F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I mentioned to them they should amend their website to say it fits F-Types with the Performance Brakes.

The will not fit the std. Sport Brakes.
I'm kind of confused here. Based on the brochures I read, there are three names for the available brake systems:
1) Performance
2) High Performance
3) Super Performance

I'm not sure what they mean by standard sport brakes. My guess is they would be the same as Performance brakes.

Regardless, it's good to know that options are coming available.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
I'm kind of confused here. Based on the brochures I read, there are three names for the available brake systems:
1) Performance
2) High Performance
3) Super Performance

I'm not sure what they mean by standard sport brakes. My guess is they would be the same as Performance brakes.

Regardless, it's good to know that options are coming available.
Sorry, you're right--brain malfunction. I edited the post above to correct incorrect terminology.

It is a bit confusing now. Brochures referred to Performance brakes on the base, High Performance Brakes on the S, and Super Performance brakes on the R. Carbon Ceramic was the 4th option.

Based on that, I'm not sure what the EBCs fit now, but the tech implied they had them for every F-Type but the base w/ Performance brakes.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-04-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM

The '16 brochure refer to the braking options the same.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:13 AM

The info their order people had was that those pads will fit V8 cars, which come standard with the High Performance Brakes. They did not know that they are also an option on the V6 cars.
The info they have is incorrect (assuming things didn't change for the '15 & '16 model years). The Jaguar website states:
Jaguar Performance Braking System
(F-TYPE)
Jaguar High Performance Braking System
(F-TYPE S)
Jaguar Super Performance Braking System
(F-TYPE R)
Carbon Ceramic Matrix Braking System
(optional on F-TYPE S and R)

(I'll add that the Carbon Ceramic brakes are not available with the F-Type S if it has a manual transmission.)

Perhaps in a few weeks they'll know better what they have.

This is all good information here. I really appreciate the help.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The info they have is incorrect (assuming things didn't change for the '15 & '16 model years). The Jaguar website states:
Jaguar Performance Braking System
(F-TYPE)
Jaguar High Performance Braking System
(F-TYPE S)
Jaguar Super Performance Braking System
(F-TYPE R)
Carbon Ceramic Matrix Braking System
(optional on F-TYPE S and R)

(I'll add that the Carbon Ceramic brakes are not available with the F-Type S if it has a manual transmission.)

Perhaps in a few weeks they'll know better what they have.

This is all good information here. I really appreciate the help.
You should also be aware that the Super Performance Braking System is also available as an option on the F-Type S. That should be the same as the brakes on the R, so may not matter other than perhaps for a configurator to help select which pads are compatible with your car.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

It appears that EBC has availability in both Red Stuff and Yellow Stuff pads for the following models (Red Stuff part numbers listed only):

Base - Front Pads Only
Part# DP32189C

V6S w/ High Performance Brakes - Front Pads Only
Part# DP32191C

R and V6S w/ Super Performance Brakes - Front and Rear
Front
Part# DP32191C

Rear
Part# DP32190C

They have a gap in availability for rear pads for the smaller rear rotor size utilized in the base and V6S models. They only have pads for the larger rear discs used in the Super Performance Brakes on the R and V6S as an option. Both the High Performance Brakes and Super Performance Brakes utilize the same 380mm front disc.

FYI - CariD's website does list the pads for each package after you select "Product Options" and submodel (engine) options, it will list the following:

Old 09-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BierNut
It appears that EBC has availability in both Red Stuff and Yellow Stuff pads for the following models (Red Stuff part numbers listed only):

Base - Front Pads Only
Part# DP32189C

V6S w/ High Performance Brakes - Front Pads Only
Part# DP32191C

R and V6S w/ Super Performance Brakes - Front and Rear
Front
Part# DP32191C

Rear
Part# DP32190C

They have a gap in availability for rear pads for the smaller rear rotor size utilized in the base and V6S models. They only have pads for the larger rear discs used in the Super Performance Brakes on the R and V6S as an option. Both the High Performance Brakes and Super Performance Brakes utilize the same 380mm front disc.

FYI - CariD's website does list the pads for each package after you select "Product Options" and submodel (engine) options, it will list the following:

After 30 minutes of consultation with all of their "brake experts," I was specifically told they do not have an EBC pad that fits the base model with the base "Performance Brakes." Car ID says it fits cars with "Performance Package" but I think by that they mean what Jaguar calls High Performance or Super High performance. The only choices I get are 3.0 and 5.0 when you click submodel. They need to fix the website.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM

That works for me. I'd rather have the larger brakes anyway, though really only for looks.

And if you select the 5.0L option, then it shows the front and rear pads for what I'm guessing are the Super Performance brakes.

They really need to use the same terminology as Jaguar. Otherwise they're going to get returns caused by people ordering the wrong ones.

So who's going to be first to order a set of these pads?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM

Car ID says it fits cars with "Performance Package" but I think by that they mean what Jaguar calls High Performance or Super High performance.
They do mean exactly that, in that both the High Performance and Super Performance packages (JLR terminology) share the exact same front rotor and pads. Therefore we have EBC's "Performance Package" terminology, as it differs from the base model's smaller front rotors, which are offered separately as part# DP32189C.

EBC simply needs to manufacture pads for the smaller rear rotors of the base V6 and base V6S to cover all model variants. Had JLR not offered two different rear rotor sizes on the V6S, EBC's terminology would have aligned much better.

I do completely agree that CARiD's website does a poor job of explaining this, and could have been easily solved by listing the pads by model and brake option, obviously omitting a rear pad option for V6 and base V6S models without the Super Performance package.

As most of my brake dust is generated by the front pads, I'm happy to at least have a Red Stuff option for my front pads, as do you with part# DP32189C.

And if you select the 5.0L option, then it shows the front and rear pads for what I'm guessing are the Super Performance brakes.
That's correct, the V8 and V6S share the same front pads/rotors on all brake packages. Therefore they are to be considered the the Super Performance package or High Performance package front rotors in JLR lingo, or what EBC calls the "Performance Package". All V8s have the larger rear rotors, or EBC's Performance Package.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM

So who's going to be first to order a set of these pads?
I guess I am... just ordered a set of Red Stuff front pads.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Great! I've very interested in knowing how they perform, mostly from a dusting standpoint but also in performance comparison to the factory pads. Odd as it may sound, the excessive dusting is my biggest mental obstacle to purchasing an F-Type.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:20 PM

Great! I've very interested in knowing how they perform, mostly from a dusting standpoint but also in performance comparison to the factory pads. Odd as it may sound, the excessive dusting is my biggest mental obstacle to purchasing an F-Type.
I'll be sure to report back.

Quoted 2-3 weeks for shipping, so it may not be until next month.

Edit - Also, I would caution against not purchasing an F-Type based on brake dust quantity. This will be an issue you will face with any car with high performance brakes, unless you choose carbon ceramic. If I had to stop and clean my wheels every two miles, I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing this car. The fun this car provides is astounding, and difficult to properly express in words.

Last edited by BierNut; 09-04-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

They do mean exactly that, in that both the High Performance and Super Performance packages (JLR terminology) share the exact same front rotor and pads. Therefore we have EBC's "Performance Package" terminology, as it differs from the base model's smaller front rotors, which are offered separately as part# DP32189C.
But, but, but, . . . as I said after consulting with multiple "experts" at CarID this morning, they told me there were no EBCs that would fit the base F-Type, but they offered a Centric pad they said would fit for about half the EBC price.

I am very confused . . . and no way I'm ordering anything until another guinea pig with base "Performance brakes" tries, or unless some authoritative documentation shows up for a ceramic solution.

I do agree it is ridiculous to rule out purchasing the car because of the dust. Even though it would be nice to have a cleaner solution with equal or better performance, it is no big deal to clean with products like Sonax, which takes less than 10 minutes with a little help from a Wheel Woolie.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-04-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

If anyone does a DIY install the new pads, please post your experiences. I am a bit worrried about the auto-parking brake which the manual says can cause injury if not disabled either via Service Mode or by shutting down pweer and rotating the auto-PB mechanism prior to replacing pads.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:48 PM

Edit - Also, I would caution against not purchasing an F-Type based on brake dust quantity. This will be an issue you will face with any car with high performance brakes, unless you choose carbon ceramic. If I had to stop and clean my wheels every two miles, I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing this car. The fun this car provides is astounding, and difficult to properly express in words.
My other option is a BMW M4 with carbon ceramic brakes. The BMW carbon ceramic brakes cost a little over $8k. I might actually purchase them on an F-Type, but they're $15k and I'd have to give up the manual transmission which absolutely isn't going to happen. I have to admit I have an obsession about wheels. They have to be satin chrome in color and clean. I definitely appreciate what you're saying about the fun to drive factor. I enjoy driving my S2000 more than my 435i and neither have the power and performance that the F-Type does.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey guys,

I would recommend checking out our Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating. It's not a wheel wax or a sealant, it is a rock-hard barrier of protection that consists of nano-glass ceramic protection. This wheel coating will last up to 18 months. Usually it wears out a little quicker on cars that have extremely terrible brake dusting. Even with that said, I've seen the worst brake pad dusting on coated wheels last easily 8 months. Most of the time you don't even have to physically clean your wheels, you just rinse them off with a strong jet of water. Done! Very rarely will you actually have to grab some wheel cleaner and actually clean the brake dust off the coated wheels.

A nano-glass ceramic coating will repel the brake dust and prevent it from actually bonding to the wheel itself (which can result in pitting if not removed). Even if you get extremely nice brake pads that do not dust as much, I would still recommend coating your wheels with a nano-glass ceramic coating.

Here's a video showing the hydrophobic properties of this coating:

Pictures:

There are several reviews out there about this wheel coating as well:
Initial Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel and Glass Coating - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/re...wheel-coating/

Black Label wheel coating review - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Thanks for reading

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating

Last edited by PinnacleWax; 09-05-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

My other option is a BMW M4 with carbon ceramic brakes. The BMW carbon ceramic brakes cost a little over $8k. I might actually purchase them on an F-Type, but they're $15k and I'd have to give up the manual transmission which absolutely isn't going to happen. I have to admit I have an obsession about wheels. They have to be satin chrome in color and clean. I definitely appreciate what you're saying about the fun to drive factor. I enjoy driving my S2000 more than my 435i and neither have the power and performance that the F-Type does.
The F types are $12,000. But that includes upgrading to the forged wheels. If you look at most other manufacturers C/C option, it's for the brakes only, and it does no upgrade the wheels.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM

They're listed in the configurator on Jaguar's website as $14,450 for the F-Type S (if you choose the auto transmission). But yes, the wheels do add value that should be considered. I'm kind of different than most in that I like smaller diameter wheels.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 PM

They're listed in the configurator on Jaguar's website as $14,450 for the F-Type S (if you choose the auto transmission). But yes, the wheels do add value that should be considered. I'm kind of different than most in that I like smaller diameter wheels.
I was only looking at the R. That's $12,000 option.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by PinnacleWax
Hey guys,

I would recommend checking out our Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating. It's not a wheel wax or a sealant, it is a rock-hard barrier of protection that consists of nano-glass ceramic protection. This wheel coating will last up to 18 months. Usually it wears out a little quicker on cars that have extremely terrible brake dusting. Even with that said, I've seen the worst brake pad dusting on coated wheels last easily 8 months. Most of the time you don't even have to physically clean your wheels, you just rinse them off with a strong jet of water. Done! Very rarely will you actually have to grab some wheel cleaner and actually clean the brake dust off the coated wheels.

A nano-glass ceramic coating will repel the brake dust and prevent it from actually bonding to the wheel itself (which can result in pitting in not removed). Even if you get extremely nice brake pads that do not dust as much, I would still recommend coating your wheels with a nano-glass ceramic coating.

Here's a video showing the hydrophobic properties of this coating:

Pinnacle Black Lavel Diamond Wheel Coating - YouTube

Pictures:

There are several reviews out there about this wheel coating as well:
Initial Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel and Glass Coating - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/re...wheel-coating/

Black Label wheel coating review - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Thanks for reading

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating
Thanks, I am going to order this.

The following users liked this post:
PinnacleWax (09-05-2015)

Quick Reply: Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?