F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Why I love this car so much" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default The "Why I love this car so much" thread.

So, I love this car so much.

I drive to the airport now, whenever I go somewhere on biz. I used to cab/Uber, or whatever. I had to drive a rental over the weekend on a biz trip, and thought about my car the whole time (as much as my wife). When I walk up to it, it instantly makes me excited. Like freaking giddy. I love the parking garages, because I get to hear the engine caterwauling across the ceiling and walls. When I was in the national parks, like Arches and Badlands, the noise echoing off the walls is magnificent (I am sure the grumpy park goers like Edward Abbey would be miffed, but there's more bikers than my one car, so it seems fine). When I get coffee, I creepily gawk at my car with pleasure, like it's a wonderfully attractive woman.

I used to neurotically freak out about the concept of traffic... and I always am amazed an manual transmission people who complain about stop and go. I'm like "1st and 2nd get the best pops and crackles". And when traffic is really bad, the "happy" button puts your top down.

I've not driven it in anything but dynamic, and the "Honda" mode (aka snow/rain) hasn't been necessary, but I'm sure there is a time and place (outside of California).

I miss it, when I'm not near it, and I am charmed by it like a buffoon. I finally realize that when guys are revving their car and driving loony, it's not because they are showing off, nor is it because they are trying to impress women. It's because they are having fun, and I have a grin plastered on my face the entire time I'm in it. But I listen to standup comedy on Sirius, as well, so there's that.

Anyway... got off the plane yesterday and basically ran to my car. I've not experienced anything like this with a material object, at least not since a favorite teddy bear as a kid (or toy or whatever).

That's all.

I figure there's enough negative and down threads floating through here with the mundane issues of life, troubles.... why not one that isn't about other people's reactions, but our own? =) Cheers all you guys. Love our little club.

The following 10 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
BostonKiller (09-13-2016), Buckingham (09-12-2016), bwc (09-15-2016), DJS (09-12-2016), Greggbhill (09-13-2016), GreggM (09-13-2016), jf1 (09-13-2016), Mbourne (09-12-2016), Raul-7 (09-13-2016), Unhingd (09-12-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

My daughter's Saturn was recently stolen and beaten up a bit joy riding. The police recovered it, but it was sketchy: it smelled of awful smoke, making funny noises on the brakes, tires iffy. My wife and I went to pick it up from her dorm, and thus we had to drive separate back home. I told her to drive the F. "No no no, I'll drive her car, you drive the Jag" she told me. I was surprised that she would offer given the filthy nature of Saturn. I insisted she take the Jag. When we got home, she confessed: "I didn't want to drive it because I know how much you love that thing, I would have felt terrible if I would have scratched or damaged it! I've never seen you love a car so much!"

Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- A great way to start and end the day
- Looking back after I park as I walk away
- Gets your heart going even when you're not driving like a mad man

Old 09-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Why do I love this car so much..?
..Its best looking car of its type. (opinion)
..Its exclusive, even though I prefer to drive it in less inhabited areas.
..It handles very well for its type and price point.
..It is fast and sounds fast.
..Absolutely everyone loves the car that has gotten up close/driven it.
..It is not a Porsche.. too many around and too clinical, not good looking
..It is not a BMW.. don't need to explain
..It is not an Audi.. too many around and they just don't look good.
..It is not a corvette.. like riding in a garbage can
..It is definitely not a Telsa.. electric golf carts are not my style.
Lawrence.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Every time I get in the car, I'm looking for a chance to run it hard a bit in second & lift off to hear the overrun snap, crackle, and pop. It is then I wonder how they were allowed to sell a car this loud.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Mike --- Tell her any damage = divorce court. That will keep her on her toes.

Mulmur - On the Audi part, I'd exclude the R8 - it is very nice to look at and is rare to see ...

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 09-12-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Uncle you have managed to describe many of the feelings I have about this car with much of the same passion showing through. If I were to add find that I look for every excuse to get in it, to take it places and find new roads, to boldly.......oops sorry got distracted there. Bottom line is that my wife calls it my mistress and she is right. My son thinks I'm obsessed and he is...right. I don't pretend to understand it as I just have never gotten this attached to anything before, except maybe my wife.....no honey I meant 'of course' my wife. It's weird I never hear quite the same from owners of other makes. Sure many love their cars but I just don't "hear" the same joy in their descriptions as I do from you all and myself. It's got power, it's got sound, it's got finess at times and brute force at others. It's got class and it definitely has SOUL.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

I work for an airline so travel every week for 3-4 days at a time....the only thing that gets me through my trips is knowing my F-Type is waiting for me in my garage when I get home ;-)

Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
Every time I get in the car, I'm looking for a chance to run it hard a bit in second & lift off to hear the overrun snap, crackle, and pop. It is then I wonder how they were allowed to sell a car this loud.
I love taking this thing through underpasses and letting up at just the right time. Do it right and it is really, really loud. So juvenile...

Old 09-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default This is the first car that I actually clean inside the exhaust pipes

WD-40 works wonders!

The following 5 users liked this post by amr42:
Greggbhill (09-13-2016), GreggM (09-13-2016), Raul-7 (09-14-2016), SinF (09-14-2016), thatdude714 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I love taking this thing through underpasses and letting up at just the right time. Do it right and it is really, really loud. So juvenile...
Not sure where it is in the V8, but in the V6S at 4,300 RPM just remove right foot, and open both ears! MAGIC!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

I dont have an F, but i've driven a few.......and i completely agree. however its safe to say i have the same feelings with my XFR.

I travel a lot for work too, ive considered taking the jag to the airport instead of a cab, but i dont want to put it through weather elements and potential damage. most of the time im driving Kias/Hyundais as loaner cars so it really makes me appreciate my cars when i get home

Old 09-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I feels ya! It's the sound for me... I guess it's safe to admit that here with my fellow crazies!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
As often as I can, I drive up to a nearby town with a tunnel, lower top (if not down already), blast through the gears just shy of rev-limiter to hear the glorious sounds... At the end (outside the tunnel) I make a u-Turn and do it again on the way home... Hard to explain to non-owners why this is so much fun.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i envy you guys with the exhaust burble and overrun, my XFR doesnt do that unless i downshift into first or second coming to a stop. i want it ALL the time

Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i envy you guys with the exhaust burble and overrun, my XFR doesnt do that unless i downshift into first or second coming to a stop. i want it ALL the time
time to trade in!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meefer
I am inclined to agree, but I have a drop top. It's insanely loud, but in a dignified way. =)

Old 09-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Apart from the comments about the exhaust sound, everything else said about emotions related to owning the F-Type are common to every, absolutely every Jaguar owner. I don't have an F-type *yet* but my beautiful XK elicits all the same reactions (including those related to the exhaust sound)....and every Jag I have owned (many) from my Mk2 to a V12 Vanden Plas has caused the same behaviour in me.
Every Jag owner looks back at his car after he parks it, spends a lot of time looking at it from every angle in the garage, loves waxing those curves, massaging leather conditioner into the seats, driving it long and fast. For some reason the "feel good" (no, make that "feel great") factor of getting into the Jag, any Jag, is unlike the experience provided by any other marque. Now I feel like going to the garage to look at my XK for a while!

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Mbourne (09-15-2016), Mulmur (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Finished track day... I have to say that I love TracDSC mode on this car. I actually don't completely turn off stability, as it almost never inappropriately interferes when I drive the car.

Last edited by SinF; 09-15-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
If I were to add find that I look for every excuse to get in it, to take it places and find new roads, to boldly.......oops sorry got distracted there. Bottom line is that my wife calls it my mistress and she is right. My son thinks I'm obsessed and he is...right.
My wife, my pup, and this car. Never have become attached to anything, as I mentioned... but this... oh man. I am sure I would tire, bore, or upset most friends in going on and on about it.

I did find one thing I LOATHE. I HATE.... angrily:

When I don't get to drive it. I am going to a Flying Lotus / George Clinton concert tonight, and no WAY I am parking that in the city on a Friday night, and I almost rather bail and just take an afternoon drive for a few hours and come home. LOL I almost shout crazily when someone else says "I'll drive". They know my condition. Cat-a-tonic. Actually... a gin and tonic sounds lovely this afternoon.

Cheers to all you gentleman and lurking lads and lasses.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (09-16-2016)

Quick Reply: The "Why I love this car so much" thread.