F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are there so many F-Types on the used car market?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

There's a dealer group in SoCal that puts their new F Types on the used car sites but they have never been sold. They may start the warranty to call them used. I called them when I was in the market and the cars were always referred to as new.

Old 08-16-2015 | 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
There's a dealer group in SoCal that puts their new F Types on the used car sites but they have never been sold. They may start the warranty to call them used. I called them when I was in the market and the cars were always referred to as new.
If the dealer is selling them as used they have been reported as sold to Jaguar & the warranty clock has started The problem is that most times these cars will not qualify for new car programs, such as JCNA discount. I am pretty sure you can't lease them either. The industry term for these cars is "ghosts" they have been reported as sold but really not. Ghosts & service loaner cars make up for quite a significant number of the cars reported as sold each month. Jaguar usually gives the dealers a financial incentive to do this so you should be able to get a good deal.

Old 08-17-2015 | 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
If the dealer is selling them as used they have been reported as sold to Jaguar & the warranty clock has started The problem is that most times these cars will not qualify for new car programs, such as JCNA discount. I am pretty sure you can't lease them either. The industry term for these cars is "ghosts" they have been reported as sold but really not. Ghosts & service loaner cars make up for quite a significant number of the cars reported as sold each month. Jaguar usually gives the dealers a financial incentive to do this so you should be able to get a good deal.
I bought a ghost Touareg for 46,000 against a 58,000 sticker. It was about five months into the next model year and had less than 200 miles on it when I picked it up. Felt like I stole the car, and I still have it now.

Old 08-17-2015 | 08:46 AM

For Jaguar ... the cars still qualify for all of the incentives and leases. The dealers get a pretty hefty cash incentive from corporate on their demo cars.

Dealers are allotted so many demo cars based on their volume and cannot sell the cars for 28(?) days after punching it as a demo. The warranty does start when they punch the car, but you will receive an extended warranty.

Often when you see a dealer offering a very low sales price / lease deal on a specific car that is "new" this is how they get there.

Old 08-17-2015 | 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
For Jaguar ... the cars still qualify for all of the incentives and leases. The dealers get a pretty hefty cash incentive from corporate on their demo cars.

Dealers are allotted so many demo cars based on their volume and cannot sell the cars for 28(?) days after punching it as a demo. The warranty does start when they punch the car, but you will receive an extended warranty.

Often when you see a dealer offering a very low sales price / lease deal on a specific car that is "new" this is how they get there.
I would like to know the source of your information as most is incorrect.

Jaguar has not had a demo program in years. They do at times offer dealers incentive money for cars to be reported. The programs are always changing. The warranty is NEVER extended on any of the programs. The issue is that some of the cars do not qualify for new car programs. I have seen some where the car has to sit for 30 days others where they have to be registered. The other issue is dealers had 2014 F Types on the lot when the 2016 cars arrived. You may want to verify some of your information. It may apply to other manufacturers but not Jaguar.

Old 08-17-2015 | 08:41 PM

I would like to know the source of your information as most is incorrect.

Jaguar has not had a demo program in years. They do at times offer dealers incentive money for cars to be reported. The programs are always changing. The warranty is NEVER extended on any of the programs. The issue is that some of the cars do not qualify for new car programs. I have seen some where the car has to sit for 30 days others where they have to be registered. The other issue is dealers had 2014 F Types on the lot when the 2016 cars arrived. You may want to verify some of your information. It may apply to other manufacturers but not Jaguar.
I received the same information from 3 different dealers in 3 different states when I was shopping for my F-Type. I was looking exclusively at purchasing a new F-Type that was punched as an executive demo car.

FWIW, I probably got the best deal at the time, (maybe even still today?) on a new 2015 R Coupe.

Old 08-17-2015 | 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

I received the same information from 3 different dealers in 3 different states when I was shopping for my F-Type. I was looking exclusively at purchasing a new F-Type that was punched as an executive demo car.

FWIW, I probably got the best deal at the time, (maybe even still today?) on a new 2015 R Coupe.
Factory demos or MSO cars are not the "GHOSTS" I was speaking of. They were driven as company cars, show or ride n drive events etc. It depends on what it was used for as to if the warranty has started. The cars may also qualify for new car rates but on most the warranty clock has started. These cars are not something you would lease as they have miles on them & that effects the payment.

Old 08-17-2015 | 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Did you have a pin number?????

Old 08-18-2015 | 01:05 AM

Factory demos or MSO cars are not the "GHOSTS" I was speaking of. They were driven as company cars, show or ride n drive events etc. It depends on what it was used for as to if the warranty has started. The cars may also qualify for new car rates but on most the warranty clock has started. These cars are not something you would lease as they have miles on them & that effects the payment.
Lease residuals are higher on the newest car you can find which will lower the lease payment but make the car higher priced at the end of you want to keep it. Not much point in paying for depreciation that has already occurred on a leftover car if you are turning it in at the end of a lease. If you're buying it or keeping it after a lease then by all means get a discounted leftover. They do offer very low rates on these cars a couple of times a year.

Old 08-18-2015 | 08:27 AM

Did you have a pin number?????
no