F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Agreed, it's worth a try.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I had my wheels cQuartzed. They retain very little dust which comes off easily with a pressure sprayer from a distance. No need to wipe.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Ordered the Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating.
(w/ 15% Labor Day discount > 10% Jaguar Discount)

PinnacleWax - How well might it work on exhaust tips?

Last edited by uncheel; 09-06-2015 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PinnacleWax (09-16-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
Ordered the Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating.
(w/ 15% Labor Day discount > 10% Jaguar Discount)

PinnacleWax - How well might it work on exhaust tips?
It would work great on the exhaust tips as well. I've always put a coating on my exhaust tips, it helps the cleaning procedure tremendously (buildup just wipes right off). Enjoy the products! Thanks

Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
The dust has got a lot better over time. It now takes several weeks to get the wheels dirty, rather than a couple of days...
Not on mine. Which brakes do you have and how many miles? I have 14,000 miles on the super performance brakes and they are no better now than when I bought the car. Just filthy. Fortunately the blade rims match brake dust fairly well.

Whatever pads jag uses are nasty. I clean the rims at least twice a week and would do it every day if I had the time. Worst car I've ever seen for this issue, and I rarely even use the brakes.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Not on mine. Which brakes do you have and how many miles? I have 14,000 miles on the super performance brakes and they are no better now than when I bought the car. Just filthy. Fortunately the blade rims match brake dust fairly well.

Whatever pads jag uses are nasty. I clean the rims at least twice a week and would do it every day if I had the time. Worst car I've ever seen for this issue, and I rarely even use the brakes.
+1. I think it depends upon how you use the brakes. If you spend most of your time on the highway in no traffic and largely coast to a stop, you probably don't have much dusting. If you're driving hard and braking hard, they'll be black after 2 days, and it won't ever get any better.

I've had 8 BMWs, and they were terrible dusters with the same result. I can't say the F-Type is worse, but it certainly is BMW's equal.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I swear I can wash the car, thoroughly clean the windows, then park the car back in the garage only to notice brake-dust build-up from that 30 foot trip!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I just ordered the Pinnacle product as well. I'll let everyone know how it works out. My fingers are crossed! The two terrible "B's"...brake dust and bugs!!!

PS..shout out to Nick at Pinnacle who helped me place my order. I'm on vacation in Maine and there is no cell service in the cottage I'm in. Had difficulty using the LD15 promo code but he is going to apply it manually for me. Thanks Nick. Great customer service!!

Last edited by 99Gsp; 09-09-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Additional comment
PinnacleWax (09-16-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the smallest brakes offered. The brake dust was out of hand for the first few thousand miles compared to other makes of car/pad material, but got better.

On the upside, it just rinses/wipes off. Others have dusted less, but etched the wheels...

Old 09-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

I have the smallest brakes offered. The brake dust was out of hand for the first few thousand miles compared to other makes of car/pad material, but got better.

On the upside, it just rinses/wipes off. Others have dusted less, but etched the wheels...
I have the same brakes you do, and I don't think it's gotten any better, but I do a lot of stop and go driving in very heavy traffic. I do agree it's easy to clean off.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

My experience mirrors yours...was impossible at first but now knocking on the door of 3500 miles and 1 year of service, it's improved 100%.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just reaching 3k and up until now the dust has been pretty bad. Hoping it gets better. Like OP said, two days of driving and they're noticeably covered.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

The only way it can get better is a result of the pads wearing down over time and very light brake use. When new, the lightest pressure on thicker, softer pads produces a lot of dust. As the pads wear and burn in, the surface layer becomes harder so light pressure probably doesn't produce as much dust.

However, if you use the brakes a lot, drive higher speeds, and wait later to brake requiring more pressure, they'll produce plenty of black dust for the life of the pads. I'm guessing that explains the differences in perception seen here.

Aggressive drivers, stop and go drivers, who are in heavy traffic a lot, and other heavy brake users likely never see improvement. Light brake users, as well as people who usually downshift for braking, and drivers mostly on light-traffic roads probably do see less.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

I for one try to use my brakes as little as possible but my driving style has not changed. When the car was new, I remember driving it 2 miles to my buddies used car lot and the front wheels were dull and noticeably dusted...I was kinda shocked.

Now I can drive the car a day or so and still not have them as dirty as when it was new so for me...far less brake dust them before...a noticeable difference.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I for one try to use my brakes as little as possible but my driving style has not changed. When the car was new, I remember driving it 2 miles to my buddies used car lot and the front wheels were dull and noticeably dusted...I was kinda shocked.

Now I can drive the car a day or so and still not have them as dirty as when it was new so for me...far less brake dust them before...a noticeable difference.
Buick,

You're confirming what I said above. You are a "light user," and they are heavy dusters no matter what you do when brand new. However I'm in stop and go traffic 5 days a week, 60 miles a day in my daily commute. I can be moving at 70 mph, reach the crest of a hill, and within seconds, braking hard for stopped traffic.

Mine have not gotten any better after 7K miles, so my brake usage, along with many others here, is considerably heavier than yours.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Initially, there was a lot of dust stuck to the rims because of the detailing product they used on the sidewalls. I cleaned that and was expecting the brake dust to settle down a bit. It hasn't.

I've ordered some Pinnacle Black Label wheel coating to see how much easier cleanup is. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't have high hopes.

The brakes do work though. I am not in the "hardly use the brakes" camp. Engines are for accelerating, brakes are for decelerating. I doubt that habit will ever fade much.

PinnacleWax (09-16-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that ordered the Pinnacle Wax Black Label Diamond Coating - how is it working?

Worth the $$?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Not an F Type owner yet but will be getting a 2016 F Type R convertible. The R coupe I test drove had the standard silver painted wheels and the fronts were black. I don't like black wheels so I will have the standard silver and may have them chromed later on.

I use Hawk Performance ceramics on my 2006 Corvette and EBC red stuff on my F430. Very minimal dust and I did not notice any degradation of performance and I am tough on brakes.

I hope the part numbers posted earlier for the EBC pads are correct for the F Type as this will be one of the first things I'll change once I take delivery.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Holden
For those that ordered the Pinnacle Wax Black Label Diamond Coating - how is it working?

Worth the $$?
I've had the Pinnacle coating for about a month. The dust is by no means absent, but may be a bit better. Definitely easy to spray and wipe dry.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I had my wheels cQuartzed. No real issue with dust build up. The little that does stick comes right of with the pressure washer. I haven't touched the wheels in 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?