F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is the value dropping so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default why is the value dropping so fast?

Just as the title says. Seeing v6s for 57k and v8s for 68k. What's going on?

Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by apexhunter
Just as the title says. Seeing v6s for 57k and v8s for 68k. What's going on?

JLR vehicles are always like this.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Yup, thankfully.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

My last two cars, a VW Touareg V8 and a Mercedes CLK 500 Cabriolet, both depreciated just as fast as I expect the Jaguar will. Luxury cars just do that.

As for why - A couple of years ago there was a psychological study that attempted to quantify the issue. The study found that the uncertainty of potential future repair costs creates fear in buyers which gets over represented in the prices they will offer. The conclusion was that buyers with more information about actual repair issues and accordingly, less unjustified fear, can get a great value in the used market. If the cars were more reliable and/or cheaper to fix, the values would hold up better.

As a practical matter, being stuck in the VW didn't bother me as much since I loved the car. I wanted out of the Mercedes for years. What a piece of crap that one was. Never again.

Thankfully, I love the Jag, so being upside down in value is no big deal. It isn't a loss until you sell it, which may be a long, long time from now on this one.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Have taken a bath on every new car I have purchased in the last 20 years, Land Rover, BMW etc. that's why I bought my F- Type 12 months old, I let someone else take the first bit of bath, hopefully now just a shower for me at the end.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It is true that cars in this price bracket tend to drop like rocks. The F-Type seems to be no different than any Mercedes, Audi, or BMW I've owned, with the exception of M3s, which have always done pretty well. The 5- and 7-series cars just plummet. 911s also seem to hang in well.

However, it may come as a shock to some that the best resale value I've seen in the recent past has been with Corvettes, particularly the Z06. Corvette average depreciation is 8% per year, vs. 12-15% on almost everything else. There is a very high demand in the US for pre-owned Corvettes.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
particularly the Z06. Corvette average depreciation is 8% per year,
Try selling one. Asking price (internet) does not reflect sales price. They just don't sell anywhere near asking.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by allenman85
Try selling one. Asking price (internet) does not reflect sales price. They just don't sell anywhere near asking.
I did try, and I did sell a C6 Z06 for what I was looking for. It's by far the best I've done on any late model vehicle.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Jeeps actually hold their value well. My brother was looking for the 4 door version for his son. After about 2 months of looking, he went and bought a new one. The price of the used ones were nearly as much as the new with less warranty.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is true that cars in this price bracket tend to drop like rocks. The F-Type seems to be no different than any Mercedes, Audi, or BMW I've owned, with the exception of M3s, which have always done pretty well. The 5- and 7-series cars just plummet. 911s also seem to hang in well. However, it may come as a shock to some that the best resale value I've seen in the recent past has been with Corvettes, particularly the Z06. Corvette average depreciation is 8% per year, vs. 12-15% on almost everything else. There is a very high demand in the US for pre-owned Corvettes.
Hmm maybe I should switch out. I am test driving a Corvette this Friday.

What you say doesn't surprise me because Corvettes are great value for money and cheap to maintain.

The reason ten Jag depreciates so much is because it is over priced. I think Jaguar overpriced the F Type by about 15k. I think the price of an R model should be at most $10-15k more than a comparably equipped M4. The Chassis isn't good enough to warrant more of a premium than that.

We new buyers don't care - we love the exclusivity and the looks. But a used buyer would look at the performance stats and choose the BMW unless both are closer in price.

In the absence of pricing competitively, Jaguar should restrict supply like Porsche does with the 911. The fact that there are a lot of unsold 15 F Types on the lots doesn't help.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Segment/class is a large factor. In general, luxury sports cars depreciate a lot. There are a couple of notable exceptions, but as a rule luxury cars depreciate like crazy. Then factor in that it's a sports car. Two seater, not much trunk space, not very practical = niche market. Convertibles depreciate the worst (in general).

Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-TypeRookie
Jeeps actually hold their value well. My brother was looking for the 4 door version for his son. After about 2 months of looking, he went and bought a new one. The price of the used ones were nearly as much as the new with less warranty.
If you're talking about the "real" Jeep (Wrangler), they certainly do. I'm on my 5th right now (2012), and I've always done really well selling them.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot

In the absence of pricing competitively, Jaguar should restrict supply like Porsche does with the 911. The fact that there are a lot of unsold 15 F Types on the lots doesn't help.
If JLR is worried about values, I 100% agree. The left overs and factory incentives is a big reason of what brings prices down as dealers negotiate more and more to move older vehicles. I bought my R coupe last month at over 20% off MSRP. This is a big reason why the AMG cars depreciate so quickly.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

You buy a car to enjoy, not for resale value IMO. I see all high end cars depreciate fast. Less expensive cars depreciate less, but they also cost less $ to begin with. Sometimes it's just the price you pay to drive it new. I know someone who leases Mercedes AMG's, and their residual values are 50% at the end of less than 3 years.

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
You buy a car to enjoy, not for resale value IMO. I see all high end cars depreciate fast. Less expensive cars depreciate less, but they also cost less $ to begin with. Sometimes it's just the price you pay to drive it new. I know someone who leases Mercedes AMG's, and their residual values are 50% at the end of less than 3 years.
High depreciation is the reason I ALMOST bought a slightly used McLaren MP4-12C... The car was in my price range, but I opted for the new F-Type R instead.

Ultimately, I usually buy a car and drive it until the wheels fall off. The only way I care about depreciation is if it puts a higher priced used car into my price range.

Last edited by TXJagR; 04-13-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
High depreciation is the reason I ALMOST bought a slightly used McLaren MP4-12C... The car was in my price range, but I opted for the new F-Type R instead.

Ultimately, I usually but a car and drive it until the wheels fall off. The only way I care about depreciation is if it puts a higher priced used car into my price range.
The guy I know that leases the AMG's abuses the hell out of them. He said since he's not keeping them he doesn't care. That alone would make me apprehensive about getting a lease return.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Ultimately, I usually but a car and drive it until the wheels fall off. The only way I care about depreciation is if it puts a higher priced used car into my price range.
+1. And on many the wheels never fall off.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I sold an R53 Mini at 9 years old for £6.5k. Slightly more than 1/3rd of the on the road price when new.

Jaguar Finance in the UK were offering Leases on F Type Coupes last summer with GMFV at 3 years of close to £30k against an on the road price of £55k.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Try owning a '14 Maserati Ghibli! Lessoned learned, bought F Type @ 10 months and 4k at remarkable savings! I think a lot of traditional Jag buyers jumped on them and then found out what a real sports car is like to live with every day, especially with Pirelli tires and performance seats. Same reason there is always a lot of low mileage Porsches for sale. Great idea on Sat. not so great in traffic on Mon.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

No, no, no. They are EPIC in the Monday Traffic Jam. It's the occasional Saturday drivers who sell after scaring themselves silly.

Quick Reply: why is the value dropping so fast?