F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
You want off topic? I'll give you off topic...I certainly hope you're eating some of the amazing foods the Big Easy is famous for, including one of my top 3 dishes of all-time, crawfish etouffee!? Maybe some shrimp gumbo? Definitely some hot beignet!

No hedging necessary.

Have fun U, amidst your work.
Dinner tonight: Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, Octopus Salad and Bananas Foster Cream Pie. How's that for OT? (And a glass of Pinot Noir). The only thing missing was a drive in the F-Type to round off the evening.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Dinner tonight: Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, Octopus Salad and Bananas Foster Cream Pie. How's that for OT? (And a glass of Pinot Noir). The only thing missing was a drive in the F-Type to round off the evening.
Since we are off topic, I am going out to a restaurant (used to be a lighthouse) on an very small Island just outside Oslo (by boat) together with 14 childhood friends today.

Menu is crab, king crab, lobster, shrimp, oyster ++ and loads of wine and beer. Weather is perfect, so all looks good

Old 06-25-2016, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Two well-driven and well-fed Forum members. Love it! Carry on gentlemen.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Default hypersensitivity

Originally Posted by Cambo
How many threads do we need about Brexit???

How does a Brexit effect our F-Types?

Jaguar land rover predicts $1.5 billion loss if brexit passes

Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?

The next person to start a thread on Brexit will take a 1 week unpaid vacation from this forum.
Cambo,
Why the hypersensitivity on this issue to the point of shutting down a thread? Lot's of other unchallenged overlapping threads exist on this forum. Just combine the threads, don't shut them down.

Anything related to the F-Type, including macro-economic impact on pricing should be fair game. As a result of a narrow-minded electorate, I personally lost enough money yesterday to pay for a brand new SVR. The issue is on a lot of people's minds.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Cambo,
Why the hypersensitivity on this issue to the point of shutting down a thread? Lot's of other unchallenged overlapping threads exist on this forum. Just combine the threads, don't shut them down.

Anything related to the F-Type, including macro-economic impact on pricing should be fair game. As a result of a narrow-minded electorate, I personally lost enough money yesterday to pay for a brand new SVR. The issue is on a lot of people's minds.
+1 Yeah, I lost a lot of money yesterday as well. I don't understand the hair-trigger reaction on this one either. There are always redundant threads here.

I posted what I thought was an interesting article on the automakers initial thoughts and concerns, and that thread was closed. I put it in the now-closed "Brexit" thread, because this one had become focused upon culinary matters and what's for dinner.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-25-2016 at 10:09 AM.
SinF (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
....because this one had become focused upon culinary matters and what's for dinner.
Yeah, pretty silly, huh? lol

Old 06-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Reposted here for those who may miss the now closed thread.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...u-after-brexit

Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

What will happen is all up in the air now. I personally believe the brexit was a great thing. The EU is becoming too oppressive. Who wouldn't want their sovereignty? I do think the EU is doomed to break up now.

All this panic in the markets is just ridiculous. But they will sort themselves out, they are way over inflated anyway due to years of zero interest rates and will have to correct someday.

In the immediate and over the next year, I don't think this will inflate or deflate the price of British autos.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

On the up side, for anyone wanting to import an American pick up truck to the UK, after we leave the EU hopefully wont have to pay the 22% import duty the EU has set, will still have to pay the 20% VAT though.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
On the up side, for anyone wanting to import an American pick up truck to the UK, after we leave the EU hopefully wont have to pay the 22% import duty the EU has set, will still have to pay the 20% VAT though.
One would hope the UK starts to change some of these laws to stimulate their economy. 20% VAT, just ludicrous.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Yeah, pretty silly, huh? lol
Shocking.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
One would hope the UK starts to change some of these laws to stimulate their economy. 20% VAT, just ludicrous.
You can tax the income/salary or you can tax the use of the income/salary (VAT). It's a ballance and either have their pro and cons.

Foosh (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Ironically, that 20% VAT rate was set by our last elected coalition government so we could try to afford our social programs, the main political party of which was re-elected to form a majority govenment barely a year ago. Democracy, right?

Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Trade agreements might have to be re-negotiated. The taxes and tariffs are pretty straight forward in as much as, let's say, France or Germany might say, if you want to sell in our. Countries we are going to charge a 50% import duty from now on, unless the cars have at least 80% German (or French) content, or you build them in our country.

The not so straightforward part might come in is they suddenly demand that all imported cars need to have at least 60% re-cycle able content, or your Jaguars now have to exceed German crash test standards etc.

Obviously I made all the percentages and scenarios up to illustrate how complicated things could actually get for JLR.

I worked at a BMW plant in SA for a few years which is there to enable South Africans to avoid the staggering 100% import Tarrif if the Car isn't built there.

Here in the US we pay less for Jaguars than those in the UK and they're built there.

Is the 20% VAT built into the retail price in the UK or is it added? I can't remember. In my area of the US it's added and around 8%.

Foosh (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Price never comes down but they would be hard pressed to get an increase

Old 06-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
You can tax the income/salary or you can tax the use of the income/salary (VAT). It's a ballance and either have their pro and cons.
Yep, services such as schools, police, fire, garbage pick-up, etc. have to be paid for somehow. It can be done w/ income taxes, sales (VAT) taxes, property taxes, etc. Every jurisdiction has a different formula, and even in U.S. states that don't have an income tax, they make it up w/ some other form of tax.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What will happen is all up in the air now. I personally believe the brexit was a great thing. The EU is becoming too oppressive. Who wouldn't want their sovereignty? I do think the EU is doomed to break up now.
+1, there's way more involved in the issue than just free trade. If it was just about free trade, I think it would have been a no-brainer for them to stay in. I'm happy for Great Britain.

All this panic in the markets is just ridiculous. But they will sort themselves out, they are way over inflated anyway due to years of zero interest rates and will have to correct someday.
Yep. Watch for the ruling class to capitalize on the opportunity to blame Brexit for whatever negative economic events occur. Heck, they're already predicting a recession within a year and literally nothing has changed. In the long run I think that Great Britain will be stronger economically due to not having to support other EU countries that are weaker economically. This of course assumes that they're able to negotiate good free trade deals with those left in the EU.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

JLR estimates its annual profit could drop by 1 billion pounds, or $1.47 billion. Exports to countries on the continent could impose tariffs of as much as 10%; exported auto parts could face tariffs of about 2.7% - all to be worked out over the next two years.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Yep. Watch for the ruling class to capitalize on the opportunity to blame Brexit for whatever negative economic events occur. Heck, they're already predicting a recession within a year and literally nothing has changed. In the long run I think that Great Britain will be stronger economically due to not having to support other EU countries that are weaker economically. This of course assumes that they're able to negotiate good free trade deals with those left in the EU.
Global warming, global cooling, drought in CA, flooding in TX, terrorism, the Kardashian's, Hillarys lost emails, ... All will be blamed on the Brexit.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Global warming, global cooling, drought in CA, flooding in TX, terrorism, the Kardashian's, Hillarys lost emails, ... All will be blamed on the Brexit.
Wow . . .

This group has done a good job of keeping silly political commentary out of the F-Type forum. I hope it stays that way.

This thread sought to solicit views with regard to the effect of the UK election on the cost of Jaguars, and to some extent the UK auto industry in general.

Quick Reply: Will the Brexit vote to leave the EU affect the cost of Jaguars?