F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are there so many F-Types on the used car market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Why are there so many F-Types on the used car market?

There are currently 133, 2014 F-Types on Cars.com

Why are there so many out there? I did the same search for a 2014 Porsche Boxster & there are only 103. Given the total sales of Boxsters is probably greater then F-Types, one must assume there would be more Boxsters on the used market. But the opposite seems to be the case. I'm sure there are lots of reasons -- a major one being the Freshman Blues -- but I'm curious as to what people think.

My reason for asking is bc I'm seriously considering a (used) 2014 F-Type S to replace my 2008 Porsche Boxster S. (This is my 2nd Boxster S -- my first being a 2003.) Don't get me wrong, I love the Boxster with it's mid-engine platform. But I want to change things up a little bit for a few years.

I drive many, many miles for work & have racked-up +50k miles on my Boxster in the last 2.5 years. I'll be doing the same with the F-Type. I don't want to get myself into a situation where the car will be constantly in the shop or I'll be broken down in the middle of no where numerous times. Of course, that is possible with any vehicle. But, with the law of averages, will this be more likely with the F-Type over other vehicles in the same segment?

Are owners getting out of their F-Type bc of mechanical issues or bc the car hasn't lived up to their expectations in some way?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

It's a new model, so there might be many demo-cars for sale?

Just a thought....

Old 08-15-2015, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Because Jaguar dropped the villians commercials due to political correctness!

EDIT: upon reflection - and at 12:28 PM and not 4:00 AM - I have determined that I am not qualified to opine a guess why there are so many used F-Types. (And I am perfectly fine with that...nor does the question concern me).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-15-2015 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
F-TypeRookie (08-18-2015), Schwabe (08-17-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 04:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are these used dealer sales our used private sales?

I know Jaguar has been pushing leases, so they might just be lease returns.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

Hmm. When I bought my 2014 last January, there weren't many to be found. In fact, there were none at the 2 dealers in my area. I ended up buying from a dealer in DC. Mine was a trade-in for a coupe and there probably are a number of those cases where early adopters had to wait for the hardtop to be released and/or manual transmission.

I did a search just now and only found 5 within 100 miles of me (also in the Carolinas). Two of those were "Executive Loaners" at a Jag dealer in Greensboro. Expanding the search to 200 miles only raised the count to 6.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by uncheel
I did a search just now and only found 5 within 100 miles of me (also in the Carolinas). Two of those were "Executive Loaners" at a Jag dealer in Greensboro. Expanding the search to 200 miles only raised the count to 6.
Distance is relative to me. As I said in my OP, I drive A LOT for work. I even got my 2003 Boxster in MN when I was living in NY. Flew out there one-way to drive it home. A search within 250 mile radius of me yielded 15 F-Types. To get a good bargain, I'm willing to fly-out well beyond the immediate area to drive it home.

Again, I'm just wondering if there's something about the F-Type that's made owners skittish? Are there any known mechanical problems that plague the vehicle? (As a 2-time Boxster owner, I know the 2 major issues the first 2.5 gens suffers from.)

Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by alikkon
I know Jaguar has been pushing leases, so they might just be lease returns.
I thought that as well. But these are 2014's so I don't see them being only 2-year leases. Leases are usually 3-5 years, no?

Some have very high miles for a 2-year old car. That might make sense as a lease return if the owner gave it up before the lease period expired bc they were going to be over-mileage for the lease?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default now that's a good question

Sonny 2: "Given the total sales of Boxsters is probably greater then F-Types, one must assume there would be more Boxsters on the used market. But the opposite seems to be the case."

Probably? Most certainly. Just off the top of my head, around 5 times greater (to be corrected by those in the know). Also, the F-Type has only been around a couple years, whereas the Boxster debuted a couple decades ago. So there should be massively more used Boxsters on the market. All of which makes those used car figures even more puzzling.

RickyJay52: "My take is that being this is Jaguar's first true sports car in 40 years, the F-Type is still quite new — and, to some extent, still undiscovered — to the market place. Add the fact that their past reputation might be considered spotty (think Lucas et. al.)…"

That would explain the skittishness of initial buyers of new cars. What's the relevance to sonny2's question re: number of used cars on the market?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

post deleted.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 08-15-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

There is already a thread listing the things we don't like about our F-types. I suppose one could connect the dots and surmise that some buyers find those issues serious enough to merit changing vehicles.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Probably? Most certainly. Just off the top of my head, around 5 times greater (to be corrected by those in the know). Also, the F-Type has only been around a couple years, whereas the Boxster debuted a couple decades ago. So there should be massively more used Boxsters on the market. All of which makes those used car figures even more puzzling.
Keep in mind we're only talking about one model year here, not the used population as a whole.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

There's a certain number of folks that like getting into a different sportscar every year or two. With the intro of the F-Type just a couple years ago, a larger percentage of those types of buyers, perhaps, would have targeted the F-Type for purchase. They are now moving on (perhaps to try out the AWD or the MT). Just a WAG. 134 used cars is still less than 3 MY '14 per state. I don't think one can come to any statistically significant conclusion that people are baling out of F-Types faster than any other marque/model.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
There is already a thread listing the things we don't like about our F-types. I suppose one could connect the dots and surmise that some buyers find those issues serious enough to merit changing vehicles.
Granted, there are always things about their vehicles people don't like. But I'm more concerned about the possibility of mechanical unreliability. Have there been any known mechanical issues for the car making people skittish after a year or 2 of ownership? Or, as someone else said, is it bc people have the perceived possibility of mechanical unreliability based on Jag's record with their older vehicles?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny2
Granted, there are always things about their vehicles people don't like. But I'm more concerned about the possibility of mechanical unreliability. Have there been any known mechanical issues for the car making people skittish after a year or 2 of ownership? Or, as someone else said, is it bc people have the perceived possibility of mechanical unreliability based on Jag's record with their older vehicles?
Not that I am aware of in the U.S. There have been a few V6 engine fires in Europe. The car is very complicated and there are software issues that require updates on some cars, or maybe all cars if the dealers were paying attention. Parts availability is spotty. You will get your parts sooner or later. I have had two 2014 V8 F-Types for a combined 25,000 miles without any serious mechanical issues. One recall for air bag wiring, one software update in the charging system. I did replace the battery as a precaution on the car I am in now but the dealer said it was unnecessary. The worst aspects of the car IMHO are lack of interior and trunk space.

The following users liked this post:
sonny2 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Keep in mind we're only talking about one model year here, not the used population as a whole.
I should have read more carefully. OP's search compared MY14. His figures are still puzzling.

The following users liked this post:
sonny2 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Why are there so many out there? I did the same search for a 2014 Porsche Boxster & there are only 103. Given the total sales of Boxsters is probably greater then F-Types, one must assume there would be more Boxsters on the used market. ...

You are incorrect... (US Sales numbers...)

New F-Types sold through July ... 2577 (all varieties)
New Cayman sold through July ... 1918
New Boxters sold through July ... 1808

If you'd break F-Types up into Coupes and Convertibles, I would assume there are more Boxters sold than Convertible F-Types (but possibly not)

Data from...

July 2015 YTD U.S. Vehicle Sales Rankings - Top 280 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

The following 2 users liked this post by TXJagR:
Foosh (08-16-2015), sonny2 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't let that influence your decision as long as you buy it for the right price. Having a lot available does not diminish how awesome of a vehicle it is. It may only reduce its resale which you can possibly take advantage of! Its a fun drive after your 2008 Boxster.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Why are there so many out there? I did the same search for a 2014 Porsche Boxster & there are only 103. Given the total sales of Boxsters is probably greater then F-Types, one must assume there would be more Boxsters on the used market. But the opposite seems to be the case. I'm sure there are lots of reasons -- a major one being the Freshman Blues -- but I'm curious as to what people think.

My reason for asking is bc I'm seriously considering a (used) 2014 F-Type S to replace my 2008 Porsche Boxster S. (This is my 2nd Boxster S -- my first being a 2003.) Don't get me wrong, I love the Boxster with it's mid-engine platform. But I want to change things up a little bit for a few years.

I drive many, many miles for work & have racked-up +50k miles on my Boxster in the last 2.5 years. I'll be doing the same with the F-Type. I don't want to get myself into a situation where the car will be constantly in the shop or I'll be broken down in the middle of no where numerous times. Of course, that is possible with any vehicle. But, with the law of averages, will this be more likely with the F-Type over other vehicles in the same segment?

Are owners getting out of their F-Type bc of mechanical issues or bc the car hasn't lived up to their expectations in some way?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
A lot of people buy and change luxury sports cars a lot. Many of the people who buy these have lots of disposable income and drive sports cars for fun. Not everyone is on a 3 year lease.

I know people who moved from F-Type, to AMG-GT, and will then go to Audi R8. You drive whatever is new.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

If there were serious mechanical issues we would have heard about them here. Nothing travels the internet faster than bad news. I've done 15K miles in the last 9 months with no serious mechanical issues. My issues are build quality and if JLR does not come through soon you can add me to the list of owners to ditch their vehicle.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 PM

RawwR, what build quality issues are you talking about? If we're differentiating "mechanical" problems from "build quality" problems, I'm just curious about what build quality issues would not have been obvious before you bought the car?

Quick Reply: Why are there so many F-Types on the used car market?