F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Says You Can't Take the F-Type Out in ZERO Degrees F?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015 | 09:54 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joz132
While I completely respect your opinion on this issue - I'd like to offer up mine.

I buy these type of cars, as "toys"...I own, and drive them, to enjoy the experience.

I get ZERO enjoyment driving when the roads are cold, salt covered, damp, poor conditions, etc.

Living in Chicago makes enjoying my toy in winter very challenging.
Understood Joz132! Believe me when I say I too would prefer warm and sunny and clear skies - and salt-free roads - but given where I live (willingly so I might add) I go with the flow...and the snow. LOTS & LOTS of SNOW.

But you know that .

Best regards and thanks for your post.

The following users liked this post:
Joz132 (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015 | 10:40 AM

No one sez you can't take the F-Type out in 0 degs. It's more the question of why one would want to do so. I get absolutely zero enjoyment driving in the snow around town for the simple reason I have to share the road with clueless drivers.

Old 02-25-2015 | 10:55 AM
|
Veteran Member

I hear that! (By the way, those clueless drivers are definitely a 4-season thing).

Like everything, it is what it is. (Unfortunate).

P.S. Zero enjoyment? Really? Again, I totally get that many ONLY want to drive under ideal conditions...but I'm not one of them.

Old 02-25-2015 | 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I hear that! (By the way, those clueless drivers are definitely a 4-season thing).

Like everything, it is what it is. (Unfortunate).

P.S. Zero enjoyment? Really? Again, I totally get that many ONLY want to drive under ideal conditions...but I'm not one of them.
Really. Zero. Zip. Nada enjoyment driving. Totally unrelated to how much I enjoy driving in snow or in less than "ideal conditions." Simply not going to expose my F-Type to inexperienced drivers when any evasive action I might want to take could be compromised by the road conditions at the moment.

Fact is, I love driving in snow. When skiing (though sadly, hardly at all this year--no snow--y'all have some of ours--and I know, you'd gladly give us some--I agree--having that much would give me a good dose of "cabin fever" too--I've been reading your posts), I use my snow junker and have a blast driving and sliding. Hey, it's all good.

Last edited by deltagroup; 02-25-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Hate rock chips too!
Old 02-25-2015 | 12:27 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Really. Zero. Zip. Nada enjoyment driving. Totally unrelated to how much I enjoy driving in snow or in less than "ideal conditions." Simply not going to expose my F-Type to inexperienced drivers when any evasive action I might want to take could be compromised by the road conditions at the moment.

Fact is, I love driving in snow. When skiing (though sadly, hardly at all this year--no snow--y'all have some of ours--and I know, you'd gladly give us some--I agree--having that much would give me a good dose of "cabin fever" too--I've been reading your posts), I use my snow junker and have a blast driving and sliding. Hey, it's all good.
Agreed! I LOVED my Subaru WRX and with the winter set up I had I could cut a path through anything and everything; and did often enough. regardless of how poor the conditions were. (One day I will have to get another WRX).

Unfortunately I also agree - and I'm not trying to get on any soap-box here and now - that road manners, never mind road skills, have detriorated to next to nothing with increased hostility and ill-manners. Times we live in and a sad commentary on the state of the world. Of course it could be so much worse (witness the Forum member who lost his wife to an accident) but let's not go there.

Cheers and happy [and event-free] driving to you...whatever you're driving.

Old 02-25-2015 | 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joz132
Nice...

even you may have had a problem exiting my garage a few years ago
I do think so (unless it was light powder). But I would have tried.....all part of the fun.

Old 02-25-2015 | 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

+1, especially here in the DC area.

Old 02-25-2015 | 03:38 PM

Awesome, keep enjoying her!

RickyJay52 (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015 | 08:55 PM

So today, the weather was practically summer (37 degrees)...so the F-Type R was out...it was fun and did its job to get me back and forth to work in comfort...Any colder it would ride too hard and just wouldn't be that much fun....

Old 02-25-2015 | 09:08 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XFactoR
So today, the weather was practically summer (37 degrees)...so the F-Type R was out...it was fun and did its job to get me back and forth to work in comfort...Any colder it would ride too hard and just wouldn't be that much fun....
Jolly good show! 37 degrees? In my neck of the woods that would be considered a heat wave! Send some degrees this way would you please? (Personally, I enjoy merely looking at my F-Type - standing still - alhough I would obviously much prefer driving it).

Old 02-26-2015 | 10:56 AM

...Send some degrees this way would you please?....
If I could, I certainly would, heh. Our snowpack is down to 7% of normal this time of year. Forget skiing. I'm becoming a tad concerned about water rationing this summer.

Old 02-26-2015 | 12:19 PM
|
Veteran Member

...for the simple reason I have to share the road with clueless drivers.
Police: 75-vehicle pileup on I-95 largest chain-reaction crash in Maine

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/02/...rash-in-maine/

Clueless, stupid, and reckless!***

No wonder when everyone is right up everyone's a$$ on the highways - roadways - with not a clue how long it actually takes to brake under "normal" conditions, never mind snow, rain, ice, or just plain sloppy conditions. Like the piece says, miracle no one was killed.

***I want to be clear here: while many of the people involved in this unfortunate incident likely had nothing to do with the situation (and, of course, I feel sorry for all involved) - and were driving at a sensible and responsible speed [and distance from each other] given the conditions - excessive speed and irresponsible driving, given the conditions, seems to me to be the principle cause of this entire mess. Naturally if conditions are so dire as to cause anyone to slip or slide or skid, at any speed, then it's anyone's ballgame and totally up in the air.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-27-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2015 | 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

If I could, I certainly would, heh. Our snowpack is down to 7% of normal this time of year. Forget skiing. I'm becoming a tad concerned about water rationing this summer.
I'm more than a tad concerned about rain and snow here in very dry SoCal..

Old 02-26-2015 | 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jayt2
I'm more than a tad concerned about rain and snow here in very dry SoCal..
Understand why you would be. Wasn't offering up to compare our situation up here with the impacts of the drought in Cali, especially the impacts on your growers. The effects of climate change are all around us (and please, I don't want to debate whether climate change is real or perceived).

Old 02-26-2015 | 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Understand why you would be. Wasn't offering up to compare our situation up here with the impacts of the drought in Cali, especially the impacts on your growers. The effects of climate change are all around us (and please, I don't want to debate whether climate change is real or perceived).

I know you weren't comparing and no 'climate change' comments from here either.

Old 02-27-2015 | 08:18 PM

If you don't want to have a debate about climate change, then DON'T make a proclamation assuming that a stated fact is an irrefutable truth!!

It's arrogant to make a controversial statement and then try to control the conversation by not wanting to debate. Nobody controls the discussion or the narrative.

If you are free to make that statement, then I am free and WILL disagree with you.

Climate change is nothing but politicized junk science....

Unlike you, I will welcome the comments from the community .....

Last edited by XFactoR; 02-27-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Mulmur (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015 | 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Jay, ........

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-27-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: More appropriate as a private correspondence
Old 02-27-2015 | 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

If you don't want to have a debate about climate change, then DON'T make a proclamation assuming that a stated fact is an irrefutable truth!!
Ahh, I hate to point this out (no I don't, to be truthful), but if something is deemed to be a "fact", stated or otherwise (actually, what else can it be other than "stated"?), then by its very nature, it is irrefutable truth.

You should really be referring to that thing as a supposition, proposition or belief if you don't believe it.

Climate change is nothing but politicized junk science....
What you're actually saying is, you don't agree with the overwhelming weight of scientific evidence, and would like to validate your characterization of the evidence by ascribing political motivation and flawed methodology to it (playing the man, not the ball), without citing any empirical evidence to substantiate your position.

After you watch this healthy dose of perspective about the weight of scientific evidence, you may find that it hasn't changed your position one little bit. And that will be good, because then you don't have to stay awake at night worrying about whether your fairies at the bottom of your garden are going to freeze to death in the next massive blizzard to hit NA, or that they might die of thirst in the next (current?) big drought.

Cheers,
Oz

The following 4 users liked this post by OzRisk:
deltagroup (03-01-2015), DJS (02-28-2015), Foosh (02-27-2015), Unhingd (02-27-2015)
Old 02-28-2015 | 12:14 AM

Dallas has gotten a few northern like wintery days including today. I've been taking the f type out in all of it, slush, snow, ice etc. Downside, its filthy and desperately needs a wash. That aside its gotten me to dinner, the grocery store, and a couple errands. I may not be the fastest guy on the road in this weather (quite possibly the slowest!) but I can get from point a to b in comfort without any issues and don't end up like the idiots in suv's and trucks slammed into the side of the wall. I wouldn't want to go for a very long drive in it in this weather but lets be real no matter what i'm in I wouldn't want to go for a very long drive on the icy, snowy roads. Oh and ice/rain/snow mode is a great plus.

Old 02-28-2015 | 04:44 AM
|
Veteran Member

Outstanding!

P.S. Based on your enthusiastic post, there is no down-side. (Much as I love a clean car as much as the next guy/gal, I'll take a filthy driven F-Type any day of the week over a spotlessly clean but garaged F-Type. No question about it!)

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-28-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Who Says You Can't Take the F-Type Out in ZERO Degrees F?