no go's for me, like the one in the 2015 and down c class coupe, serious lag on upshifts

the ftype's is crisp and quick, which makes me at least consider it

Old 10-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

thanks, there are some manualmatics that are clear no go's for me, like the one in the 2015 and down c class coupe, serious lag on upshifts

the ftype's is crisp and quick, which makes me at least consider it
Yep, the Jag and Porsches recent PDK's are the only ones I've driven that actually felt good to me ......most MB's seem very sluggish though I'll say that my Wife's new GLC43 AMG in sport mode with the paddles is pretty decent....they're learning, I guess.

Dave

Old 10-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
[center] My wife drives her own MT (who would marry someone that doesn’t )
My wife has other "attributes" which I felt outweighed here desire to avoid shifting! ;-)

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Who moved from a porsche to a f type?