F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wifi Connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022 | 12:27 PM
|
Default Wifi Connection

I have a 2019 F Type and the infotainment is updated to the latest 21B level... but the vehicle connectivity does not show any level... just a blank. Reason I ask is my car does now allow connection to my iphone hotspot for wifi or connect to my home wifi... Is my vehicle connectivity downlevel or was this function not available for the 2019... Thanks

Old 01-10-2024 | 06:49 AM
Default No WIFI connection possible

Hello, I have a similar problem with my 2019 XF Sportbrake
- I can not connect any wifi source
- I can not activate the wifi on my car
- The car does NOT recognize my SIM card
- The problem is NOT the module where you insert your sim card and connect your USB keys (usb key with music does work) because I have replaced it (270€) and nothing had changed
- Remote via Jaguar app DOES work (via phone)
So, is this a software problem? Is this a cable or WIFI module problem?
Should you come across ideas, answers, plse help...
thx

Old 01-10-2024 | 07:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Have you tried a different SIM card? I've had issues in the past where a once working card suddenly refused to work. It subsequently worked fine in a phone, and a new SIM card worked fine in the car.

BTW, the word you need is "cannot" (an inability to be able do something), not "can not" (an abilty to choose not to do something). If this confuses you, "cannot" will almost always be correct. English lesson over

Last edited by scm; 01-10-2024 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2024 | 07:13 AM

Hi, yes I tried other sim cards. I am pretty much convinced it is not the sim card(s) because when I want to pair the car to an outside wifi (such as my phone), I get the standard message "data usage may blablblbablbla costs", then I say "OK" and then immediately, the WIFI switches off (actually it never turned on).
The Jaguar dealer put my car on the diagnostics, and they stopped at the first step: the interface in the console in (between the two front seats), but that did not change a thing....

Old 01-10-2024 | 09:17 AM

The ability to connect your F-Type to home WiFi or to create an in-vehicle hotspot depends on the WiFi hardware/antenna being fitted to the vehicle. Although the MY18 cars onward were fitted with the 10.2" screen and updated software, this didn't automatically come with the WiFi hardware. The generic text in the User Manual doesn't always reflect the specific vehicle functionality, so difficult to figure out whether you have a fault or a hardware shortfall. To check your vehicle, go to Settings > All Settings > Connectivity Scroll down to "About" and tap. The Jaguar installed SIM card for in-control services IMEI number will be displayed. IF you have the WiFi hardware installed, the MAC address for the WiFi adapter will also be displayed. No MAC address = no WiFi functionality. See linked thread from UK Forum that makes reference to this topic --> WiFi Hotspot

Another way to check for WiFi functionality is to look for WiFi settings under Connectivity, see extract below from In-Control Set Up Guide. If you don't have the WiFi menu item, the functionality is not installed. As WiFi connectivity was never available as a user option, I can only assume it was a region/build date criteria that determined whether it was fitted at production. It would be interesting to know if the final gen vehicles from MY20 have this functionality.

Last edited by genp729; 01-10-2024 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2024 | 09:22 AM

Hello, thank you for your reply, but I do have all the necessary hardware because it worked for about 3 years. Then suddenly, I noticed that my sim card was sometimes recognized, sometimes not. At a certain point it did not recognize my sim card at all and there were no more wifi possibilities (so no connecting to external wifi source possible). So something degraded over time... I just don't know what...

Old 01-10-2024 | 10:02 AM

Is your car still on the 3G system? If so, that system in the US is changing to 4G and I had to upgrade my 2018 FTR to the 4G telematics module to get my wifi to work. If I remember correctly, look at the upper right hand corner of the radio display to see if you read 3G or 4G.....good luck.

Old 01-10-2024 | 10:08 AM

This might help -- also see post #4 in this thread for further details.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...pdates-273364/

Old 01-10-2024 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dillweed
Is your car still on the 3G system? If so, that system in the US is changing to 4G and I had to upgrade my 2018 FTR to the 4G telematics module to get my wifi to work. If I remember correctly, look at the upper right hand corner of the radio display to see if you read 3G or 4G.....good luck.
This is a likely culprit. 3G was sunsetted almost everywhere and some of the modems were not capable of supporting 4G or newer communications. Some modules, depending on age and version, can receive an update to support 4G (and the SIM card needs to support it at well), whereas some cannot be updated.

The remote app works on a separate embedded modem and SIM that operates on 2G which is currently still viable (for now).

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 01-10-2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2024 | 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
This is a likely culprit. 3G was sunsetted almost everywhere and some of the modems were not capable of supporting 4G or newer communications. Some modules, depending on age and version, can receive an update to support 4G (and the SIM card needs to support it at well), whereas some cannot be updated.

The remote app works on a separate embedded modem and SIM that operates on 2G which is currently still viable (for now).
No, that is not it either, because I saw it working on 4G....., besides that has nothing to do with the fact that the WIFI (connection to external wifi source) will not work. But good thinking though...

Old 01-10-2024 | 12:48 PM

Then I concur it very likely could be this. Neither my MY18 nor MY23 had the ability to connect to an external WiFi hotspot. The cars could *become* a hotspot and share connectivity through the SIM card, but they could not utilize an external hotspot for their own connectivity.

Originally Posted by genp729
The ability to connect your F-Type to home WiFi or to create an in-vehicle hotspot depends on the WiFi hardware/antenna being fitted to the vehicle. Although the MY18 cars onward were fitted with the 10.2" screen and updated software, this didn't automatically come with the WiFi hardware. The generic text in the User Manual doesn't always reflect the specific vehicle functionality, so difficult to figure out whether you have a fault or a hardware shortfall. To check your vehicle, go to Settings > All Settings > Connectivity Scroll down to "About" and tap. The Jaguar installed SIM card for in-control services IMEI number will be displayed. IF you have the WiFi hardware installed, the MAC address for the WiFi adapter will also be displayed. No MAC address = no WiFi functionality. See linked thread from UK Forum that makes reference to this topic --> WiFi Hotspot

Another way to check for WiFi functionality is to look for WiFi settings under Connectivity, see extract below from In-Control Set Up Guide. If you don't have the WiFi menu item, the functionality is not installed. As WiFi connectivity was never available as a user option, I can only assume it was a region/build date criteria that determined whether it was fitted at production. It would be interesting to know if the final gen vehicles from MY20 have this functionality.

Old 01-11-2024 | 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Then I concur it very likely could be this. Neither my MY18 nor MY23 had the ability to connect to an external WiFi hotspot. The cars could *become* a hotspot and share connectivity through the SIM card, but they could not utilize an external hotspot for their own connectivity.
No, as I mentionned before, all of that worked before, but at a certain point, it did not anymore.... So, the hardware is present, it worked with 4G, I was able to use an external WIFI source, I was able to make a car WIFI network through my sim card, etc..... And now it does not anymore. It simply won't allow me to turn on.

Old 01-11-2024 | 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lucifer65
No, as I mentionned before, all of that worked before, but at a certain point, it did not anymore.... So, the hardware is present, it worked with 4G, I was able to use an external WIFI source, I was able to make a car WIFI network through my sim card, etc..... And now it does not anymore. It simply won't allow me to turn on.
Well then I would definitely be suspicious of a telematics control module failure or something similar.

Old 01-12-2024 | 10:28 AM
Default Just a question

Does this problem have anything to do with the Telematics battery? Just wondering. So much electronic gear in these cars.. and other electronic issues due to the car's main battery being weak or close to being weak.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nt-how-275525/

Old 01-12-2024 | 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

WIFI does not relate to the SIM. My MY17 F-Pace doesn't even have a SIM (removed), but does WIFI with my house or phone.

Old 09-01-2024 | 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lucifer65
Hi, what happened to your Wifi problem?

I have the exact same problem with an 2019 E-Pace in Germany since about 2 weeks.

Wifi/connectivity doesn‘t work anymore.

IMEI and MAC Address fields are empty.
Already pulled and inserted the Sim several times.

Cannot connect to the hotspot of my iPhone. The car can‘t find any wifi networks.

Apple Carplay is still working. The USB Ports are working as well.

Sometimes I can't get into the Settings menu. The symbol with the two cogwheels. If I press it, nothing happens. I then have to leave the vehicle, lock it and wait.

Last software update was in 2022.

InControl subscription is valid.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2024 | 04:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Does your SIM still work in a regular phone?

Old 09-01-2024 | 06:25 AM

I tried it with an old Huawei mobile network device yesterday. That thing told me „no network“. But that thing is at least 10 years old.

The card is to big for all my celly 🤪

At least I can connect to the cars Wifi network, but no internet connection then.