F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do people drive crazy around an f type.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

They drive crazy, but it doesn't feel like a challenging thing, when people do it around me. It's like "I love my car and REALLY love your car and let's have fun we're in the club!" type of vibe. I've also had 4 banger guys and ricer types speed up out of nowhere to come alongside me, simply to shout "I'm buying one of those as soon as I can afford a used one". It's happened three times. LOL

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
89 Jacobra (05-20-2020), DirtyAir (02-13-2017), jfranks (02-24-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
They drive crazy, but it doesn't feel like a challenging thing, when people do it around me. It's like "I love my car and REALLY love your car and let's have fun we're in the club!" type of vibe. I've also had 4 banger guys and ricer types speed up out of nowhere to come alongside me, simply to shout "I'm buying one of those as soon as I can afford a used one". It's happened three times. LOL
Lol.. I agree. Have yet to feel like anyone is jealous. The ricers may be a Bay Area thing. Happens to me a lot as well... They really seem to appreciate it more than other.. I posted in another thread that I have learned a lot about Miatas lately. Those guys love to track me down in parking lots and talk.

Had a lady and her husband pull an insane u-turn to come back into the parking lot I had just pulled into and then drive by twice. I heard her yell in disbelief "ITS A JAAAGUER". Lol..

Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

You don't have to be driving an F-Type to observe this hooligan behaviour around you. The same thing happens around my XK. But my point: my wife has a black X-Type, manual shift. (For those who have read and believed that the X-Type was a failure, I have an ocean-front property in Saskatchewan that you might be interested in. People who own X-Types love them, and for good reason. We have owned this daily-use, never garaged, fun-to-drive X-Type for 13 years. In these 13 years it has needed exactly ONE repair- replacement of an oxygen sensor. It looks new and drives as new).
But I digress. Back to bad behaviour: this car has period-correct OEM supercharged R badges on it (yes, I know...). I have consistently noted that BMW drivers become even more irresponsible and sociopathic when they spot those badges! Fun to observe - but a Jaguar, any Jaguar, has nothing to prove.

Last edited by sov211; 02-14-2017 at 12:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (02-24-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by diablomkii
how do you know?
Our area seems to be loaded with minivan formula 1 drivers. I've been challenged by minivans multiple times. I guess I'd be angry and looking for excitement if I drove one.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Nobody challenges my Subaru winter beater, because they know they just can't take it on - AWD + LSD + Winter Tire = pure domination. Last snow storm I destroyed, completely embarrassed brand new M4. I was observing in the rear view mirror how he was white knuckling his slip-and-slide ride while I was plowing through the slush like it wasn't there. I bet he was wishing he was driving my well-used but capable winter beater instead of his incapable jalopy.

Last edited by SinF; 02-13-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Nobody challenges my Subaru winter beater, because they know they just can't take it on - AWD + LSD + Winter Tire = pure domination. Last snow storm I destroyed, completely embarrassed brand new M4. I was observing in the rear view mirror how he was white knuckling his slip-and-slide ride while I was plowing through the slush like it wasn't there. I bet he was wishing he was driving my well-used but capable winter beater instead of his incapable jalopy.
Do you also happen to own a 1980s minivan?

Last edited by jaguny; 02-14-2017 at 04:54 AM.
jfranks (02-24-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

last night an AMG, i think a c series, tried racing me. he was full pedal to the floor accelerating and i was in dynamic+sport in 3rd gear. casually walked past him. then when we both reached the next red light, he turned into his community and as he was doing that, downshifted and tried producing crackles/pops..only to sound like baby farts. my wife was so amused at the sounds. hehehe
came home feeling so proud of my baby(the car, i mean )

Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Do you also happen to own a 1980s minivan?
Yes, with "free candy" on the side and heavily tinted windows. However, it is mostly parked and rarely moved.

Can I interest you in some candy? Hop in inside.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

My S65 AMG is faster from 30mph+ till governed speed.
My coyote Stang is a lot of fun for the buck with just a Dynaflow mandrel straight pipe and stock looking tips.
My track prepped STI is a blast to floor around corners in the 1st two gears but my 17 F-Type coupe R transcends me and occupant to another state of Zen.

The Coupe R is like Cat-Nip, it makes people around get excited.
If they only knew what it does to the occupants.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Yes, with "free candy" on the side and heavily tinted windows. However, it is mostly parked and rarely moved.

Can I interest you in some candy? Hop in inside.
If it's rarely moved you cannot be the formula one type.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In SoCal there are obviously lots of nice cars, they never pay me any attention. But every lowered/slammed Civic, Accord, Lancer with the camber off on their wheels and some crappy exhaust always pull up beside me and start farting away. Seems like they want to race. I usually switch lanes. Maybe there being nice and just want to hear the car.
Next time I'll give them a thumbs up! That's a good idea, I'm not into racing.

Burt Gummer (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New C63s coupe stock can run the quarter as fast as a Ftype R. Just dont sound as good.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I, too have been hounded by Camaros, Mustangs, and many, many Challengers every time I am on Interstate 10.
I just ignore!

Last edited by NTAV; 02-16-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
I, too have been hounded by Camaros, Mustangs, and many, many Challengers every time I am on Interstate 10.
I just ignore!
now that you have mentioned challengers, i think they are the worst. this one challenger followed me in a subdivision, trying to screech and drift behind me. i was genuinely scared. i guess that's why they're called 'challengers' lol

Old 02-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

But, this is the truest beauty of the F-Type IMHO! Sexy and classy in form yet with brutal, gnarly power and growl if provoked. And mine is only a V8 R, imagine some of the tuned ones that members have on this board, but I'm the chilled type guy regardless

Old 02-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is much more calm after the Viper !!!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I get allot of the racers around me as well. Everything from the guy in the huge pickup to the Mustangs (of all flavors), to the seriously modified Japanese cars.

I will agree with one of the above posts, the chargers/challengers seem the most aggressive (annoying).

For the most part the kids in the "ricers" don't bother me, they're just kids that like cars and just want to have fun, a quick dash with them to mostly make some noise doesn't hurt anyone. I just let them all win so they don't hurt themselves and it gives them something to talk about at their meets.

The kids on the bikes I worry about. I get a few of those, and I had one follow me up to 120+ mph real fast, I thought I would just leave him behind because no one would be stupid enough to follow. That was not one my best ideas; I will NOT do that again, they just get a thumbs up and then ignored.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelW
I get allot of the racers around me as well. Everything from the guy in the huge pickup to the Mustangs (of all flavors), to the seriously modified Japanese cars.

I will agree with one of the above posts, the chargers/challengers seem the most aggressive (annoying).

For the most part the kids in the "ricers" don't bother me, they're just kids that like cars and just want to have fun, a quick dash with them to mostly make some noise doesn't hurt anyone. I just let them all win so they don't hurt themselves and it gives them something to talk about at their meets.

The kids on the bikes I worry about. I get a few of those, and I had one follow me up to 120+ mph real fast, I thought I would just leave him behind because no one would be stupid enough to follow. That was not one my best ideas; I will NOT do that again, they just get a thumbs up and then ignored.
Lol.. most modern 600cc+ sport bikes will shred us in a straight line or highway. Nothing beats them for $$$-horsepower speed. When I was "one of those kids" we liked getting a cage to play tag. It was fun to see what sports cars could do since we already knew what our bikes could do.

The following 2 users liked this post by DirtyAir:
89 Jacobra (05-20-2020), Uncle Fishbits (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

This is absolutely doubling up on the "bystander" post, and it's a bit redundant, but for posterity...

Also, people drive crazy, yes. But have any of you noticed just how astonishing it is the amount of people that will get out of your way, when you are coming up behind them? I don't mean like a bat out of hell. I just mean, gradually coming up behind people.... they all get out of the way like the parting of the Red Sea. Is this just my experience, or do you guys get that too? It seems fairly rare compared to other cars, etc.

2 stories:

I had a guy roll up in a Challenger awhile back, all 49ers red and gold colors, etc. I was in the fast lane, he was #2. He smiled, held up 3 fingers, and started to countdown. At one, he gunned it and I decided, hell... middle of the day no one on the road. I downshifted and hit the gas, and the pull made me feel like I was pulling mach speeds. LOL I quickly regained and went in front of him, but then immediately gave the thumbs up, smiled like "you see we could do this all day" look, and he just howled laughing with his friend, and sped away. It was totally harmless, and not ill advised with road and time of day, traffic load, etc.

------------

But this morning... OH MAN. I am heading up a steep grade in normal morning traffic. Lots of the aggressive BMW and Audi guys in the fast lane, and I am in lane #2 slowly pulling ahead. There's a badass BMW motorcyclist behind me, just driving like a sane dude. It's a beautiful day, first in a few months (rare endless rains here).

So a Prius signals from #2 lane (in front of me), to the #3 lane, and it gives me a WIDE open swath of road to pull ahead, and just cruise past the fast lane folks. I wasn't racing, nor even thinking about "yay passing". I was just driving.

But this Audi A3 pulls agressively from #1 into #2 so he could draft me and pass the other fast lane cars, as well. But he was SO DAMNED FIXATED ON MY CAR (I could see in the rear view, as all this unfolded), that he both didn't signal, nor did he realize he pulled into the lane where the motorcycle was OBVIOUSLY owning and dominating the space the Audi was moving into. The biker pulled into #3 REALLY quickly, with nary a wobble, but then gets back in front of the Audi, looking back with a lovely little Italian chin scrape **** YOU, and then shook his fist in the air at him.

The Audi realizes what he did... aka almost killed a dude.... and backed WAY off. I didn't see him again.

But the biker, about 20 seconds later, comes along side me... he points at me, points at my signals and gives me a thumbs up (I had signaled a number of times on the road with him, and am obviously aware of him a few times, and he saw that), then points back where the audi driver is, points to his helmet, makes a "loco / cuckoo" sign, then points back to what is obviously the F-Type en toto, and gives multiple multiple agressive thumbs up as he speeds onto the Golden Gate Bridge.

It was hilarious. It sums up so much... going back to the thread that I got guff about re: "image". The Audi commercial didn't help this A3 guy drive like someone who is either aware or a gentleman. LOL

I am big into using turn signals, and really big in being overly nice and polite, waving to people for the littlest of things (even if I am just passing with a wide berth).

But it was a nice interaction with the biker. Sorry for the short story. It ends now! =)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
16fnrbrg (05-19-2020), 89 Jacobra (05-20-2020)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Good stories need to be told many times!

89 Jacobra (05-20-2020)

Quick Reply: why do people drive crazy around an f type.