F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who moved from a porsche to a f type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Yep, the Jag and Porsches recent PDK's are the only ones I've driven that actually felt good to me ......most MB's seem very sluggish though I'll say that my Wife's new GLC43 AMG in sport mode with the paddles is pretty decent....they're learning, I guess.

Dave
The only transmission that I would say comes in between those two is the BMW DCT trans. I've heard both sides, that some owners love PDK while others prefer the DCT due to the PDK shifting almost "too quick".

Old 10-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkman
Trading my 911 in today for a F Type R. Looking forward to the change. I've owned 911s for the last 14 years.
Welcome to this club, post some photos when you have it.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a Porsche to an F-Type in one day. One day I was set on buying a CPO base boxster. Then I drove it. Way low on power. The next day I was looking for a Base F Type. And the rest is history.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok went from 6 911s in a row to f type r 2 years ago- the torque is delicious but I still yearn for my last 991.2. I have tired of the obnoxiously loud sport exhaust and the rental car switch gear. My lease is up in the spring and though I don't want to pony up the extra 30 k for a new 911 the new boxster is on the radar- or even perhaps a e63s as im fatiguing of climbing up off the ground ---sorry

Old 10-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 2011 boxster s pdk with fabspeed supercup exhaust for a '17 f type r. The boxster handling was incredible. The ftr is great as well but i can take turns and go through traffic with ease in the boxster. The pdk was incredible but clunky around town.

i prefer the f type r is city driving and in traffic. Comfort features are much better and the speed of the r is very nice. In my honest opinion, the difference between the boxster s and f type s wasnt large enough for me to trade my vehicle. The fts is great but to each their own.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

update:

test drove a 2015 RS5 and then a 2016 AWD r f type coupe yesterday

the rs5 has a great smooth wonderful engine, with good throttle response and great sound
I walked away "not bad"

then I drove the awd f type r, second time driving one, and the car blew me away again, the sound, the instant throttle response, the immense effortless power, the car had me grinning and laughing out loud, haven't had that reaction since my first drive of a 981 S

the zf 8 speed is very responsive, much more so than the audi dual clutch, it gave a real sense of connection

my worries about missing manual were muted driving it again

I walked away "I want this car"

...now it's all about working it out with the rest of the moving parts in my life

wish me luck! It does feel good to have a car I really want!

The following 2 users liked this post by baege:
Don1954 (11-08-2017), JagAlb (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cptslow
I have a kind of unique perspective to offer here. Had a 2012 911S (991), and 2014 Cayman S. LOVED the Cayman. I would never have gotten rid of that car, ever. Sure, it lacked a little low end grunt. Yes, some of the things inside felt a tad cheap. But the handling, my god the handling. It was a little scalpel. Sadly, 3 weeks ago it was involved in an accident and totalled.

Last fall, we traded the 911S for an F Coupe S. LOVE the looks of it. Probably the most beautiful car on the road. Rare. Sounds fantastic. Quick. I don't like the attention received at stop lights, gas stations, etc. The 911 was invisible. The other thing I don't care for is the transmission. A traditional auto just doesn't seem right for this car. The PDK in the 911 and Cayman was psychic. On the road, on track, at autocross. The F Type feels a little "dumb" to me in that respect. So, I've come from Porsche, and would have stayed with the Cayman if it had lived. And also would have stayed with Jag. The F and the Cayman made for a sweet garage.

Have any of you tracked or done auto cross with your FType? I used to do it all the time with the Cayman, but not really sure the F is suited to it.
Sorry to hear about your Cayman, they do make great track cars I asked about tracking the F Type and was assured it could be done. Of course, it would need some mods - high performance brakes, etc. I am still having a little trouble seeing the corners of the car and when you are nose to tail that is a requirement.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

baege: You mentioned the dual clutch on the RS5. Interestingly, the new 2018 RS5 has changed to the ZF8.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Well I can not say I moved from a Porsche to an F Type but in a way I did. But worked in a logic that having the occasion to have a Porsche Boxster Cabrio it made me move with my desires to a Coupe and after I used for a period the Boxter I could not make it without a Coupe in the Fleet.

So from there started the search to the best compromise, which ended with me finding the best possible Jag F Type (new) for price/options compared to the market. So now the Jag is in the garage and my soul rested down in peace. The only challenge is having time, finding time to be in it and driving it...

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (11-10-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by JagAlb
The only challenge is having time, finding time to be in it and driving it...
Isn’t that the truth?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess you could say I did... Had a 993 from 96-98, sold it when the warranty was up. And.... 18 years later got the F-Type

JagAlb (11-08-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

i read the first 2 pages and later read the last 3

so , in the past i had 3 cayman

Cayman S manual 3.4

cayman 2.9 manual
cayman 2.7 pdk

i drive the f type from 2 days and i really love it ....it's on another level , very more exotic car , i need more day of driving to tell the difference but hey this car is fantastic and yes i sell the last cayman for a f type

porsche is porsche of course

but also jaguar is jaguar i prefer to change because i love torque in low and more hp , of course cayman is mid engine handling fantastic steering wheel is superb and also braking is great.

at the moment i use only 30 % of my f type , bad wheather and not know the car very well so in the next days i can compare both

sorry for my english

JagAlb (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by indietor
sorry for my english
Not to worry. Better than many of the native English speakers on this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
JagAlb (11-11-2017), Mbourne (11-10-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in a little different boat. I've got a newer Cayenne GTS and a '14 V8S vert. Each has it's own virtues. The Cayenne has 3 baby seats in the back, the vert is our date night car. As weird as this may sound, but I feel the Cayenne handles better than the Jag. It just feels more stable around corners and cloverleaf on/off ramps. The power of the V8S is intoxicating and I absolutely love it but the handling thing has made me question more than once if I should trade it in for something different. Always had my eye on a Boxster Spyder...or maybe a 911 GTS...

Old 11-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indietor
i read the first 2 pages and later read the last 3

so , in the past i had 3 cayman

Cayman S manual 3.4

cayman 2.9 manual
cayman 2.7 pdk

i drive the f type from 2 days and i really love it ....it's on another level , very more exotic car , i need more day of driving to tell the difference but hey this car is fantastic and yes i sell the last cayman for a f type

porsche is porsche of course

but also jaguar is jaguar i prefer to change because i love torque in low and more hp , of course cayman is mid engine handling fantastic steering wheel is superb and also braking is great.

at the moment i use only 30 % of my f type , bad wheather and not know the car very well so in the next days i can compare both

sorry for my english
thanks for the thoughts

yes it is the low end torque and immense immediate power and sound and drama of the f type that are drawing me in

the cayman handles better but unfortunately living in a city curves without the obstacles of other cars are hard to come by...

look forward to.more of your thoughts

Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now have SVR love it
I would never buy a porsche again the service was appalling which could cloud my thoughts

Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM

ok today it was a sunny day and i debadge the jagauar on the spoiler and leave only the beast !

i drive more today im honest it surprise me ....in the past 2 days i was thinking porsche is handling better but ... but not the tyres start to do the job and i start to have confidence with the car and i do same route that i usually do perfect with my porsche and it was the same handling same precision , ok different because of engine and more power but i have experience on that car and i start to adjust my style of driving to the jag ... i don't want talk about the braking because it's early , i do in the next week and after i put a new set of tyres pzero , im sure it will be perfect , more weight of course but very great handling and traction , i first put the track DSC and i leave it so this car is fantastic , in my family we had and have all kind of sports car and it's difficult to make me "WOW" but yes .. this car is tremendous , no difference when i run in montecarlo with a lambo for looking and sound, ok ...different style but EXOTIC ...and sound ! wow...pure driving pleasure ! the cayman 101% don't do that never , because it's a "entry" level of porsche , if we talk about new 911 turbo it's another planet but jag have a very great design and probably when you drive in city people look more at you than a 911 turbo , probablyi a 991 gt3 rs lime green is more EXOTIC porsche for me is superior but not with a cayman boxster or a 991 base model , you need to take a turbo , and porsche understand that and do 718 718s and 992 T , monster torque and monster car but , i love the design , and this jaguar is superb !
put a 991 and a super f type side by side and look it , also i need to say porsche 991 is a classic, one of the greatest car ever !

hope help you that

in the next days i will be more confident and tell you the impressions .

Old 11-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Only Porsches that cost double even begin to compare to an F Type. That's only the GT2/3.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Don1954
A Vette is not F Type.

It is not a Jaaag.

Sure the sound is the best, response is excellent but take a look at the F.

A gawker told me this past weekend that the car looks so fine that it looks like it has not even been made yet.

The car is simply so beautiful. Vette, not so much, and its a Chevy....
That's just snobbery. Vette's are incredible cars. I had two Z06s and a ZR1 before my F Type and they're amazing. Much faster than my F Type in every way. F Type was a better overall package but not by much.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 AM

ok ... today sunny sunny day but yesterday rain

1. pzero are garbage on this car if you means sport car with that horsepower and front engine

2. im working on the braking style different from my porsche and lambo , but for a good warm up i start to go very slow to big hit on the brake ...and start the trip... when i do a good warm up on the sunny days the car brake very good and if you understand the car very very good , different from a mid engine car or 991 engine , but from the mid of the trip of today i feel very good and confident , so im sure i go night and day when i put on new michelin , night and day for sure... and that will transform the car in a monster.

3. on the wet (yesterday) because of power and torque and the garbage tyres , it's a car that need a lot of respect because he can be dangerous , i try the snow wet mode and feel great smooth and good for that condition, 101% at moment i can push hard on the wet because it's too early and no right tyres , im sure with michelin and some little mods this car will go super on the wet. (not rain ) of course.

4. steering wheel it's related to the tyres also...and for the moment i avoid the comment on that and i do when i put the michelin. but in dry it's very good, not like a lotus or a porsche but at the moment i don't want judge that.

5. power. enormous ! you really can't use it in city and on the city street where you can use you need to drive smooth and increase your limit day by day , if you push hard the car have a lot of torque and power , i can check in some street where i test the car (closed roads) i use 1 gear more than CAYMAN that is a razor in the curves (example cayman i do 2 and 3 rd gear) jag go in 3 and 4 gear) some adjust on my driving style but it's ok i start to feel confident , my big experience is with a mid engine car but you love that car , really !!! the sound OMG !!!!

6. driving in the traffic and in the city is very comfortly , i do same on the alfa 4c that probably buy or lotus v6 3.5 they are different car of course but you really can' use every day

for everyday i find that jag perfect vs cayman manual gearbox , because of torque of automatic gearbox (if you want fun you put S) and a lot of many things ( more exotic look)

of course is not the lambo , but you know and i know that ! my conclusion is that after little mod little little this is a super baragain of sports car better that the most part of sportscar market

Quick Reply: Who moved from a porsche to a f type?