F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?

Curious of how the vote to leave the EU and the drop in the value of the British pound will affect the the cost of British made exported cars?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

It won't. Jag will continue to differentially price by market to optimize its revenues based on the price/demand curve in each market. Pricing based on cost is a fools errand. We will see no price reduction as a result of their currency devaluation.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From an Econ Perspective, It could drop the price on products that are manufactured in Britain or come out of Britain to the outside market like US, Europe, etc. There would be a decrease in demand causing the price levels go down a bit. The main question here is whether the demand for a premium car like Jag is in-elastic or elastic ? I would say demand is somewhat elastic for Jags in the free-trade market.

Nowadays, its not just the rich buying premium cars everyone else is buying premium cars also. I see so many beamers and benzs on the road now and Jag came out with XE to compete 3 series and hang in there with em. XF making appeals to bmw 5 series crowd and so forth ..... Either way, Its gonna be cheaper in the future for sure price wise.

Last edited by tiger_reddy; 06-24-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It won't. Jag will continue to differentially price by market to optimize its revenues based on the price/demand curve in each market. Pricing based on cost is a fools errand. We will see no price reduction as a result of their currency devaluation.
+1. Lower value of the £ will benefit the UK export business. They could lower the price in $ and increase sale, and make the same profit pr unit, or keep the price in $ and increase the profit pr unit (in £).

There are off course other parameters that influense this (what currency they pay for the raw materials, components etc), but since the car is produced in UK, I would guess the nett ballance will be in favour of JLR.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne

There are off course other parameters that influense this (what currency they pay for the raw materials, components etc), but since the car is produced in UK, I would guess the nett ballance will be in favour of JLR.
Yes, and to the detriment of the British labor force that relies on a significant amount of imported goods. Given the stupidity of the US electorate in the recent primaries, I can't criticize the stupidity of the Brexit vote.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-24-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

+1. Lower value of the £ will benefit the UK export business. They could lower the price in $ and increase sale, and make the same profit pr unit, or keep the price in $ and increase the profit pr unit (in £).

Well, 55% of the content of my car was German.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine is 48% German and 45% UK, but I think this is being overthought. I read that it will be two years before anything is implemented..

Larry

Old 06-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well, 55% of the content of my car was German.
Probably not far off, but the cost of making the car is a lot more than the content of the car. And most (everything?) else is Brittish.

Another thing is that the £ has dropped a lot vs $, but not nearly as much vs € - where some 50-55% of the parts are made.

And they probably have some long time currency insurance done as well, so I don't think the cost of parts will have as much influence as Brittish labour cost will.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Mine is 48% German and 45% UK, but I think this is being overthought. I read that it will be two years before anything is implemented..

Larry
The Pound is right now only worth $1.36.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky

Larry
The change in currency rate will have an imidiate effect on cost. How much depend on some variables, such as currency rate insurance etc by the different actors involved in the complete production, procurement and sales chain.

ps: sorry for my somewhat poor english and use of "incorrect" expressions, but I hope you understand the context...

Last edited by Arne; 06-24-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

The change in currency rate will have an imidiate effect on cost. How much depend on some variables, such as currency rate insurance etc by the different actors involved in the complete production, procurement and sales chain.

ps: sorry for my somewhat poor english and use of "incorrect" expressions, but I hope you understand the context...
Arne, you are easier to understand than many of our native English-speaking members.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Arne, you are easier to understand than many of our native English-speaking members.
He may be - oh he is - Unhinged but he's also right Arne!

Cheers from the [still] United States of America.
Jay

P.S. Don't know anything about currency rate "insurance" but do know a lot about currency hedging (and perhaps that's what you mean?) as that was one of my specialities years ago.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
He may be - oh he is - Unhinged but he's also right Arne!

Cheers from the [still] United States of America.
Jay

P.S. Don't know anything about currency rate "insurance" but do know a lot about currency hedging (and perhaps that's what you mean?) as that was one of my specialities years ago.
Thanks - to both of you

I don't know what the term "hedging" means in practical terms (how it works), but what I mean with currency insurance is a couple of things. It can be that you as a Brittish procurer of German parts have made the deal for procurement for the next 1-2 years in a fixed price in £. In that way the currency risk is at the supplier, which in their turn may reduce their risk by buying £ in the aproximate amount of the expected sale.

Or the Brittish procurer might buy the German parts in € and reduce their currency risk by buying € (the aproximate amount for exc. 1 year of expected total cost of ordered parts), and then sell the € off to £ at the same rate as the value of the parts keep coming in.

There is a small aditional cost in doing so, therefore the use of the term "insurance".

Or you can take the risk of gaining or loosing when the currency value changes, but that is more or less the same as gambling in currency trading - and not all production companies are comfortable (or competent enough) to risk that.

Last edited by Arne; 06-24-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks - to both of you

I don't know what the term "hedging" means in practical terms (how it works), but what I mean with currency insurance is a couple of things. It can be that you as a Brittish procurer of German parts have made the deal for procurement for the next 1-2 years in a fixed price in £. In that way the currency risk is at the supplier, which in their turn may reduce their risk by buying £ in the aproximate amount of the expected sale.

Or the Brittish procurer might buy the German parts in € and reduce their currency risk by buying € (the aproximate amount for exc. 1 year of expected total cost of ordered parts), and then sell the € off to £ at the same rate as the value of the parts keep coming in.

There is a small aditional cost in doing so, therefore the use of the term "insurance".

Or you can take the risk of gaining or loosing when the currency value changes, but that is more or less the same as gambling in currency trading - and not all production companies are comfortable (or competent enough) to risk that.
In essence, you've captured the gist of hedging. The word "insurance" might apply to buying options on (currency) futures and paying what's called a "premium", which is just another word for "price". The buyer of an option has limited risk and unlimited potential whereas the seller has limited potential but unlimited risk (although the odds are much better for the seller than the buyer of options as time - and decay - works against the buyer and in favor of the seller). And, yes, the buyer of an option - especially as a hedge and not just for speculation - is buying a form of insurance.

Trading or hedging futures are an entirely different animal and companies - and individual speculators - can and do lock in prices for many months and many years in the future, hence the name futures. It's a long-standing way of managing and reducing risk. I will add, potentially.

Both options on futures and futures outright might be an effective tool of management given the continuous uncertainly of the world. Needless to say, risks abound.

Now, not only is your English better but - potentially - you have a little better understanding of hedging? Then again...maybe not. In any event, sending you my best from the Great State of Maine!

Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-24-2016 at 03:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Arne (06-27-2016), Uk2usa (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:26 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Gee, Jay, you almost sound like you know what you're talking about...

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Gee, Jay, you almost sound like you know what you're talking about...
Any resemblance to a display of intellectual knowledge is merely coincidental.

Mbourne (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jay. It did give me a little better understanding of Hedging, and I appreciate your effort!

Speculation is never an exact "science", but with enough knowledge of risks and experience, the risks are being reduced and the gains might be high.

Personally I like to play it safe, and I can't complain of how that has worked out til now.

Very happy I am not in the financial business at times being

Old 06-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jay. It did give me a little better understanding of Hedging, and I appreciate your effort!

Speculation is never an exact "science", but with enough knowledge of risks and experience, the risks are being reduced and the gains might be high.

Personally I like to play it safe, and I can't complain of how that has worked out til now.

Very happy I am not in the financial business at times being
Always a pleasure Arne! My very last comments - since I've veered slightly off-topic - are these:

Practically any and all investments carry risk. If someone tells you otherwise RUN! Some more than others. Having said that, risk can be managed and/or mitigated. The key is diligence and the ability to put ones ego in check and know what you're getting into (thoughtfully, mindfully, and realistically and setting goals and when to say "uncle"...before it's too late and you go bust, or worse; and in futures that can happen if one doesn't know what they're doing). Last but not least, the three components to market influence are 1) fundamentals which usually consist of supply/demand, 2) technical which consists of the interpretation of charts (past price action depicted on a graph, whether 5 min ago or 5 days, 5 weeks, months, etc. and obviously "5" is just being used arbitrarily here), and the often elusive and least understood 3) psychological which may or may not have any correlation to the first two. I call fundamentals the Queen Mary of analysis as it often takes a long time to turn things around, whereas on any given day (week, month, etc.) technical and/or psychological (a.k.a sentiment) considerations rule. Those last two are occasionally viewed as part of the "dark arts" with some less believing of its influence than others. I believe!

Speaking in general and/or rough terms. For what it's worth.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-24-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Jay, not off topic at all. Gets into the detail of one factor that needs to be understood and considered to fully answer the OP's question.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-24-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Jay, not off topic at all. Gets into detail of one of the legends required to fully answer the OP's question.
You want off topic? I'll give you off topic...I certainly hope you're eating some of the amazing foods the Big Easy is famous for, including one of my top 3 dishes of all-time, crawfish etouffee!? Maybe some shrimp gumbo? Definitely some hot beignet!

No hedging necessary.

Have fun U, amidst your work.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-24-2016 at 10:55 PM.
slojotaa (06-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?