Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so Slow...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_E
Mmm. Never thought of the F Type as porky.
Ooooh....yes it is!

Old 02-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Buying a car based on 0 to 60 times is like finding a wife based on a bra size.
What's the other reason?

Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J444G
You need maximum weight on the driven axle. Thats why 911s are so fast 0-60 even with less power.
Mid-endgined C8 would have a advantage here over F-Type I guess.
Thats the usual argument. But Dragy has proven through zillions of 3D, ultra high speed, GPS verified uploads, accurate to better than 1/100th of a second, that that there is not a single rear or rear-mid-engine car on the top 50 leaderboard for 0-60, and only a few in the 50-100 leaderboard. The 1320 leaderboard is almost as bad for RME.

Who knew?

Maybe the BMW M8 that trounced two undamaged C8.Rs at 24 Hours at Daytona last weekend knew? First race. I know. But the #4 car finished 345 laps down. The faster #3 C8 was lapped (3.56 miles per lap) in less than an hour once the pace picked up around hour 22. So yes, only the first outing, but the first outing was a disaster for the new C8. They finished last place and 2nd to last place among undamaged cars. They didn't finish last "by a mile," but by 1250 miles.

I'm not ragging on the C8 (ok maybe a little) but I am dispelling rumors that rear engine is inherently faster. RME as a layout is not remotely competive, proven out beyond rational debate, across all straight line performance categories.

On the track, RME is competive but that depends on the track. On low speed tracks RME is most competitive. So as long as you keep it slow, RME is pretty fast. Well, as long as its turning.

The reason RME can't accelerate as fast in a straight line is simple, only when the front end raises off the ground is all the weight on the rear axle. Front/Front-mid-engine cars can laydown a lot more torque before that happens. That's why dragsters, which are not drivable "cars" have a 30 foot front cantilever and front wing.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-01-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't really care about driving 200+ mph for 24 hours.

Just miss the thrill of the acceleration G-forces, like being catapulted 0 - 160 in 2 seconds in your F-14...

Old 02-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Don't really care about driving 200+ mph for 24 hours.

Just miss the thrill of the acceleration G-forces, like being catapulted 0 - 160 in 2 seconds in your F-14...
The reason for Jag's listed 3.9 seconds is OEM All Season passenger tires.

The fastest verified F-Type on Dragy is AWD at 2.85 seconds 0-60 on MP4S tires.

Thats a mere 0.01 seconds faster than the fastest 2019 755 HP Corvette ZR1 on Cup 2s, but RWD.

I would rephrase the question from why so slow, to why all season OEM tires?

Last edited by RacerX; 02-01-2020 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jonathan Ivgi (10-05-2021)
Old 02-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sov211
In what kind of real world does a difference of one second in reaching 100kph from a stop matter?
The physics model online 0-60 calculators say a 550 HP car at the flywheel that weighs 3850 lbs with a normal automatic transmission should take 3.864 seconds. Increasing the HP until you subtract exactly 1 sec takes 820 HP. So 49% more HP is the difference.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Maybe the BMW M8 that trounced two undamaged C8.Rs at 24 Hours at Daytona last weekend knew? First race. I know. But the #4 car finished 345 laps down. The faster #3 C8 was lapped (3.56 miles per lap) in less than an hour once the pace picked up around hour 22. So yes, only the first outing, but the first outing was a disaster for the new C8. They finished last place and 2nd to last place among undamaged cars. They didn't finish last "by a mile," but by 1250 miles.
Race cars don't have anything in common with street cars other than their names.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:24 PM

The physics model online 0-60 calculators say a 550 HP car at the flywheel that weighs 3850 lbs with a normal automatic transmission should take 3.864 seconds. Increasing the HP until you subtract exactly 1 sec takes 820 HP. So 49% more HP is the difference.
Makes sense.
Even Car & Driver says: "...The Jaguar’s porky 4088-pound curb weight means it’s not as fleet as the less powerful...."

Let's not look a one-off vehicle, but at a fair comparison on both vehicles
equipped with orig factory tires

Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Race cars don't have anything in common with street cars other than their names.
The GTLM class has to be based on the production car with a V6 or V8 and tuned to 525 HP. The production C8 Z06 is rumored to be getting the same 5.5L V8 flat plane as the C8.R. They're not that far from the production cars which is why the series is interesting and relevant IMO. Why there are so few manufactures interested is strange, I think. I guess no one watches.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Makes sense.
Even Car & Driver says: "...The Jaguar’s porky 4088-pound curb weight means it’s not as fleet as the less powerful...."
I wonder if they'll say the same about the C8, which has the same 3650 curb weight and stock 495 HP as my 2014 V8 S.

Two key differences: The C8 gets OEM MP4S tires and is untunable due to GMs new encrypted digital architecture for the 2020 MY.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-01-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Three reasons.
1. The F-Type weighs a lot more than the C8, especially the V8 AWD vert which is the porkiest F-Type of the lot.
2. The "official" JLR figure for the F-Type is very conservative, with a true time in good conditions and a good driver probably closer to 3.5 seconds.
3. The 2.9 second for the C8 seems to me to be a bit optimistic and the true time is probably closer to 3.2 seconds.
Why did you leave the only reason that matters out, maximum traction at rear wheels.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I'd rather sacrifice a half second or more to keep the lovely slushbox transmission in the Jag. I have never driven a dual clutch that I have liked, and the ZF 8 speed is just about perfect for me.

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default reliable

I was looking forward for C8 convertible before buying the F-Type. But when I see the length, he get out of the race. 4,6m is mini-bus size. At home I have the garage place but outside it's a nogo here in a populated area. I could never user the car to make some shopping. I cannot understand as they were more decent with the C7.
Now, also this hardtop technology is very new for them, with 6 electric motors. They say, it should be more reliable as a hydraulic system. I am not sure about as I had never problems with hydraulics on Mercedes.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

The GTLM class has to be based on the production car with a V6 or V8 and tuned to 525 HP. The production C8 Z06 is rumored to be getting the same 5.5L V8 flat plane as the C8.R. They're not that far from the production cars which is why the series is interesting and relevant IMO. Why there are so few manufactures interested is strange, I think. I guess no one watches.
They aren't even remotely close. The engines aren't the same (the C8 and C8.R engines are NOT the exact same). The engine mounting locations are not the same (the Porsche RSR for example is a true mid-engine race car in which the street car is not). They are purpose built racing cars which must have production counterparts for their bodies to resemble but that's about as close as it gets.

Lastly, racing relies on BoP. If it didn't, it would just be the manufacturer who spends the most money. Since it was the C8.R main first appearance (obviously, they ran the ROAR), there will be adjustments by IMSA to the class to keep things even. It always happens that the first race of the season (Daytona) there will be one car dominate but they "fix it" after a few races. The BMW "race car" being faster in the "first race of a season" has zero to do with the street cars.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

The BMW "race car" being faster in the "first race of a season" has zero to do with the street cars.
Lets hope so. If the C8 Z06 was supposed to get the same 5.5L flatplane crank engine, that plan needs further review. Here's hoping the C8 race cars finish better than 5 miles and 1260 miles behind next time out.

The relevant point for the F-Type is front engine is still the fastest layout, despite Chevy's claim that the front engine layout was taken "as far as it could go." The front engine BMW winning so convincingly over the MRE field was probably worse for the C8 than finishing in last place. If it was a tight race between Porsche, Ferrari, and the C8 and an MRE car won and the C8 lost, at least it would have fit Chevy's marketing narrative.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-02-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Lets hope so. If the C8 Z06 was supposed to get the same 5.5L flatplane crank engine, that plan needs further review. Here's hoping the C8 race cars finish better than 5 miles and 1260 miles behind next time out.

The relevant point for the F-Type is front engine is still the fastest layout, despite Chevy's claim that the front engine layout was taken "as far as it could go." The front engine BMW winning so convincingly over the MRE field was probably worse for the C8 than finishing in last place. If it was a tight race between Porsche, Ferrari, and the C8 and an MRE car won and the C8 lost, at least it would have fit Chevy's marketing narrative.
Again, racing has zero to do with 0-60 times. Also, race cars aren't even geared for 0-60 racing. It's a proven fact that more rearward weight helps traction at the rear. That's proven and physics. This is why cars with less horsepower can produce very good 0-60 times. However, top speed is all about horsepower. For example, you can add some sticky tires to a Alfa 4C and add some power (bump it to say 320hp) to it and have some incredible 0-60 times. However, it will get trounced in a highway race as it will still not have 700 hp (weight is not material for top speed, horsepower and CoD is).

The other benefit of mid-engine mounting is that is balances the weight without having to do chassis tricks. This allows using less tire and better wear. For racing, that is why the Corvette had to go mid-engine as it just couldn't handle the long racing stints with tires like the Ferrari. Same with Porsche, that's why they created the mid-engine RSR' tire wear. There is no question if mid-engine is the better platform. The main issue with mid-engine platforms is that it greatly increases costs. GM being able to deliver this platform at the price it's coming, is extremely impressive. However, this is coming at a cost of weight. It's not going to be light. Lighter materials would increase the costs and would put the platform out of the reach of the majority of their demographic.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Banned

Again, racing has zero to do with 0-60 times. Also, race cars aren't even geared for 0-60 racing. It's a proven fact that more rearward weight helps traction at the rear. That's proven and physics. This is why cars with less horsepower can produce very good 0-60 times. However, top speed is all about horsepower. For example, you can add some sticky tires to a Alfa 4C and add some power (bump it to say 320hp) to it and have some incredible 0-60 times. However, it will get trounced in a highway race as it will still not have 700 hp (weight is not material for top speed, horsepower and CoD is).

The other benefit of mid-engine mounting is that is balances the weight without having to do chassis tricks. This allows using less tire and better wear. For racing, that is why the Corvette had to go mid-engine as it just couldn't handle the long racing stints with tires like the Ferrari. Same with Porsche, that's why they created the mid-engine RSR' tire wear. There is no question if mid-engine is the better platform. The main issue with mid-engine platforms is that it greatly increases costs. GM being able to deliver this platform at the price it's coming, is extremely impressive. However, this is coming at a cost of weight. It's not going to be light. Lighter materials would increase the costs and would put the platform out of the reach of the majority of their demographic.
Yep, the base C8 comes at a 20% premium over the C7, and up it goes from there to over $100K with the base motor. Personally, I think the crazy price tags will be the archilles heel of what could have been a marketing success.

​​​​​​As to RME being faster, the data is in. Dragy's enormous database has, perhaps unexpectedly, proven that rear and rear mid-engine cars are not competitive in the 0-60 wars. 50 of the top 50 leaderboard of highspeed GPS 3D verified 0-60 runs are front engine cars. 1320 times are much the same.

That isn't to say R/RME cars can't produce very fast 0-60 times, just that F/FME as a layout is inherently faster.

The Nissan GT-R clearly has the formula as it completely dominates Dragy leaderboards across all perfomance categories. Hats off to Nissan for producing the world's only true and verified supercar.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-02-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know why you keep bringing up Dragy. That is not the source of the world. 90% of the world have never heard of Dragy nor have they sold that many units to make them any sort of truth for performance. That's like saying everything Wikipedia is always the truth. The people who use Dragy are those who want to compared their p*nis size with the rest of the world. I can tell you I don't know a single person who owns or uses one.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Great video.
So there it is, that's what I was looking for: Potential Max Acceleration G-Forces of the Vette: 0.99 G's
Anyone know what is it for the F-type R?

Old 02-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

With an F-Type you could even reach over 30 G's under the right conditions.

Quick Reply: Why so Slow...?