F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM
SMc
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Caliper covers after what I paid for the red painted units? I don't think so :-)

I've switch pads for a noticeable improvement on other cars, but other posts lead me to believe there's a noticeable tradeoff in braking on the F type (and WOW does this thing stop good). I like the McGuire's idea and far cheaper than swapping wheels, next on my list

Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My traded SLK55 gave out a lot of dust at 14k miles but nothing like the Jag! I'm going to coat with wheel wax as I've done before, might give 3 days of acceptable!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Kind of bringing this thread back from the dead, but it's on topic for a question that I have. I hate dirty wheels. My current BMW 435i pours dust like crazy. I considering purchasing an F-Type, but the brake dust issue is holding me back. Are any pads available on the market to address this issue (even if they sacrifice some performance)? I looked around the internet, but couldn't find anything.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Thanks for bringing this back, and I'm listening intently. About a year ago, several of us did an exhaustive search and came up empty. There were very good non-dusting pads available for other Jaguars at the time, but they didn't fit the F-Type.

I've owned 8 BMWs, and they were all horrible. The F-Type is just as bad, and it doesn't get any better over time.

The only saving grace is that I buy Sonax Wheel Cleaner by the gallon on Amazon, and it is amazing. Spray on, let sit, and hose off, and it removes 99% of it inside and out without brushing. Just a little brushing results in brand new condition.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

The dust has got a lot better over time. It now takes several weeks to get the wheels dirty, rather than a couple of days...

Old 09-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

The brakes get a pretty hard workout as engine braking is minimal with the ZF auto box. I feel the compound of the pads is quite soft, resulting in lots of dust as we all see.

It does seem to get better after a couple elf thousand miles once the turned ridges from manufacture have worn of the disks.

I have the blades, which are Grey and CF. They hide the dust well and allow me to get inside the wheel with a damp MF cloth easily. I treated the wheels to a coat of gTechnic wheel sealant and use the occasional IronX to remove any contaminants. The water beads well and it makes removing the dust a breeze. I find using good old Lemon Fresh Pledge gives a nice barrier too!

The main problem I find with my car is static, it seems to attract the dust/crap more than anything else. It might be something to do with a full PPF wrap, I'm not sure.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Kind of bringing this thread back from the dead, but it's on topic for a question that I have. I hate dirty wheels. My current BMW 435i pours dust like crazy. I considering purchasing an F-Type, but the brake dust issue is holding me back. Are any pads available on the market to address this issue (even if they sacrifice some performance)? I looked around the internet, but couldn't find anything.
Good afternoon Bret_T.

Forgive me for saying so, but are you seriously holding back on purchasing [this splendid stunning automobile] because of brake dust???

I certainly agree with you that I too hate dirty wheels, but after 10+ months of ownership of a V6S - and plenty of stopping - I have never ever found it excessive or found it difficult in the least to quickly clean them with a little spray detailer or even the quickest wipe with no cleaner at all.

I for one would never let a little (or even a lot; and that hasn't been my experience) brake dust stopping me from buying an F-Type.

IN MY OPINION.

Best regards,
Jay

The following users liked this post:
F-TypeRookie (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Wow . . . impressions are all over the map. Mine's no better at 7K miles, and they are noticeably covered in black dust after 3 days. I tried the coatings and that didn't make a noticeable difference.

I suppose it depends upon whether you're on the highway all the time with minimal braking or spend a lot of time in stop and go city traffic. A lot of my miles are the latter.

However, with Sonax, they are equally easy to clean, coating or no coating.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
The only saving grace is that I buy Sonax Wheel Cleaner by the gallon on Amazon, and it is amazing. Spray on, let sit, and hose off, and it removes 99% of it inside and out without brushing. Just a little brushing results in brand new condition.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order it right now and give it a try this weekend.

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Good afternoon Bret_T.

Forgive me for saying so, but are you seriously holding back on purchasing [this splendid stunning automobile] because of brake dust???

I certainly agree with you that I too hate dirty wheels, but after 10+ months of ownership of a V6S - and plenty of stopping - I have never ever found it excessive or found it difficult in the least to quickly clean them with a little spray detailer or even the quickest wipe with no cleaner at all.

I for one would never let a little (or even a lot; and that hasn't been my experience) brake dust stopping me from buying an F-Type.
In answer to your questions, yes. I honestly just can't stand it. I really wish that I wasn't so obsessive, but that's just the way I am. I'd really like to find a good solution to enable me to pull the trigger.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order it right now and give it a try this weekend.

In answer to your questions, yes. I honestly just can't stand it. I really wish that I wasn't so obsessive, but that's just the way I am. I'd really like to find a good solution to enable me to pull the trigger.
This above all, "to thine own self be true" so I respect your decision; rather, attitude. Good luck!!! The car is simply amazing. To look at and, above all, to drive.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's really that big of an issue, you really should get the carbon ceramic brakes just for the lack of dust alone!

Old 09-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I hate brake dust, as well, but can't say that the F-Type is exceptionally bad for a performance vehicle. Dust was worse on the Brembo brakes on my Acura TL-S. A little wax on the wheels as a base, Sonax for touch up, and a quick pass with Woolies once in a while is fairly painless and all I need. Ceramic brakes is the alternative, but you'd have to hate brake dust a LOT to be willing to shell out for them.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I gave up fighting the brake dust and purchased black wheels.

They lose their glossy shine as the brake dust builds up, but it's at least tolerable for me now. A matte black finish would probably be ideal.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

There is more brake dust on my 'R' than what I was getting on Ferrari F355 or Scion FR-S prior to going to StopTech Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads on the previous vehicles. I'd like to swap the pads to ceramic on the 'R' to get rid of all the wheel cleaning I need to do after each drive.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by McGriddle
If it's really that big of an issue, you really should get the carbon ceramic brakes just for the lack of dust alone!
I'd actually consider that, but they're not available with a manual transmission which is a must for me.

Originally Posted by BierNut
I gave up fighting the brake dust and purchased black wheels.
I don't like black wheels, but I do believe that their increase in popularity is related to people not wanting to clean wheels as often.

Originally Posted by 355rockit
There is more brake dust on my 'R' than what I was getting on Ferrari F355 or Scion FR-S prior to going to StopTech Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads on the previous vehicles. I'd like to swap the pads to ceramic on the 'R' to get rid of all the wheel cleaning I need to do after each drive.
I have some Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads showing up today for my BMW 435i. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference they make.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I agree. That would solve your problem. Plus those come with great looking wheels.

Nevermind... just saw your note about the manual. I wouldn't have thought the MT would conflict with the brakes. That sounds like it could be a web configuration issue rather than an order issue.

Last edited by Merlin; 09-03-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Order the car with the ceramic option for less dust.

I checked with a manufacturer of aftermarket pads ( EBC.. they make 'red stuff' pads) at the beginning of the year and they advised that they are not making ceramics to fit the f-type R, yet.. check back at end of the year)

Lawrence.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow . . . impressions are all over the map. Mine's no better at 7K miles, and they are noticeably covered in black dust after 3 days. I tried the coatings and that didn't make a noticeable difference.

I suppose it depends upon whether you're on the highway all the time with minimal braking or spend a lot of time in stop and go city traffic. A lot of my miles are the latter.

However, with Sonax, they are equally easy to clean, coating or no coating.
I notice a little difference with a wheel sealant/wax. I used AF Mint Rims on one side to test. There is a noticeable difference as far as dust accumulating, but no difference in the cleaning process, so it's debatable if it's worth the time to apply.

I've used AF Iron out and Sonar Full Effect for cleaning - they're about the same effectiveness and price ... the only difference is Sonar is a lot easier to buy

Old 09-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
I wouldn't have thought the MT would conflict with the brakes. That sounds like it could be a web configuration issue rather than an order issue.
Nope. The 2016 brochure says the same thing. I can't figure out what one has to do with the other.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
The dust has got a lot better over time. It now takes several weeks to get the wheels dirty, rather than a couple of days...
This exactly...much less then when new.

Quick Reply: Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?