F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whose taken a 1100 mile road trip in their F type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not in an F-Type, but did 2200 miles from Chicago to South Carolina earlier this year in my X100 XKR, including through the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina. Car drove beautifully, and every minute of yhe drive was absolute joy. Could never have done that in my previous BMW Z4!

Old 10-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2020 F type SVR was delivered from Tucson to Boise. We took a trip to St.Louis was very comfy, the 5 liter supercharged V8 gave us 27 mpg. Then a trip from Boise to the Oregon coast mpg was 24mpg+. These two trips were a blast almost every time we stopped for fuel (92 octane only) people would make an effort to compliment the beauty of our Madagascar Orange rocket. So after 7000 miles of mostly freeway driving haven't had any problems, so comfortable and happy with our purchase.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Well, I'm fairly close on making a purchase, but this particular F type is 1100 miles away. I'm considering flying out and driving it back. Partly to save a few bucks and stress on transport, partly to make it an experience. I've always thought a cross country drive in a nice sports car would be a bucket list activity. Fairly straight shot from Virginia back to Kansas City. Hope to make the deal soon to avoid any significant Winter weather conditions.
Anyone care to share their lost distance road trip experience in terms of comfort, enjoyment? How did the car handle the several hours of highway driving? Any mechanical issues? Did the long hours in the F type change your opinion of the car for better or worse? How did you feel at the end of the journey once you pulled into your driveway?
Thanks in advance for the experiences and advice!
I have not driven an F Type but have driven vehicles I picked up all over the country and the average trip was between 1200 and 1500 miles. KC to San Diego, Chicago to San Diego, St. Louis to San Diego, Everett WA to San Diego, etc. I can tell you that you will tire long before the vehicle. I did 26 to 30 hours of straight driving and would prefer to do it in winter than in summer as the heat can drain your energy really fast and you can't simply open the window for a blast of cold air. I know we all have A/C but the sun beating on you through the windows does a job on you. Interstates drone on forever. I didn't stop for sleep, although I would not do that again as the last 4 hours or so were brutal. I suppose age has something to do with that too. Good luck and if you make the trip, take time to enjoy it rather than pounding the pavement all the way to get home!

Old 10-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 2013 my 17 yr old son and I drove my 1997 XJ6L from Port Townsend WA, across Washington, SR20 Cascadia Loop, across Idaho. Wyoming, So Dakota to Mt Rushmore, Four Corners NM. The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas back through Oregon, Crater Lake and home. 2700 mile trip i seven days. It was a trip of a life time and we've done four more road trips over the years. My advise to you "GO FOR IT"! Plan your trip try to stay off Interstate Hwys where possible. Google places of interest along the way taking your time, you wont regret it. "Happy Trails"

Last edited by haroldpeacocksr; 10-08-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by haroldpeacocksr
In 2013 my 17 yr old son and I drove my 1997 XJ6L from Port Townsend WA, across Washington, SR20 Cascadia Loop, across Idaho. Wyoming, So Dakota to Mt Rushmore, Four Corners NM. The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas back through Oregon, Crater Lake and home. 2700 mile trip i seven days. It was a trip of a life time and we've done four more road trips over the years. My advise to you "GO FOR IT"! Plan your trip try to stay off Interstate Hwys where possible. Google places of interest along the way taking your time, you wont regret it. "Happy Trails"
No way you still are around Port Townsend and get coffee with a guy named Big Mike East?

Old 10-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased mine in San Diego last month and then drove 1100m up to Portland, OR. Loved every minute of it, other than all the damn fires in CA, I got up here right before the OR fires hit. Mine had 47k miles on it, I had them take it to the Jag dealer to do a detailed diag of the coolant system to make sure the hoses weren't about go out on the drive. The coolant system held pressure fine but the hoses were getting brittle so the dealer paid to replace them all! It's like a $3k job and not one you want to have to dick with when on the road.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Every week or two I make a 600 mile (each way) trip between the mid-Atlantic and Northern New England. Plus, I've make a few trips to and from East Texas in my F-type S coupe RWD. On occasion, I've driven non-stop (except for gas stops) 20-hours to or from East Texas. Weather during Spring, Summer and autumn oftentimes includes rain, fog, and mist (With the exception of one trip, I keep the car off the road once salt is applied to the streets and highways). I must say that, as with all four late model Jags that my wife and I own (also includes an E-PACE, XE & XF), the seats are long distance comfortable, the ride is firm but comfortable, and the handling impeccable, even with RWD. I replaced the OEM Pirelli summer tires with Conti DWS all season tires in order to extend the driving season. Depending on your personal taste, the loud button may be too loud for long journeys. However, I'm hard of hearing to begin with and I find the loud exhaust intoxicating; simply intoxicating. My wife DEFINITELY does not! Other than a known issue of the battery draining after someone plugs into the OBO port (a simple fix is to briefly disconnect the battery ground wire and reconnect), knock on wood, I've not had a problem with either my previous 2015 or my current 2016.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:23 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks everyone for the continued stories and advice! Very much appreciated. Unfortunately, this one got away. Someone had more money and less patience than I did and grabbed it before I could.
As luck would have it, there aren't any others currently listed on all the car sites that meet my budget and needs, so it may be a while.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Keep looking. It will happen when it’s meant to!

Old 10-13-2020, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Thanks everyone for the continued stories and advice! Very much appreciated. Unfortunately, this one got away. Someone had more money and less patience than I did and grabbed it before I could.
As luck would have it, there aren't any others currently listed on all the car sites that meet my budget and needs, so it may be a while.

I need to retcon my comment further. I'm just as wisely informed by my wife's opinion as any other man. My comment was a bit acerbic even if jokey.

Cannot wait for you to find the right one, because you two will have best trips you could have ever hope for.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew to Tampa Florida from North Carolina for mine, wasn't a bad drive back. Starting ownership with a road trip allows for bonding and learning the ins and outs of the car

Old 10-23-2020, 04:57 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by IronPickle
Starting ownership with a road trip allows for bonding and learning the ins and outs of the car
Hopefully more ins than outs!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I moved back from the Middle East to Europe last year, imported my car back to old blighty (no VAT for personal items), then picked it up near Nottingham, drove through the chunnel (on train of course) and then all the way down to the Costa Blanca to my 'Sunville' bolt hole, a verts natural habitat..

Took 2 days, included many many French A/B-Roads, a glorious trip through the Pyrenees mountains (insanely beautiful) and then some seriously fast (whilst observing all traffic laws of course) KM's through the Spanish flatlands via Zaragoza, beautiful in a different way........

Over 1300 miles, all of which I would gladly do again, and probably will, but not back to blighty, maybe up to Switzerland and Austria and stuff, just got to get rid of this bl00dy Covid, gah..

Had a bit of a numb bum sometimes, but at 6'5", it was surprisingly comfortable, especially with some banging tunes on as well!

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (10-26-2020)