F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 02:17 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Why Jaguar?

I know there are a ton of threads on here concerning how bad the brake dust is on these cars, but you pretty much have to experience it to truly understand how bad it is. Super bad. Washed the car and then went to get some gas and have a small drive...It's like I didn't even wash the wheels...lol...Crazy...

Why in the world would they put such crap pads on a vehicle like this?!?!?!? Pretty annoying for sure...

I've always heard BMW was bad for this too...

Bah

Old 08-03-2024, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 605 Likes on 409 Posts

Well, they're good brakes, but definitely dust prone. I used Pinnacle Black Diamond coating which helped - at least to make the dust easy to wipe/wash off. Even a little car wax will help. But, the real change came when I switched to the Porterfield pads - a vast improvement on that score. I recommend making the change before you get to the point of needing rotors. (Side note - replace the pads yourself, or use an indy. Dealers are prone to insist you do both, regardless of wear/need.)

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
Carbuff2 (Yesterday), Jdwoody17 (Yesterday)
Old 08-03-2024, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,218 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Yep, the OEM pads are incredibly dusty, which is why I changed them out to ceramics or Porterfields on all three of my Jags.
Not just dusty but very grabby and "graunchy" in stop/go traffic, almost as though the brake pedal was an on/off switch, which made it very difficult to drive smoothly in stop/go traffic.
The OEM pads are semi-metallic and purposefully designed to have strong initial "bite", and both the pads and rotors are relatively soft which is one reason why they wear out so fast.
Also not many realise that some of the dust is from the rotors not just the pads.
Change the pads out to ceramics or Porterfield R4-S and you won't look back!

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 07:09 PM
Received 201 Likes on 117 Posts

I love the R4-S pads.
In addition to less dust, I now find braking easier to modulate.

Old 08-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm looking to getting some R4-S pads soon as my rears are getting thin. What have you guys seen as the typical timeline for replacing rotors? I'm at 26k miles.

Old 08-03-2024, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I agree on everything about the Porterfield R4-S (less grabby in stop & go, less dust, better modulation) and only have found one thing worth a caution. When they are very wet and cold, they take a lot more effort until they dry. That's with the drilled and slotted Wortec rotors. If I'm on the freeway in heavy rain without touching the brakes for 15 minutes I make sure to brake early for the offramp.

I don't know about longevity of stock rotors. I changed mine out when they were still in spec.

Old 08-03-2024, 07:56 PM
Received 201 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Atipical
What have you guys seen as the typical timeline for replacing rotors? I'm at 26k miles.
My OEM rotors didn't have much life left in them when I changed them at 50k miles (35k of them driven by me).

Driving style factors into this though. I enjoy aggressive cornering.

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 08-03-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2024, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 605 Likes on 409 Posts

I switched out the pads at about 34k miles and the rotors were fine. Then again, I rarely brake :-}

Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

I’m tempted to consider switching them out, but mine only have a 1000km on them.

I kinda wonder if it might not partly be my washing technique or something. Not sure. I think I could deal with it more if I could wash the car and have it at least stay decent for at least a little while…You know, not the first drive and have it be that bad…lol…

What are some good aftermarket carbon ceramic brakes for these cars? Any suggestions?

I literally would only consider them for the no dust aspect. Don’t really need them otherwise, and I’m pretty sure they bring their own set of challenges with being loud and not being as suited for the street etc…Buddy of mine had some on his BMW M something or other SUV and said he would never have ceramic brakes again…

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 584 Likes on 402 Posts

"Dusty" performance pads are not only a Jaguar thing. I've installed ceramic low-dust pads on my other sports car too, as I was tired of cleaning them every 50 miles!

Yes, the stock F pads do grip suddenly at low speeds. I'm forever flattening the mat on our garage floor. I've even tried to park in the garage with the parking brake, only.

As others have stated, the best thing to do if you have stock pads is 1. use a ceramic wax on them so that the dust doesn't stick & 'burn in', and 2. buy a small California Duster such as the one in the link below, use that ONLY to remove brake dust.

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...ersuptmsup/830
Oh, and as I've said in the past, try not to use your brakes as much. "Brakes are for SISSIES!!!"

++++++++++++++

PS: Reports here are that stock rotors will easily last TWO sets of pads before they are less than spec for thickness.

Last edited by Carbuff2; Yesterday at 08:51 AM.