F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I had my wheels cQuartzed. No real issue with dust build up. The little that does stick comes right of with the pressure washer. I haven't touched the wheels in 3000 miles.
LOL . . . you don't need any kind of coating to get a massive dust build-up off with a pressure washer.

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . you don't need any kind of coating to get a massive dust build-up off with a pressure washer.
Not really. The dust won't come off my MINI wheels (no coating) with the pressure washer alone. Soapy cloth or sponge needed as well. I'll probably coat them after I get them reconditioned.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Carid

Originally Posted by BierNut
I guess I am... just ordered a set of Red Stuff front pads.
Biernut,
I truly hope they ship those pads in a timely fashion. I've dealt with Carid on several occasions and they will outright lie to you about the availability of an item. I suspect that EBC have not manufactured these pads yet. I ordered a set of these from Carid 2 years ago when I bought a new XF. Turns out EBC took 6 months to manufacture them while Carid told me 2-3 weeks. You need to directly ask the manufacturer when they intend to make them.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drbill
Biernut,
I truly hope they ship those pads in a timely fashion. I've dealt with Carid on several occasions and they will outright lie to you about the availability of an item. I suspect that EBC have not manufactured these pads yet. I ordered a set of these from Carid 2 years ago when I bought a new XF. Turns out EBC took 6 months to manufacture them while Carid told me 2-3 weeks. You need to directly ask the manufacturer when they intend to make them.
Yep, I've yet to hear that they are actually available for the F-Type even though they list them.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
If anyone does a DIY install the new pads, please post your experiences. I am a bit worrried about the auto-parking brake which the manual says can cause injury if not disabled either via Service Mode or by shutting down pweer and rotating the auto-PB mechanism prior to replacing pads.
The rear pads are not really DIY. You need to be able to reset the electronic parking brake with some sort of specialized equipment.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Not really. The dust won't come off my MINI wheels (no coating) with the pressure washer alone. Soapy cloth or sponge needed as well. I'll probably coat them after I get them reconditioned.
Actually, neither pressure washing, nor coating is needed if you have Sonax wheel cleaner and a garden hose. It's available by the gallon on Amazon at a reasonable price. Since I discovered that stuff, based upon a recommendation here, I don't even care that the pads dust as much as they do.

Once a week, it's a simple spray on, wait until it turns bright red, and hose off. About once a month I do the same thing and use a Wheel Woolie to clean the insides. It's the simplest and quickest wheel cleaning process I've ever seen. I'm done in less time than it takes me to fire up the pressure washer and then put it away.

Mbourne (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I did wheel wax, slight improvement day to day and easier to dust off. Not worth the effort to put it on! Based on forum I bought sonax cleaner, it is great. I'm also using new snax product on tires, no spray on body and lasts weeks.

Foosh (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on wheels waxes. Never survived my cost/benefit analysis in multiple tries on many BMWs.

Will have to try the "snax." Is that the actual name of it?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for the cquartz. Every car I buy from here on out will get it all over.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Short for sonax, only insiders know this.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
Short for sonax, only insiders know this.
LOL . . . figured that out when I saw it on Amazon.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have high gloss black wheels which collect dust like its their job. CQuartz has definitely reduced the amount of dust I get on my wheels and Sonax is the best wheel cleaner I have ever used.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake dust

If the wheels are waxed and have smooth surface the dust brake is easy to remove with microfiber cloth. It takes about a minute per wheel.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I use this wheel cleaner, it it first rate. All of their products are. It is much less $ than sonax, but works the same turns purple/red as it reacts with the brake dust.

Deep Wheel Cleaner | Brake Dust Remover | Color Change Wheel Cleaner

Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjag
If the wheels are waxed and have smooth surface the dust brake is easy to remove with microfiber cloth. It takes about a minute per wheel.
Quite - I have wheel cleaners galore, including the Iron-x products that turn the metallic particles red.

it's all a great sales AKA - a load of cobblers!

I use a damp micro fibre cloth and a bucket of plain water. If you do them regularly, there is no need for ANY chemicals.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
I use a damp micro fibre cloth and a bucket of plain water. If you do them regularly, there is no need for ANY chemicals.
Quite right!

While I too use Sonax products, I find the need to use their excellent wheel cleaner far and in between (simple, chemical-free, washes).

Brake dust is also simply a product of the joy of driving (and braking).

jrc67 (01-02-2019)
Old 10-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Quite - I have wheel cleaners galore, including the Iron-x products that turn the metallic particles red.

Yes, I've been using the damp cloth and bucket of water for many years, and it works too, but it's dirty and very time-consuming.

I've used every auto parts store wheel cleaner available, as well as BMW-marketed expensive cleaners, and I was also extremely skeptical when someone said "Sonax" is the best ever. When I tried it, I was shocked. It is. Nothing else I've tried comes close.

It is not "snake oil." Spray on, hose off, hardly a need to touch anything, and done. I tried every method of wheel cleaning known to human kind, and this is by far the easiest. It's expensive, but worth every penny to me.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

On Amazon, I see Sonax 'Wheel Cleaner Full Effect' and Sonax 'Wheel Cleaner Plus.' In the Amazon description, I can see the following differences for Plus:
1. 'Sprays on clear, turns red as dirt and grime is penetrated' (Full Effect is green)
2. '30 percent Stronger than SONAX Wheel Cleaner full effect'

Which have you used? I may have to try this, as I use my wheel brush with car soap. Takes about 20 minutes to do all 4 wheels.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
On Amazon, I see Sonax 'Wheel Cleaner Full Effect' and Sonax 'Wheel Cleaner Plus.' In the Amazon description, I can see the following differences for Plus:
1. 'Sprays on clear, turns red as dirt and grime is penetrated' (Full Effect is green)
2. '30 percent Stronger than SONAX Wheel Cleaner full effect'

Which have you used? I may have to try this, as I use my wheel brush with car soap. Takes about 20 minutes to do all 4 wheels.
I bought a gallon of "Full Effect." If Plus is better, I can't imagine how or why it needs to be 30% better. "Full Effect" does spray on green/yellow and turns red, but it literally removes all traces of dust with a hose off.

It does have a funky smell, but that's gone once hosed off.

It's made in Germany, is acid-free, and is claimed to be safe for all wheels and brake systems.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel

You keep on using your mico fiber cloth and bucket of water. I much prefer chemicals and hands free.

Quick Reply: Will the brake dust dissapate after bed-in...?